#6 WSU @ Missouri State Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
    if you gather the ball while sliding/diving or starting your dive you can slide the entire length of the court without it being a travel(theoretically of course). You can however not roll over or move as your body is not a pivot point.

alot of legal slides happen but sometimes you see someone slide and while they are sliding roll/rotate and IIRC that is illegal.

in rons case the stillness of his feet were irrelevant after he landed on the ground.
    Well that is good to know. Is that new this year? Because that has been driving me crazy all year long.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
      That was, without a doubt, one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

If you are a basketball team and you are down 19 with thirteen minutes left, you might as well pack it up. It's just not your night. Missouri State was having one of those games that they could tell their grandkids about. Just amazing shot after amazing shot. They couldn't replicate it in an empty gym.

But somehow, some way, the Shocks came back and punched MSU in the mouth. Once it went into overtime, I was about 90% sure we'd pull it out because MSU realized just how ****ing good we are.
      Probably the one thing that makes this even sweeter is the fact the Shox did this in front of the third largest Mo State home crowd that was going crazy the entire game. That was so much of the classic college basketball environment that I love so much and for our team to come out victorious under those circumstances has just further endeared me to this version of Marshall's Madmen! Just an awesome win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
        Well that is good to know. Is that new this year? Because that has been driving me crazy all year long.
        No, it's been like that for years. Sliding is NOT traveling. Yes, it used to be but it's not now. It drives the rest of us crazy that you boo like heck when it happens. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Iseeoz View Post
          During time outs we started playing the Shadrach song full blast. Seemed to help get them out of the furnace. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xa4QSweFQYE&autoplay=1
          Chadrack not only snagged 9 bounds, but some of the ones he had were gargantuain that hushed the crowd, kept their surges to a mild roar, and gave us precious possesions so they could keep fouling us and stopping the clock as we scored without the clock alarming us worse than a fiery furnace nightmare with no lions, no tigers but rather plenty of red-hot sizzlin bears.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            Everyone was playing well during our run, but a special shout out to bench and Lufile. The bench was fun to watch right from the beginning of the run. Lufile looked very good to me. He was in at the time the run started, left when it was down to 8, came back in down 7, left down 1, back in down 1 during regulation.
            Yeah, I gotta give props to Shaq who could be seen on the bench exhibiting serious confidence in his teammate FVV when he was at the line for his last foul shots of OT. Can't wait to see the big man prowling the paint next year!

Comment

• Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
              Really? Ask KU and Trey Burke...not arguing, just saying
              Look at this way - if someone told you there was an 84% chance it would rain tomorrow, would you expect it to rain. Letting them shoot the tree is almost a lock to win and the worse case scenario is that you go into overtime. Another way to think about it is that you have 85% chance of winning a game that would have been 50/50 just seconds before. Vegas would love that situation.

Also, fouling creates a hole host of other scenarios.

First, you stop the clock and extend the game by fouling. This creates at least one more possession for the other team in ANY SCENARIO (just like last night).

Second, you introduce the possibility of actually losing the game - i.e. an instant loss which is just about impossible if you let them shoot an uncontested three.

I am personally ok with either strategy, but to act like fouling has an advantage when the data and probable results say otherwise is an overstatement.

Had Ron been called for a travel, foul, or the arrow was pointing the other direction - MSU had an opportunity to run an out of bounds play for any number of shots...

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
                Look at this way - if someone told you there was an 84% chance it would rain tomorrow, would you expect it to rain. Letting them shoot the tree is almost a lock to win and the worse case scenario is that you go into overtime. Another way to think about it is that you have 85% chance of winning a game that would have been 50/50 just seconds before. Vegas would love that situation.

Also, fouling creates a hole host of other scenarios.

First, you stop the clock and extend the game by fouling. This creates at least one more possession for the other team in ANY SCENARIO (just like last night).

Second, you introduce the possibility of actually losing the game - i.e. an instant loss which is just about impossible if you let them shoot an uncontested three.

I am personally ok with either strategy, but to act like fouling has an advantage when the data and probable results say otherwise is an overstatement.

Had Ron been called for a travel, foul, or the arrow was pointing the other direction - MSU had an opportunity to run an out of bounds play for any number of shots...
                There's only a 1% difference in the numbers. Historically there hasn't been a right or wrong answer unless you consider 1 game out of 100 to be a huge difference. One additional reason the foulers might think they have a bigger advantage than they really do is that they overestimate their chances of getting the rebound. The offensive team is probably going to foul to try to get the rebound and the officials swallow their whistles at the end of games. WuDrWu's crazy high estimate of 40% chance of the offense getting the rebound turns out to be correct. In last night's case I'd be ok with either. Fouling gives you a better chance of an insta-win and overtime on the road is tough. On the other hand, Marcus Marshall had just fouled out and I liked our chances in a second overtime without him.

Comment

• Given that they could only tie............oh, hell, I dunno......

Comment

• I can't believe we came back from down 19 with 11 to go on the road!!! WOW!!! Mighty Shockers!! Huge balls to pull that off!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Link please?

Chances to make a 3...20%? 15%? I think that's low, but let's go with that.

Chance to make 1st FT? 75%? MAYBE? That's high, but let's go with that.

Have to miss the next one. I'll give in and say that's 100% (even though it's not) but you have to hit the rim too...I'll give you 95%.

THEN you have to get the rebound. I'll give you 40% and that's WAY too high.

Then you have to score. Again, I'll give you 40% and that's WAY too high.

All of those have to happen to equal a made 3 at 15% but it's less than 12% and that's using favorable numbers.
                      Exactly. It all depends when you foul though. In the NBA they've "done the math" and if you foul between 2-5 seconds, your chances of winning are much, much, much higher if you foul than if you let a team attempt even a guarded 3. 5-7 seconds you still have a big advantage fouling but not as much because of the time for more plays. Below 2 seconds there is a risk of fouling a 3 point shooter as the shot will likely be taken while you are wanting to intentionally foul.
                      I can't imagine college is that much different with a shorter 3 line. Think about it. You see game tying last second 3 point shots all the time where a team doesn't foul. Give me one example of where a team fouled between 2-5 seconds with a three point lead and lost the game. It's probably happened but I can't think of any. Now, fouling a non shooter in that situation is actually harder than it sounds. Mainly coaches are too afraid of fouling a shooter and giving 3 free throws. Still he has to make all three.
                      Last edited by Zubcut; January 12, 2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• I almost seized up when Lufile made the block and started running some CJSmak....I could see the technical foul coming automatically....Anybody know what he said?
                        For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                        - said no one ever...

Comment

• how does JQH get 10,776. Basically how is it possible for the arena to increase capacity, when it seems impossible at Koch or Intrust?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
                            I almost seized up when Lufile made the block and started running some CJSmak....I could see the technical foul coming automatically....Anybody know what he said?
                            Wanna hit up Bass Pro sometime?
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
                              I almost seized up when Lufile made the block and started running some CJSmak....I could see the technical foul coming automatically....Anybody know what he said?
                              He said "YEAH!!" Looking down at the player on the floor when he said it could have gotten him in trouble though. I liked how Fred quickly put his arm around him and got CJ out of there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
                                He said "YEAH!!" Looking down at the player on the floor when he said it could have gotten him in trouble though. I liked how Fred quickly put his arm around him and got CJ out of there.
                                by fred you mean Evan
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X