2014-15 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
    I don't think I'll ever understand why stuff like this isn't common. I mean, I know all the reasons that have been said, but the novelty of local tournaments would be absolutely amazing for economy, rivalries, fence-sitting fans, non con scheduling, etc.

Honestly, with the new conferences for many local schools, it makes more sense than ever. Mizzou, Creighton, Colorado, Colorado St, Nebraska, Tulsa and WSU all represent a different conference now. KU, Kstate, OU and OSU may not want to play each other before big 12 time but they may not even have to if you do a couple or three different tournaments over the course of a few years.

These should be happening all the time. The fact that is literally never happening is fascinating. Maybe what it needs is a really visionary promoter to make an offer
    Just need someone with the capitol to front the arena rentals, the money to guarantee payments to the schools, work with the AD's & Coaches to get the teams involved.

*sigh* If I was a promoter, I'd try and make it happen ASAP.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      Just need someone with the capitol to front the arena rentals, the money to guarantee payments to the schools, work with the AD's & Coaches to get the teams involved.

*sigh* If I was a promoter, I'd try and make it happen ASAP.
      It would make a killing, but it would take a killing to front as well. There are people rich enough to consider it. I'm pretty sure that's what this whole idea needs

Comment

• Love the idea! Should it go through at some point...the one thing Wichita St. would NEED before signing is a written guarantee in the contract stating that Wichita St. gets an allotted 3,000 to 5,000 tickets.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          Love the idea! Should it go through at some point...the one thing Wichita St. would NEED before signing is a written guarantee in the contract stating that Wichita St. gets an allotted 3,000 to 5,000 tickets.
          Knudson probably wasn't even thinking along those lines but you know that's one of the reasons promoters like inviting Wichita State, our fans travel well and represent like few NCAA programs.

Comment

• I know Denver isn't exactly Maui, but really -- would it be impossible to get eight teams of regional or even semi-regional interest, divide them into two four-team pools that play round robin, and then for the permitted fourth game play 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, etc.? If teams are willing to go to KC, they ought to be willing to go to Denver. Or if Denver doesn't work, how about JerryWorld on a weekend when the Cowboys are out of town?

Edit: Just saw the post from Bluz (and AZ, whom you quoted) -- one other thing: also the customary guarantee that if DePaul is there, they'll be in the other bracket.
            Last edited by WSUwatcher; December 12, 2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
              Knudson probably wasn't even thinking along those lines but you know that's one of the reasons promoters like inviting Wichita State, our fans travel well and represent like few NCAA programs.
              Thinking about this a tad more...if that tourney ever gets re-started...they would do better to invite a Creighton or Nevada or one of the New Mexico schools. I mean if you're gonna have a tourney in your home state you want one of the home (Colorado) schools to win it. Especially in front of a sold-out arena with home fans. Unfortunately that really wouldn't work too well for the good folks of Colorado should they bring in Wichita St.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                Thinking about this a tad more...if that tourney ever gets re-started...they would do better to invite a Creighton or Nevada or one of the New Mexico schools. I mean if you're gonna have a tourney in your home state you want one of the home (Colorado) schools to win it. Especially in front of a sold-out arena with home fans. Unfortunately that really wouldn't work too well for the good folks of Colorado should they bring in Wichita St.
                I believe he mentioned New Mexico in the article (finally found the right link: http://milehighsports.com/2014/12/11...ege-basketball) but not necessarily as one of the invited teams.

Comment

• I already proposed a "mini" Champions Classic of sorts.

WSU, Gonzaga, VCU, SDSU

I think something like this could guarantee a good game each year and some national attention.
                  The Assman

Comment

• Posted this on the Detriot game thread, but when Lebron talks about you that counts as (social)media love as well:

@KingJames: Watching lil cuz @DCarter12_ go to work! #DoubleDouble #GoShockers
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                      I call dibs to the front of the line to buy tickets for any ballgame in Denver that involves the Shockers.
                      Of course YOU do. Homer.

Comment

• Ron Baker mention..
                        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Standing pat at #11 in this poll.
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                            Just saw the post from Bluz (and AZ, whom you quoted) -- one other thing: also the customary guarantee that if DePaul is there, they'll be in the other bracket.
                            Lol - yes....got to have DePaul there. Ha-ha
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Darius Carter receives MVC Player of the Week recognition after posting Double-Doubles in both games last week. Way to go, DC! A couple more of those games would be really nice to see to end out December. Could start to impact opponent scouting reports and relieve some pressure from the guards.

Comment

• "They ain't scoring 80 tonight I guarantee you that"
                                Mark Adams speaking of Alabama during the UNC game preceding WSU v Alabama on ESPN 2

Comment

Working...
                                X