#6 WSU @ Missouri State Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
    That makes sense... My point was that the fouling strategy has failed to produce better results in college basketball games. Prior to my posts, others were acting like it was a no-brainer....
    You have to consider the 2 teams playing the game as well. It's one thing to have data on all games, it's another to know that your team has an advantage rebounding the basketball.

If there is a statistical advantage either way, it isn't much. So I would say it comes down to who's on the floor.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

• Those who are debating foul/no foul obviously didn't see the results of MT not fouling in the final seconds ever and the Shockers getting beat/sent to overtime on last second 30 ft. 3's at a pace way greater than single digit percentages. Ask UNI fans.
      Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Someone with a MVCfans account should set the record straight on the out of bounds call that was reversed. They somehow think it was off of Gulley, but it should not have been overturned since Gulley was "Fouled." That is creative.
        Looks like it's been corrected. While I happen to think that the block/charge and 1 foul was called correctly, I am surprised Fred got that on the road.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Looks like it's been corrected. While I happen to think that the block/charge and 1 foul was called correctly, I am surprised Fred got that on the road.
          Agreed. As the secondary defender, he has to be COMPLETELY set. Scheer was falling back a little.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
            Didnt we come back on SIU down 22?
            I was there for that one, but we lost...if I recall correctly.

Comment

• Had we played angrier the first half we would not have put ourselves in such a bad
              situation. I hope THAT is the lesson we bring away from last nights game and NOT
              that we can just turn things on and off........better teams won't be so accommodating.

Comment

• Originally posted by chitown_shocker View Post
                If you are playing the odds, you foul. This was explained well during the game. The odds say it is more difficult to 1. Make a free throw 2. Miss a free throw and get the board. 3. Make the follow.

It may always look like you came close to losing, but odds are better than a decent look at a three.
                Agree...too many things have to happen following a foul, where if you allow the 3-ball there is only one thing that needs to happen. And if you foul on that you could lose too.

Comment

• Which comeback was betta? The one versus Illinois State there last Season when we were down 7 with around 40 some seconds or last night? Our team is resilient and bad to the bone and the battle is not over when the plump lady is hummin, but rather when the last buzzer sounds or when our road warriors say so. Which ever happens first.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

People have and the math says not to foul. It is extremely difficult to make a three when the other team knows you need it. The shooting percentages have a remarkable drop in the late game situations. Unfortunately, out of the hundreds of games a day there may be a dagger three once every few weeks(which gets a ton of media coverage) that causes people to overestimate how likely the shooting team is to score.

As stated in another post there is historical data that backs this up. See kenpom...
                    Really? Ask KU and Trey Burke...not arguing, just saying

Comment

• How do you possibly beat a team when 19 down with around 11 minutes left. Instead of firing 3's as a first look, you penetrate, draw fouls, get in the double bonus and make the throws. However, that is not enough. You also pick up the defense intensity without fouling often and stopping the clock for them. You work first for the easier shots before firing up the 3's. Once you get to the line and stop the clock over and over again, you have to make most of the throws. You give them few second shots and rebound like there is no tomorrow. You find players that can make big shots at climatic junctures and let them control your destiny. You fight and claw on both sides of the floor as though every possesion is of essence because you have to make up at least a point a minute. It took all of the above and then some to barely win this game. Our players had to believe in each other, our System, our Coaches, but still had to look within and believe in their own self and fullfil the role they have in the team perspective.

Z Bears played their best Superbowl they could play and took us to the limit. However, when they come to 21st and Hillside, we got something for them and when the bell tolls, we the fans won't need to rush the court because we have an an agenda that far exceeds just one game. Our battle cry continues to exclaim that we play angry and we are Not satisfied.

Comment

• Missouri State playes a great game last night.
                        WSU played a great second half after sleep walking through the first.

The officials had a bad night.
                        One of the worst officiated games all season, IMO.

Comment

• Wow. I thought the Illinois State game was far more poorly officiated.

Comment

• What a gutty win for the shockers. It didn't look good but I knew they would never quit and would get back into the game. That is just how Marshall's teams operate. This team is so steady, smart, and talented. They make the big plays on both ends of the court necessary to pull off the improbable victory.

Missouri State deserves a ton of credit. Not only did they hit shots but they defended their butts off. Like coach said, the shockers just made one more play. That one play gave us the W and the W is all this team cares about.

Comment

• Key stats in a big win. Early makes 13-14 from the charity stripe. FVV scores 12 in the last 2 minutes and OT period according to the Wichita Eagle. We outrebounded them by 8 which gives us more possesions on a night our shots are not falling in as often as we are used to. Here is one to chew on that is huge on a frigid shooting night from the field when your opponents have spells they can't miss. We made 31 throws and they make 11 which allows lots of points for the good guys with no tic-toc action. They made 11 turnovers to our 8 and they got 2 steals to our 8 which agains gives us more needed possessions.

Comment

• During time outs we started playing the Shadrach song full blast. Seemed to help get them out of the furnace. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xa4QSweFQYE&autoplay=1

Comment

Working...
                                X