Wichita State media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Does anyone have a clip of this to share?
    If true, it will be very disappointing.
    I saw it on 10 o'clock news last night. I think KWCH or KSN. You might check their websites.
    Last edited by Shocker-maniac; February 15, 2014, 07:19 PM.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Ken Pomeroy’s rating system adds numerical love to Wichita State

Every possession tells the story of undefeated Wichita State’s season to this point. So does every point, every rebound and every assist.

There is no detail too small when it comes to breaking down what makes the Shockers tick in Ken Pomeroy’s offensive efficiency rating system at KenPom.com.

“What the offensive rating does is it basically just tells you how efficient a player is when he’s doing something that shows up in the box score,” Pomeroy said. “It doesn’t capture everything that happens on a basketball court, but shots, assists, offensive rebounds and more come into play and they’re all treated pretty fairly.”

Pomeroy’s system dissects every player in Division I college basketball’s offensive performance — down to what might seem like minutiae — by using a formula developed by statistician Dean Oliver, author of “Basketball on Paper.”
      Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/15/329...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• Sports Illustrated focuses on Wichita State
        PAUL SUELLENTROP

Wichita State’s basketball team is scheduled for a photo shoot today before leaving for Evansville. It’s not just any photo session – Sports Illustrated is in town.

SI reporter Thomas Lake traveled (driving the whole way and polishing his Wizard of Oz references) with the Shockers to Indiana State, Northern Iowa and to Wichita for Tuesday’s game against Southern Illinois.

If you read SI, you know they don’t send Lake out on routine assignments. He’s written some memorable stories, most notably about Rae Curruth’s son and Michael Jordan’s high school coach.

WSU’s received a ton of national attention in the past month. I read most of it and enjoyed many fine stories and interviews.
        Read more here: http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/#storylink=cpy
        Last edited by chicagoshocker; February 16, 2014, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          Does anyone have a clip of this to share?
          If true, it will be very disappointing.
          @Veritas:, I quote you due to your affection for Kansas (and admittedly WSU). I would have quoted @ABC: as he was first to ask for the link. What is even more disturbing to me, is the KU attempt to scrub Coach Self's comment.

This video IS NOT available on KU's site. A transcript is. People will claim I am a conspiracy theorist. Then why the pic and lead of Coach Self here?

Notice the picture of Coach Self? However the video shows the comments of a player. Now, there IS a transcript below. Let's look at that for a moment.

Q. When teams go through tough losses like that, do you find out things about your team? What did you find out about your team after the loss to K-State?
          COACH SELF: I don't know yet. We haven't played since. We've only had one 75-minute practice because we had to take Tuesday off. I know they care, but I knew that beforehand.

And you say tough losses; to me, it was a tough loss because it's a game that obviously you're ahead in overtime a couple times and you've got to be able to close out games better, but the reality of it is, across America, everybody has tough losses. Syracuse is the one team that hasn't had a tough loss yet, and Wichita State. But Syracuse, how would they have bounced back if the shot didn't go in from 40 feet last night?

I think when you compete in the best league in America I think by most everybody's judgment, and you're 9-2 after 11 games and you played six of the games on the road and you play good competition, I don't think that's doing bad.

What we should learn, if we've learned anything, which I hope we have, is that if we can't make other teams play bad, especially away from home, then your chances of success aren't very good. We didn't do anything to make K-State play poorly the other night.

You'll notice he's quoted as saying "and Wichita State". That's cleaned folks. No video of what ACTUALLY was said.

So in the immortal words of Warner Wolf, let's go to the video tape!

Channel 12 Video of Press Conference

Go to the 700 minute mark, maybe just a bit before that if you want to hear the question. Coach Self reluctantly says "I guess Wichita State" and shrugs. Video doesn't lie Coach.

And the cheese continues to mature.

Comment

• Bill was slightly dismissive, but whatever. Doesn't bother me.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              Bill was slightly dismissive, but whatever. Doesn't bother me.
              Fair enough. My point is there are 2 sets of rules. Do you think Eric Sexton is going to come out and lecture Coach Self as KU AD Zenger did?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Fair enough. My point is there are 2 sets of rules. Do you think Eric Sexton is going to come out and lecture Coach Self as KU AD Zenger did?
                I agree that there are two sets of rules. You have to win a lot of games for a long time in order to get blue blood treatment. Even then, it's not garunteed.
                Livin the dream

Comment

@Veritas, I quote you due to your affection for Kansas (and admittedly WSU). I would have quoted @ABC as he was first to ask for the link. What is even more disturbing to me, is the KU attempt to scrub Coach Self's comment.

