No announcement yet.

Wichita State media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State’s Ron Baker has grown accustomed to looking up in the stands during a pregame shoot-around, peering from one section to the next, and seeing very few empty seats.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
      You guys must run in different circles than me. Most KU fans I know are smart and well educated--probably because they actually went to KU and aren't just dipshits who bought a t-shirt. Of course, their intelligence makes their ignorance of WSU all the more infuriating.
      I actually spent some time this weekend with one of my groomsmen and his family in Lawrence. He and both of his sons all got their degrees from KU. I remember telling them that I don't mind their love of their alma mater at all. It's their school. They should be proud of it. The fact that they are JoCo types helps be around them. In fact, my groomsman actually got his graduate degree from Wichita State and claims to be one of the few KU types who actually wants to see a WSU-KU game. He just loves basketball.

There are two types of people in this case who are really annoying:
      -The previously-mentioned JoCo types
      -The people who have never set foot on campus but claim to be the biggest fans ever. This particular example cracks me. My sister's best friend claims to be a big KU basketball fan. She decided to go to KU, arriving for a fall semester a few years ago. By Labor Day, she was homesick and left KU to move back home. She didn't even try to stick it out to enjoy the whole reason she went to KU in the first place. She was done within two weeks and was totally unapologetic about it. Yet, she still rocks crimson and blue proudly. That's just weird to me.

Now, I know that several here are Shocker fans who didn't necessarily attend WSU. That's fine. I have friends who went elsewhere but have really started locking into WSU partly because I had gone here and became a big fan. So, I am not throwing that requirement out there. As I explained to people though, there is a pride that alums have that can't be duplicated as easily.

My wife has family who followed OU football, and so I have paid attention to it a little bit. We even went to an event here in Wichita, and while it was a neat thing to be at, hearing Bob Stoops speak, all I could think was, "Meh...this isn't my school." (It probably didn't help that Stoops was somewhat of a jerk to my wife and me...but that's another story.)

My in-laws are K-State grads, and it was neat to be in Manhattan for a football weekend with my father-in-law. He showed us around the campus, told where he took certain classes, and other things like that. You could hear the pride he had in his school. You can't get that pride by wearing a t-shirt....still can have pride, but it's not the same.
      Last edited by WuShock16; January 28, 2014, 11:51 AM.
      78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by TxShox View Post
        Should Wichita State be a No. 1 seed? by Jerry Palm on CBSSports.com
        This is a great article, especially the ending: Whether the Shockers end up undefeated or with one loss, whether they are seeded as a No. 1 or not, they're going to be a team to reckon with once the tournament starts.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          I actually spent some time this weekend with one of my groomsmen and his family in Lawrence. He and both of his sons all got their degrees from KU. I remember telling them that I don't mind their love of their alma mater at all. It's their school. They should be proud of it. The fact that they are JoCo types helps be around them. In fact, my groomsman actually got his graduate degree from Wichita State and claims to be one of the few KU types who actually wants to see a WSU-KU game. He just loves basketball.

There are two types of people in this case who are really annoying:
          -The previously-mentioned JoCo types
          -The people who have never set foot on campus but claim to be the biggest fans ever. This particular example cracks me. My sister's best friend claims to be a big KU basketball fan. She decided to go to KU, arriving for a fall semester a few years ago. By Labor Day, she was homesick and left KU to move back home. She didn't even try to stick it out to enjoy the whole reason she went to KU in the first place. She was done within two weeks and was totally unapologetic about it. Yet, she still rocks crimson and blue proudly. That's just weird to me.

Now, I know that several here are Shocker fans who didn't necessarily attend WSU. That's fine. I have friends who went elsewhere but have really started locking into WSU partly because I had gone here and became a big fan. So, I am not throwing that requirement out there. As I explained to people though, there is a pride that alums have that can't be duplicated as easily.

My wife has family who followed OU football, and so I have paid attention to it a little bit. We even went to an event here in Wichita, and while it was a neat thing to be at, hearing Bob Stoops speak, all I could think was, "Meh...this isn't my school." (It probably didn't help that Stoops was somewhat of a jerk to my wife and me...but that's another story.)

