No announcement yet.

Bracketology - 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, VCU fan here. I don't see you guys dropping a game for the rest of the season, so pretty sure there's a great chance you all will lock up one of those No.1 seeds. Right now our team is sitting around the 8-9 range (with still time to move up with games against UMass, SLU at our place, A-10 tourny, etc)...but anyway, if we DO stay on that 8/9 path, I would love to see you guys in that second game. And I don't say that as a "WSU is an overrated No.1 seed", I say it because we've had some CLASSIC battles over the years: our win at your place that basically punched our 2011 bid (Joey Rodriguez running the floor...I'd be pissed if I were you guys because of the foul, but as a VCU fan, clearly enjoyed it) and then with us edging you all in the tournament the following season on the classic 12 v 5 upset (when I saw WSU as our opponent I though "F###" because I really thought you guys had a Final 4 team that season...had no idea you had one the next year). Then last year's game at our place where Armstead hit that dagger on us (...sucked). Anyway, just thought it would make for a fun matchup with the recent history. I've got a ton of respect for Wichita State and deep down hope somehow we'll end up in a league together.

That said...IF VCU and WSU play in the tournament....how many times are we going to hear the "You Don't Wanna Go to War" song between both of our bands?
    Last edited by NattyMat; February 17, 2014, 01:21 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by NattyMat View Post
      Hey guys, VCU fan here. I don't see you guys dropping a game for the rest of the season, so pretty sure there's a great chance you all will lock up one of those No.1 seeds. Right now our team is sitting around the 8-9 range (with still time to move up with games against UMass, SLU at our place, A-10 tourny, etc)...but anyway, if we DO stay on that 8/9 path, I would love to see you guys in that second game. And I don't say that as a "WSU is an overrated No.1 seed", I say it because we've had some CLASSIC battles over the years: our win at your place that basically punched our 2011 bid (Joey Rodriguez running the floor...I'd be pissed if I were you guys because of the foul, but as a VCU fan, clearly enjoyed it) and then with us edging you all in the tournament the following season on the classic 12 v 5 upset (when I saw WSU as our opponent I though "F###" because I really thought you guys had a Final 4 team that season...had no idea you had one the next year). Then last year's game at our place where Armstead hit that dagger on us (...sucked). Anyway, just thought it would make for a fun matchup with the recent history. I've got a ton of respect for Wichita State and deep down hope somehow we'll end up in a league together.

That said...IF VCU and WSU play in the tournament....how many times are we going to hear the "You Don't Wanna Go to War" song between both of our bands?
      Thanks for the post. I agree there is a nice rivalry that needs to get built on before it disappears. Our coaches need to be talking every season about scheduling.

As for the war song, I think it would be somewhat correct for everyone on both sides of the arena to be singing it. I don't want to go to war with VCU and VCU doesn't want to go to war with WSU :) mutual respect.

Comment

Originally posted by NattyMat View Post

While I have a lot of respect for your program, VCU and SMU are the 8/9 seeds I'd rather stay far away from. The games have been great and competitive, and that is what worries me. I'd much rather play a middling power conference team. Even if we won, I'd rather VCU play against someone like Arizona and hopefully upset them. We are fighting the same fight, and I'd rather both teams go on long runs again than let one get knocked out early.

Comment

Another WSU - VCU match up would be EPIC. See ya' in St Louie. ;)
          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
            While I have a lot of respect for your program, VCU and SMU are the 8/9 seeds I'd rather stay far away from. The games have been great and competitive, and that is what worries me. I'd much rather play a middling power conference team. Even if we won, I'd rather VCU play against someone like Arizona and hopefully upset them. We are fighting the same fight, and I'd rather both teams go on long runs again than let one get knocked out early.
            Agreed, and this is exactly why we will get matched up against VCU or someone similarly fighting the same battle. Basketball gods forbid that a bunch of crappy, gimmicky mid major children populate the later rounds of the dance

Comment

To make a run deep in the tournament you are going to have to beat good teams. No need to be scared.
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

VCU is the one prospective 8/9 team that I would be very unhappy to be paired with. If we are going to get an A-10 team in that game, I very much hope it is UMass instead.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cat View Post
                  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ee-field-of-68

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

These latest brackets to come out are starting to make a lot more sense.
                  I really like that ESPN bracket.

