Wichita State media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockthemonkey View Post
    Not really love but part of the problem. Buried in the Fast Five article From Seth Davis: For the time being, I have decided that even if Wichita State keeps winning, I will not rank the Shockers higher than No. 5 on my ballot. The same will likely apply to the Aztecs; they've gone high enough. However, there is a lot of basketball to be played between now and the start of the tournament, and if the other top-five teams fall by the wayside and these two mighty mid-majors keep winning, then it will be hard to keep them down.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2rKkrTowy
    What's the problem here? I'm tired of Shox fans being enamored with the big fat goose egg in the L column. This is a direct result of us being in the Valley, Creighton leaving certainly hurt too. Our non-con was average, it hasn't lived up to preseason hype, Alabama has underwhelmed and TN and BYU being good but not great hasn't helped either.

If we were in the Big 12 or Big 10 for example, I guarantee you that goose egg is no more. Poll mechanics in and of itself is not the only reason why we deserve a number one seed. Folks, we needed help from other teams to boost our resume', we simply haven't received it, (except for Saint Louis) and no one in the Valley has helped or will help (there are currently 4 teams with RPIs over 200 right now). If you want to be angry, be angry with Bama, TN, BYU and Davidson for underachieving this year. Getting 1 - 20, 337 RPI TN State on our schedule is a killer as well.

Comment

• KC Shox, the problem is not with a pollster voting WSU worse than where we might perceive they deserve to be. The problem is when a pollster says, "I think they are #5 today, and if #4 loses, I'm going to arbitrarily move #6 into the #4 spot just so WSU stays at 5.

If you think WSU is #5 and so-and-so is #6 today, you better have a reason to flip flop and move #6 ahead of WSU. #4 losing does not affect #6's worth positively or negatively and is not a valid reason to flip flop and move someone else ahead of WSU.

I would have greater respect for a pollster who had WSU #9 today (hey, they are allowed their own opinion) but was willing to move WSU up if teams immediately in front of the Shox started losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
        If we were in the Big 12 or Big 10 for example, I guarantee you that goose egg is no more.
        This is the real question. We don't play a Big 10/12 schedule, so it's impossible to know how we'd do. Maybe we are mid-pack and just another top 20 team with 5 losses at the end of the season, or maybe we would march through a BCS conference unscathed with a #1 ranking for the last third of the season. If someone wants to imagine that we would lose some Big 12 games, power to em. If someone wants to imagine that we would be undefeated, then great for us. March will give us a pretty good indicator of this team. Until then, all we can do is keep winning.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• It's not really a glowing story about the Shockers or even for DC but at least Darius is getting a little love from his hometown newspaper.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
            A little home town love for FVV from the Rockford Register
            http://www.rrstar.com/article/201401...#SEARCH/?tag=1
            I liked this part best:
            "It makes me look like a genius with my commitment," Van Vleet said. "Now I can laugh at everybody who told me I was stupid for choosing them, but I didn't see it working out this way. I was just comfortable here, and now things have went my way.
            "When guys stay loyal and do the right thing, things in life tend to go your way. That's what's happening now."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockthemonkey View Post
              Not really love but part of the problem. Buried in the Fast Five article From Seth Davis: For the time being, I have decided that even if Wichita State keeps winning, I will not rank the Shockers higher than No. 5 on my ballot. The same will likely apply to the Aztecs; they've gone high enough. However, there is a lot of basketball to be played between now and the start of the tournament, and if the other top-five teams fall by the wayside and these two mighty mid-majors keep winning, then it will be hard to keep them down.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2rKkrTowy
              I've worried about crap like this, that maybe those guys in the Carolinas that both have us at #10 are just going to refuse to move us any higher.

Comment

• Seth has Syracuse ranked 2nd. Hypocrisy.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                  A little home town love for FVV from the Rockford Register
                  http://www.rrstar.com/article/201401...#SEARCH/?tag=1
                  gregg marshall has set an mvc record with 111 wins in four seasons? i hadn't heard that before. wow.. that's quite an accomplishment.

remember when the shockers started trending up under marshall (2008?) and rival mvc fans said it was just because marshall could recruit well but he couldn't particularly coach well? lol 'shockers didn't even really have the best talent then! (see uni, creighton, ilsu, and maybe one other at that time). oh, but they ARE getting the talent now.. with the talent bar-line still being raised imo.
                  Last edited by another shocker; January 24, 2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                    gregg marshall has set an mvc record with 111 wins in four seasons? i hadn't heard that before. wow.. that's quite an accomplishment.

remember when the shockers started trending up under marshall (2008?) and rival mvc fans said it was just because marshall could recruit well but he couldn't particularly coach well? lol 'shockers didn't even really have the best talent then! (see uni, creighton, ilsu, and maybe one other at that time). oh, but they ARE getting the talent now.. with the talent bar-line still being raised imo.
                    Marshall is a flippin genius! Genius recruiter, genius motivator, genius coach, and genius whit! Love this guy!!!
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      Marshall is a flippin genius! Genius recruiter, genius motivator, genius coach, and genius whit! Love this guy!!!
                      all of it, really.

Comment

• Wichita State is dominating the Valley, and it's not even close. The Wheat Shockers have raised their game to a whole new level while the rest of the MVC is down.
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• "... Valley's Wheaties overlords..."

that made me laugh. I like laughing!!!

Comment

• Rob Baker. SMH

Comment

• Attn Seth Davis and others - Maybe if you vote us number 1 the BCS teams might start scheduling us. Those bastages have no gripe if they are not willing to schedule us. Make them prove that we are not worthy of a higher ranking.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                                "Coach shows right attitude for Shockers" - Springfield News-Leader

P.S. Someone should go post this on phognet.
                                Very nice article from a Valley foe newspaper. Very nice.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X