This video IS NOT available on KU's site. A transcript is. People will claim I am a conspiracy theorist. Then why the pic and lead of Coach Self here?

Notice the picture of Coach Self? However the video shows the comments of a player. Now, there IS a transcript below. Let's look at that for a moment.

Q. When teams go through tough losses like that, do you find out things about your team? What did you find out about your team after the loss to K-State?
                  COACH SELF: I don't know yet. We haven't played since. We've only had one 75-minute practice because we had to take Tuesday off. I know they care, but I knew that beforehand.

And you say tough losses; to me, it was a tough loss because it's a game that obviously you're ahead in overtime a couple times and you've got to be able to close out games better, but the reality of it is, across America, everybody has tough losses. Syracuse is the one team that hasn't had a tough loss yet, and Wichita State. But Syracuse, how would they have bounced back if the shot didn't go in from 40 feet last night?

I think when you compete in the best league in America I think by most everybody's judgment, and you're 9-2 after 11 games and you played six of the games on the road and you play good competition, I don't think that's doing bad.

What we should learn, if we've learned anything, which I hope we have, is that if we can't make other teams play bad, especially away from home, then your chances of success aren't very good. We didn't do anything to make K-State play poorly the other night.

You'll notice he's quoted as saying "and Wichita State". That's cleaned folks. No video of what ACTUALLY was said.

Go to the 700 minute mark, maybe just a bit before that if you want to hear the question. Coach Self reluctantly says "I guess Wichita State" and shrugs. Video doesn't lie Coach.

He lost me after the "Best league in America" crap

Comment

• Your coach will be live on ESPN in just a few minutes.

Comment

That wasn't the only thing cleaned up. Right after the "I guess Wichita State", the script says "But Syracuse, how would....". He actually said "But Syracuse especially, how would....".

From the script: Syracuse is the one team that hasn't had a tough loss yet, and Wichita State. But Syracuse,...

From Self's mouth: "Syracuse is the one team that hasn't had a tough loss yet, I guess Wichita State. But Syracuse especially,..." plus add the shrug.

Now this doesn't really bother me either. Instead, I take some real satisfaction that WSU's undefeated season thus far, is keeping KU from a #1 seeding and it would appear that is not setting well with Coach Self, most likely because he feels they deserve it more.

Comment

• Coach Marshal does a wonderful job on his espn interview this morning.

Comment

• KU without a healthy Embiid is a cute little team. They might surprise some people and reach the Sweet Sixteen.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
                            Coach Marshal does a wonderful job on his espn interview this morning.
                            Agreed. The previous hour they talked about meaningful 27's for today's game. Apparently we're going with 27 bones in the hand today.

Asked about Syracuse, coach said they just, like us, find a way to win. Would love to be the only unbeaten, just like anyone would but likes Tyler Ennis a lot.

Asked about whether we should just lose one to lose one, he definatively dismissed it saying that you don't coach to lose. That's no fun.

SportsCenter had a neat twitter thing asking people to submit meaningful 27s that we could use today. Apparently the Miami Heat's win streak last year was 27 games before they won the title. Who knew?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              That wasn't the only thing cleaned up. Right after the "I guess Wichita State", the script says "But Syracuse, how would....". He actually said "But Syracuse especially, how would....".

From the script: Syracuse is the one team that hasn't had a tough loss yet, and Wichita State. But Syracuse,...

From Self's mouth: "Syracuse is the one team that hasn't had a tough loss yet, I guess Wichita State. But Syracuse especially,..." plus add the shrug.

Now this doesn't really bother me either. Instead, I take some real satisfaction that WSU's undefeated season thus far, is keeping KU from a #1 seeding and it would appear that is not setting well with Coach Self, most likely because he feels they deserve it more.
                              I think he added the "especially" because he wanted to make a point about them because they almost lost. And he was quick to add us back in. I don't read disrespect out of it, just a lapse in memory. But I could be naiive.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
                                Coach Marshal does a wonderful job on his espn interview this morning.
                                So did Coach Marshall
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X