Wichita State media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
    Maybe I'm a little too fired up or just bored at work but I felt compelled to respond with this:

Mr. Patrick,
    We don't know each other so I hope that I don't come off as a jerk here but I feel like you don't understand what it means to play angry. Playing angry has nothing to do with using dirty tactics or poor sportsmanship. Ask anyone near the Wichita State program and they would tell you that that the kids playing for Wichita State are polite, respectful, hardworking and humble kids. They are far from being an example of what is bad in college basketball. In fact they are the exact opposite.

Playing angry means being the first person in the gym and the last to leave. Playing angry is diving for loose balls, boxing out, hustling, congratulating your teammate successes and picking them up after failures. Playing angry is respecting each opponent you face and understanding that if you don't want it more than they do then you can be beat on any given night. Playing angry means having confidence in yourself that you belong with the best teams in college basketball regardless of what anyone else thinks. Playing angry is never giving up until the final buzzer sounds. It's being accountable to your teammates by taking care of business in the classroom so you're able to ball alongside them each game. Playing angry is playing with a passion and love for the game and life itself.

I would challenge you to do a little more research into Gregg Marshall and the Wichita State basketball program and the play angry motto. I think that what you will find that it is something inspirational that we can all apply to our daily lives. Or you could just stick with the assumptions you drew from the word "angry". Either way, have a nice day.

Pie n eye
    A much more reasoned and gentle approach than my own. :good:

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
      That might be the lamest, most whitebread thing I've ever read. If this is what really happened--this guy and his wife turned to each other and dropped their jaws in synchrony--it was probably the first time anything on this dude saw the back of his wife's throat.
      burn gif.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
        That might be the lamest, most whitebread thing I've ever read. If this is what really happened--this guy and his wife turned to each other and dropped their jaws in synchrony--it was probably the first time anything on this dude saw the back of his wife's throat.
        LOL!!!

Comment

• His response:

Mr. Eye,

I would hope the members of the Wichita State men's basketball team are upstanding citizens and pour their heart into their craft.

But to use the word "angry" --- that's where I have a problem. When I think of something being addressed in an "angry" way, nothing positive comes to mind. As I mentioned in my column, the word has a negative connotation. Not only in sports, but in daily life.

Appreciate your feedback, but I stand by what I wrote.

Thanks,

Kerry Patrick
          News and Sentinel sports

Comment

• Who cares what that guy thinks. Play Angry Shocks!
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
              I was following Twitter trends during the game against Tennessee and some kid had a comment asking "Why does Wichita State's floor say 'Play Angry'? And why can't Wichita State use pronouns correctly?" Oh, brother. I'm a grammar stickler, but never once did I think about replacing "angry" with "angrily". Get a life, folks.
              I wonder if this person would like to volunteer to tell the Big Dog that he is stupid and can't talk right.

Comment

• We're taking the word angry and turning into a positive, that can only be a good thing!!
                I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• He doesn't like the word angry. :(
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• When Antoine Carr and Xavier McDaniel show up in your locker room and tell you to "play angry", you PLAY ANGRY!

I have a different take on "Play Angry". I see it more as an attitude of "I WILL NOT allow you to win". It is a commitment to avoiding non-chalant effort. It is an attitude that no matter what obstacle you face, you will find a way to overcome. It is NEVER feeling empathjy for your opponent until the final buzzer sounds.

Only people who have been involved in competition where something actually relied on the outcome are likely to understand this concept. The "let's not keep score and give everybody a trophy" crowd will never understand the attitude a winner takes into competition.

A winner plays angry. The anger is expressed in performance - not in actions against the opponent.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                      Maybe I'm a little too fired up or just bored at work but I felt compelled to respond with this:

Mr. Patrick,
                      We don't know each other so I hope that I don't come off as a jerk here but I feel like you don't understand what it means to play angry. Playing angry has nothing to do with using dirty tactics or poor sportsmanship. Ask anyone near the Wichita State program and they would tell you that that the kids playing for Wichita State are polite, respectful, hardworking and humble kids. They are far from being an example of what is bad in college basketball. In fact they are the exact opposite.

Playing angry means being the first person in the gym and the last to leave. Playing angry is diving for loose balls, boxing out, hustling, congratulating your teammate successes and picking them up after failures. Playing angry is respecting each opponent you face and understanding that if you don't want it more than they do then you can be beat on any given night. Playing angry means having confidence in yourself that you belong with the best teams in college basketball regardless of what anyone else thinks. Playing angry is never giving up until the final buzzer sounds. It's being accountable to your teammates by taking care of business in the classroom so you're able to ball alongside them each game. Playing angry is playing with a passion and love for the game and life itself.

I would challenge you to do a little more research into Gregg Marshall and the Wichita State basketball program and the play angry motto. I think that what you will find that it is something inspirational that we can all apply to our daily lives. Or you could just stick with the assumptions you drew from the word "angry". Either way, have a nice day.

Pie n eye
                      #WRITEANGRY
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• If this guy thinks "Play Angry" istoo much, he'd really like another term for it that states the concept very clearly:

Don't play like a p***y.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                          #WRITEANGRY
                          You beat me to it. I was going to say that clearly this guy needs to write angry.
                          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                            You beat me to it. I was going to say that clearly this guy needs to write angry.
                            I was talking about Pie.. ;-)
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• I seem to remember Jesus himself doing something positive with his anger.

Some journalists quit thinking when they got their degree, maybe earlier. I wonder how many participation ribbons and 6th-place trophies this guy received in his youth?

Comment

• it means mtxe. mental toughnes and extra effort. 'has NOTHING to do with bullying or beating up somebody.

thanks, x and ac. ncaa tried to keep you down, but you are having the last laugh.. angrily.

Comment

Working...
                                X