No announcement yet.

Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe the pundits would agree that a team that can go undefeated in a top 10 conference would deserve a #1 ranking. I hope we get to find out.

Comment

• Massey composite just updated for AP and Coaches and maybe others, too, but WSU passed Kansas and is now #10
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by lemuel777 View Post
        I believe the pundits would agree that a team that can go undefeated in a top 10 conference would deserve a #1 ranking. I hope we get to find out.
        The problem with that is getting into a top-10 conference.

Comment

• Still at 14th in Parrish's CBS poll.. What a DeltaBravo..
          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
            Still at 14th in Parrish's CBS poll.. What a DeltaBravo..
            They should just rename it the Jamar Poll. After all, that's a more realistic view of things.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              I know I better get used to it, but the SoS argument is going to annoy me a lot...but for a different reason than many people talk about. I was briefly on Phog yesterday (needing to take a shower shortly after), and saw a thread about how if KU had our schedule, they'd be 15-0 and praised so much for being the top team in the country. Here's the thing....if KU had our schedule, that would be mean the Beakers would be in the Valley, which would mean...
              -No Bill Self (or any other huge, huge name because KU wouldn't be paying anything close to $4 million for a coach)
              -No Andrew Wiggins (or any Burger Boy types)
              -No Big Monday games
              -Probably no College Gameday appearances

It's like BCSers want all the advantages and perks of being such a school (recruiting exposure, TV exposure, etc.) but also want rewarded for having to endure the hardships of being a BCSer (Big 10ers having to play Illinois twice rather than Southern Illinois twice...not the best example but you get the point). You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I almost wish that more emphasis was placed on non-conference scheduling. I look at that more than I do the total SoS. Yes, I know that Kansas has the toughest schedule in the country. They should have one of the toughest. It's Kansas. Self or whoever coaches in the position should have ZERO difficulty putting together any semblance of a quality schedule.
              All you have to do is look at Gonzaga and specifically last year. There were too many to count national pundits who felt Gonzaga didn't deserve a #1 seed and were by the far the weakest #1 all because they are affiliated with the WCC. Sans St. Marys, the WCC is a crap conference. If Gonzaga, who has a more polished non-BCS resume' for the past decade and-a-half than us gets this treatment, what do you think we're going to receive?

I agree with you though. We can be assured the MVC is no longer going to help our RPI and SOS from here on out. Unless by some miracle, another GM type coach is hired and turns one of these programs around. GM is going to have to start scheduling like Long Beach State. The Big West stinks in basketball and they make up for this by always scheduling tough. They currently have the 2nd ranked SOS in the nation. Despite having a 2 - 10 record, their RPI is actually higher than ours.

Unfortunately for them, they have to go on the road to play these games. Fortunately for us, our recent run of success may pay dividends by the way of the Gonzaga style of scheduling by actually attracting home and home series with name brand competition. We do need to schedule tougher plain and simple.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                GM is going to have to start scheduling like Long Beach State. The Big West stinks in basketball and they make up for this by always scheduling tough. They currently have the 2nd ranked SOS in the nation. Despite having a 2 - 10 record, their RPI is actually higher than ours.
                Where on earth do you get this stuff?

LBSU's RPI is 101. Not even close.

Comment

GM is going to have to start scheduling like Long Beach State. The Big West stinks in basketball and they make up for this by always scheduling tough. They currently have the 2nd ranked SOS in the nation. Despite having a 2 - 10 record, their RPI is actually higher than ours.

Unfortunately for them, they have to go on the road to play these games. Fortunately for us, our recent run of success may pay dividends by the way of the Gonzaga style of scheduling by actually attracting home and home series with name brand competition. We do need to schedule tougher plain and simple.
                  We already have. It's not our fault Alabama is meh and Tennessee hasn't lived up to expectations. Both were projected top 5 in the SEC. It's also not our fault that BYU forgot how to play basketball. It's also not our fault few pollsters have noticed SLU is 13-2 and is REALLY good.

What if next year UConn continues to drop? Can you predict which teams are going to be great next year, or the year after? We can only do so much. It's bad enough that our critics poke holes in our schedule, like we have some sort of magical power to control how well our non-con opponents play, but now our fans are doing that???
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

All you have to do is look at Gonzaga and specifically last year. There were too many to count national pundits who felt Gonzaga didn't deserve a #1 seed and were by the far the weakest #1 all because they are affiliated with the WCC. Sans St. Marys, the WCC is a crap conference. If Gonzaga, who has a more polished non-BCS resume' for the past decade and-a-half than us gets this treatment, what do you think we're going to receive?

I agree with you though. We can be assured the MVC is no longer going to help our RPI and SOS from here on out. Unless by some miracle, another GM type coach is hired and turns one of these programs around. GM is going to have to start scheduling like Long Beach State. The Big West stinks in basketball and they make up for this by always scheduling tough. They currently have the 2nd ranked SOS in the nation. Despite having a 2 - 10 record, their RPI is actually higher than ours.

The diff is WSU will be somewhat more validated because they made the FF a year ago and gave the eventual NC all they wanted and more. Hey I dont know if WSU could beat the five teams in front of them but I do know they would be in any game they play against a top 10 team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                      The last time WSU was ranked this high in the AP Poll was December 29, 1981.

Wow...pretty special.
                      Werent they ranked #4 in the Final poll of 2013...:good:

Comment

• Things to do today:

1) Go by Starbucks, smell the coffee
                        2) Stop by florist, smell the roses
                        3) Look up at the bright blue sky
                        4) Take a deep breath, soak it all in
                        5) SMILE

Outstanding effort Shox!!

Comment

• We handed SLU their 5th loss in as many years on their homecourt. We schedule well.

Also, don't you think that the fact we have the best road record of any team since 2010 plays into a teams willingness to play us?
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by WillieJeffJeffries View Post
                            Werent they ranked #4 in the Final poll of 2013...:good:
                            ...of the Coaches Poll. The AP does not publish a postseason ranking.

Note that I said AP.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              They should just rename it the Jamar Poll. After all, that's a more realistic view of things.
                              Referencing me when discussing something unrelated. You like to talk about how others are obsessed with people/things. Maybe you should look at yourself.

And for the record, I have always thought Parrish is a moron and I don't agree with him here either.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                                Sounds like a terrible idea to me, but every democrat that just read your post suddenly had a light bulb go on upstairs.
                                What a stupid post. Must be a republican.

See how that works? Fun.
                                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                                X