Kansas/Creighton together on one side of the bracket. And no one I'd be particularly worried about on our side of the bracket. New Mexico/Arizona State in the third round, Michigan/Texas in the fourth, Kansas/Memphis or Louisville/Creighton in the fifth? I like our chances a hell of a lot.

(Plus, Creighton would inevitably lose to Louisville and fail to make the Sweet 16 again.)
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Congrats Shockers on your extraordinary run (and I'm not just talking about this year and last year). I have been following your guys progress all year (who hasn't?) And I really like your guys balance and toughness.

All this debate about seeds and whatnot will take care of itself. Ultimately, you guys will have a great chance to "March again". You are certainly one of the top teams in the nation, and have managed to replace Beast Hall nicely with your trio.

Prediction: Wessel will awaken when least expected - during NCAAS.

I think that your offense is much better this year, but defense takes a slight step back. But the grit these guys show is strong as ever.

One question: which team do you guys feel is the absolutely most dangerous for you in the field? I'm going with Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by MetDrakeFan View Post
                      Prediction: Wessel will awaken when least expected - during NCAAS..
                      Tim Henderson Wessel. Or, for Shocker baseball history buffs, maybe David Sanders Wessel.

When you're as good an athlete as Evan is, and you have as much big game leadership experience as he accumulated in two different sports in high school, you're not going to be scared to take -- and make -- a shot or shots, or a play, in a big game.

By the way, in response to your question, DrakeFan, I agree about Florida being the biggest threat -- not just to WSU but to anyone. If I were voting in somebody's poll, I'd have them #1 right now.

Comment

Personally, I'm hoping VCU gets KU in the 2nd round, either as a 7 or a 10. I'd love to see the pressure they put on their guards and the decision making of the freshman.

Comment

As of this afternoon, the Shockers are still gaining bracket places and are making their #1 seed even stronger. Seven more brackets have been added since last update, now total 81 brackets, with an overall average of 1.28 seeds.

Shockers rank out as:

#1 Seed - 62 times (76.5%)
                          #2 Seed - 16 times (19.8%)
                          #3 Seed - 2 times (2.5%)
                          #4 Seed - 1 time (1.2%)

Comment

Good heavens: #4? Is that Ron Morris's private bracket prediction, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                              When you're as good an athlete as Evan is, and you have as much big game leadership experience as he accumulated in two different sports in high school, you're not going to be scared to take -- and make -- a shot or shots, or a play, in a big game.
                              Not sure I will go so far as to say Evan would be afraid to take a big sot in a big game. I don't think he would be. However, I do think he has a couple of issues with his shooting. One is that his mechanics just don't look good. Perhaps, more importantly his confidence seems to be non-existent right now. He is 0-20 from behind the arc and most of those misses have not been close. He is 11-16 from inside the arc but I'm thinking the majority of his makes have been layups. Furthermore, he is a pretty pedestrian (to say the very least) at 7-13 (54.9%) from the line although I do think he has looked a little better from the line in recent games. I suppose that can be turned around but I would hate to have to rely on Evan breaking out of his season-long slump for our post-season success.

OTOH, Evan really doesn't have to knock down shots to provided valuable minutes for the Shocks. He is a solid defender and a really good rebounder. Understands the offense and doesn't turn the ball over much.

I would love to see Evan break out of his year-long slump but I'm not counting on it. Looks to me like his shot needs a total rebuild which will probably take the off-season to accomplish. I can see him coming back with much-improved shooting results next year.

I hope this post will be the one that makes me look stupid before the year is done.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                                Thanks for the post. I agree there is a nice rivalry that needs to get built on before it disappears. Our coaches need to be talking every season about scheduling.

As for the war song, I think it would be somewhat correct for everyone on both sides of the arena to be singing it. I don't want to go to war with VCU and VCU doesn't want to go to war with WSU :) mutual respect.
                                Totally agree. Marshall also has a BUNCH of ties to this area (graduate from both Randolph-Macon and Richmond), so I imagine he wouldn't mind heading back for a few games around here. If we don't play you guys I wouldn't be surprised if there was a series with Richmond instead.

I'm sure if either band fired up the War song you'd basically hear an entire arena singing.

Comment

Working...
                                X