Wichita State media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TxShox View Post
    A nice read about VanVleet on Sports Illustrated - Fred VanVleet finds harmony for unbeaten Wichita State Shockers
    Nice find. Terrific article. And some information new to me.

Comment

• For as many articles that have been written about these Shockers, it seems very rare that all of them only seem to give me more reason to be a fan of these Shockers.

Perhaps more than anything else, this also only gives me more reason to be a fan of the Shocker Coach.

Comment

• After the loss tonight, should I look for negative media articles in this thread? Or should a new thread be created titled Wichita State media hate thread? I see it as this, whether good or bad, as long as we're being discussed and commented on, it's a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
          After the loss tonight, should I look for negative media articles in this thread? Or should a new thread be created titled Wichita State media hate thread? I see it as this, whether good or bad, as long as we're being discussed and commented on, it's a good thing.
          Why would an Indiana State loss trigger negative articles about the Shocks?

Comment

• ESPN - #1 - (02-05-14).jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
              After the loss tonight, should I look for negative media articles in this thread? Or should a new thread be created titled Wichita State media hate thread? I see it as this, whether good or bad, as long as we're being discussed and commented on, it's a good thing.
              Shut up.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]1224[/ATTACH]
                We are 23-0...they have it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  You can find a few coaches with better career winning % if you go back to the 1920's and early 1930's. For example Gene Johnson had a 71-22 record for a 0.763 winning % over a 5 year tenure from 1928-33 but those were basically Division II/NAIA type of opponents and very short coaching tenures.

In the modern era here is how Coach Marshall stacks up by the numbers among Shocker coaches with 100 or more wins:

Ralph Miller: 1951-1964 (13 Seasons) 220-133 (0.623)
                  Gregg Marshall: 2007-Present (7th Season) 162-70 (0.698)
                  Gene Smithson: 1978-1986 (8 Seasons) 155-81 (0.657)
                  Mark Turgeon: 2000-2007 (7 Seasons) 128-90 (0.587)

At the rate he is going 3G may very well catch Ralph in total wins by the end of his 9th year (4 full seasons ahead of Ralph's pace). He is already owns the best winning % in the modern era and is zeroing in on his 194-83 (0.707) totals he put up in 9 seasons at Winthrop. And that is with a 42-17 record in his 1st 2-years at Winthrop vs 28-37 in his 1st two years at WSU (in a good part due to the sparse pantry Mark Turgeon left him plus some horrible luck).

I think with a NIT Championship and a Final Four in his pocket there is a good argument that 3G is No. 1 all-time at WSU. The argument for Ralph is that during much of his tenure the Valley was truly the Valley of Death. Plus the Roundhouse is often referred to as the House That Ralph Built.

If 3G makes it through another 3 seasons at Wichita State I think there will be little argument who is No. 1 all-time.
                  Can't argue that 3G is pushing for #1 at WSU. Don't forget that adding to Ralph's mystique is his election to the National College HOF for his coaching career. This puts him in the same conversation with Allen, Rupp, Wooden, Smith, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Nice find. Terrific article. And some information new to me.
                    +1 I've been impressed with this young man since day 1. As a fan, it's so easy to believe in these young men, and to support both what they have accomplished, which is LARGE, and what they still have in front of themselves. Excellent young men, with outstanding leadership.

It's not often, again as a fan, that you don't have to fear the outcome. You just know this team is going to make you proud to be a Shocker.

Play Angry, let's go!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      Can't argue that 3G is pushing for #1 at WSU. Don't forget that adding to Ralph's mystique is his election to the National College HOF for his coaching career. This puts him in the same conversation with Allen, Rupp, Wooden, Smith, etc.
                      True but that includes what he did at Oregon State (18 seasons) and Iowa (6 seasons) which isn't really relevant to who is No. 1 at WSU. Perhaps it counts for something. Just not sure how you value that. I think if 3G passes Ralph in total wins and leads him in winning % he will clearly be No. 1. I hope 3G also ends up beating Ralph in tenure although I guess that remains to be seen.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 5, 2014, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• seems to be a lot of butthurt in the comments on espn.

Comment

• I see KC Shox is auditioning for the role of Doug Gottlieb if there's ever a movie made about the travels and trevails of basketball color analysts.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I'm sorry, but KC has a right to his opinion. Just because you don't happen to agree with it does not invalidate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                              I'm sorry, but KC has a right to his opinion. Just because you don't happen to agree with it does not invalidate it.
                              Of course he does, just like we have the right to make fun of it :D

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                                I'm sorry, but KC has a right to his opinion. Just because you don't happen to agree with it does not invalidate it.
                                You should let your Dad in on that little nugget.

Comment

Working...
                                X