My in-laws are K-State grads, and it was neat to be in Manhattan for a football weekend with my father-in-law. He showed us around the campus, told where he took certain classes, and other things like that. You could hear the pride he had in his school. You can't get that pride by wearing a t-shirt....still can have pride, but it's not the same.
          Just curious ,,,, How do you rate a pro sports team fan ?? I had never gone to a Chiefs game till a couple yrs ago ,, but have always been a chiefs diehard.. and there are all kinds of pro team fans that don't even live and never have in the state of the team they profess their love for ?? Just askin LOL
          From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

• Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post
            Just curious ,,,, How do you rate a pro sports team fan ?? I had never gone to a Chiefs game till a couple yrs ago ,, but have always been a chiefs diehard.. and there are all kinds of pro team fans that don't even live and never have in the state of the team they profess their love for ?? Just askin LOL
            I have thought of that and honestly don't have a good answer for that. I am a unique case in that I have known people through WSU Athletics, so my connection level is a bit tighter with WSU...although my pro sports fandom (especially for one certain team) is awfully high as well, and that fandom comes from my dad and nothing to do with personal connection with the organization itself.

All I can say is that I know that there are differences in those rooting interests I have.

Good question...
            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              My sister's best friend claims to be a big KU basketball fan. She decided to go to KU, arriving for a fall semester a few years ago. By Labor Day, she was homesick and left KU to move back home. She didn't even try to stick it out to enjoy the whole reason she went to KU in the first place. She was done within two weeks and was totally unapologetic about it. Yet, she still rocks crimson and blue proudly. That's just weird to me.
              I knew students like this. There is also the case of the kids that couldn't cut it away from home and had to move back.

Bottom line, most of them end up at WSU yet still show no alliegance.
              The Assman

Comment

• Comment

• Came across this blog post on twitter from an Iowan who attended the Drake game. A pretty good write-up, and he didn't even mention reason #6 - FVV!

5 Reasons to Fear the Shockers

Comment

• Look who tried to copy our "Stripe the Chuck"? Not quite as successful:

ESPN - #1 - (01-28-14).jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post
                      I've always found hard core pro sports fans a little strange, especially fans who have no connection to teams. Here in Wichita, we have no Major sports teams. In Kansas there are no major sports team (MLS doesn't count), but people still are die hard Cheifs fans (not our city or even our state). I root for the cheifs if they are on as well as OKC Thunder, but since I'm a Wichitan I don't have a strong allegiance to any pro team. Not knocking anyone thats just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                        Look who tried to copy our "Stripe the Chuck"? Not quite as successful:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1202[/ATTACH]
                        I noticed it on tv, too. I think they were successful (although the ends of the arena were all yellow, no black), but it just didn't look as good in their arena as it did in ours.

Comment

• Pat Forde's Forde Minutes

Nothing particularly groundbreaking except for this description
                          "The Missouri Valley bears monitoring for its 800-pound prairie gorilla, Wichita State (26)."

Comment

• Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

We are on the front page right now!
                            Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Comment

• Final Four Contenders by Jay Bilas

The discussion: If you had to give your Final Four picks as of today, which four would you take?

Jay Bilas: In October, I had Duke, Michigan State, Kentucky and Louisville in my Final Four. Now, having seen everybody play 20 games or so, I would go with Arizona, Michigan State, Kansas and Syracuse. I would have Duke and Wichita State (both potential No. 1 seeds) as the next teams in that group. Michigan State is 19-2 and hasn't been healthy yet, and I am projecting the Spartans to be healthy heading into March. Arizona is the best team and has a tough-minded group that can meet challenges, especially on the road. Kansas is getting better by the week. Even with all of the criticism and the recent attention on Joel Embiid (all of it deserved), Andrew Wiggins keeps getting better, too. Despite some shaky perimeter shooting, at the end of the season, the Jayhawks can still be as good as anyone.

Syracuse is an outstanding team at both ends of the floor, but it has stayed unbeaten more because of its poise at the end of games. The Orange, like the Blue Devils, must stay healthy going down the stretch. Syracuse cannot afford to lose to anyone. The one team that I struggled with putting in there is Wichita State. The Shockers do not just have a goal, they seem to have a mission. Just going by personnel, I favor five teams ahead of Wichita State. On toughness and grit alone, I favor none above the Shockers. It wouldn't be a shock to see them in Dallas.
                              Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Comment

• Pretty nice comments by Bilas. Of course ******* . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X