No announcement yet.

Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few realities that most of us realize...

1. At no point this season will we be ranked #1 or #2 even if we run the table. The only way is to win the title.

2. Teams will jump us even if we're winning. Other teams close to us have opportunities with marquee games, we don't.

3. Lose a game in the MVC and we'll drop 5 - 10 spots. I'm guessing we could afford 3 losses and remain in the top 25, but let's keep winning!

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
      1. At no point this season will we be ranked #1 or #2 even if we run the table. The only way is to win the title.
      Strongly disagree, Moose. Hopefully we get a chance to see who is right.

Comment

• Marty, I don't realize point #1. I doubt that "most" of the posters on this board realize it either.

Comment

• Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops 31m
          It's official. Duke is out of the AP's top 10 for the first time in more than six years. Ranked No. 16.
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• I know I better get used to it, but the SoS argument is going to annoy me a lot...but for a different reason than many people talk about. I was briefly on Phog yesterday (needing to take a shower shortly after), and saw a thread about how if KU had our schedule, they'd be 15-0 and praised so much for being the top team in the country. Here's the thing....if KU had our schedule, that would be mean the Beakers would be in the Valley, which would mean...
            -No Bill Self (or any other huge, huge name because KU wouldn't be paying anything close to $4 million for a coach)
            -No Andrew Wiggins (or any Burger Boy types)
            -No Big Monday games
            -Probably no College Gameday appearances

It's like BCSers want all the advantages and perks of being such a school (recruiting exposure, TV exposure, etc.) but also want rewarded for having to endure the hardships of being a BCSer (Big 10ers having to play Illinois twice rather than Southern Illinois twice...not the best example but you get the point). You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I almost wish that more emphasis was placed on non-conference scheduling. I look at that more than I do the total SoS. Yes, I know that Kansas has the toughest schedule in the country. They should have one of the toughest. It's Kansas. Self or whoever coaches in the position should have ZERO difficulty putting together any semblance of a quality schedule.
            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              Check out the ridiculous gap between #17 Oregon (715 points) and #18 KU (367 points). I dunno if I've ever seen a spread that big between one spot in the polls.

Shocks lead over #7 Baylor narrows, but only slightly (11 in week 8, 54 in week 9, 34 this week). Overall, no complaints- we are being treated very fairly.
              And Baylor plays @ Iowa State this week. If they pass us it's probably well deserved. Iowa State shouldn't jump us if they can take care of Baylor.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                Even if we win the next 15 games, I have a hard time believing we will climb much higher. And rightfully so. We just don't have any opportunities for big victories, while other teams will have match-ups in their league against highly ranked teams.
                If we were in the teens already AND if we weren't coming off a F4 AND it wasn't well known that we are particularly talented I would agree. If the teams in front of us gain 2 losses to our 0, we can crack top 4.

Where that may come into play is our 0 losses vs a 2 loss Syracuse for the #1. But even then, if it is early enough, I could see us getting it just because it is a great story. If AP writer votes us #1 then he can write about this magical run blah blah blah get page clicks from suckers like me (and you).

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                  A few realities that most of us realize...

2. Teams will jump us even if we're winning. Other teams close to us have opportunities with marquee games, we don't.
                  We rose from #16 to #6 without beating anyone that would propel us up in the polls, so there's nothing that would keep us from rising to #1 or #2 for the same reason.
                  The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                    I know I better get used to it, but the SoS argument is going to annoy me a lot...but for a different reason than many people talk about. I was briefly on Phog yesterday (needing to take a shower shortly after), and saw a thread about how if KU had our schedule, they'd be 15-0 and praised so much for being the top team in the country. Here's the thing....if KU had our schedule, that would be mean the Beakers would be in the Valley, which would mean...
                    -No Bill Self (or any other huge, huge name because KU wouldn't be paying anything close to $4 million for a coach)
                    -No Andrew Wiggins (or any Burger Boy types)
                    -No Big Monday games
                    -Probably no College Gameday appearances

It's like BCSers want all the advantages and perks of being such a school (recruiting exposure, TV exposure, etc.) but also want rewarded for having to endure the hardships of being a BCSer (Big 10ers having to play Illinois twice rather than Southern Illinois twice...not the best example but you get the point). You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I almost wish that more emphasis was placed on non-conference scheduling. I look at that more than I do the total SoS. Yes, I know that Kansas has the toughest schedule in the country. They should have one of the toughest. It's Kansas. Self or whoever coaches in the position should have ZERO difficulty putting together any semblance of a quality schedule.
                    Do we really want to start compensating for disadvantages when ranking teams? For example, Team X had less money to pay its coach than all the other top programs, so they get 2.82423 extra points in my handy-dandy rankings calculator. If we start down that road, then we are saying that WSU should be ranked #1 not for being the best team in the country, but because WSU + bonus points for difficulties > best team in the country.

In my mind, the advantages/disadvantages are fine and dandy to talk about, but I want my rankings to be pure rankings. If WSU is the best team, rank them as such, but don't give them credit for a smaller budget, or harder time recruiting, or lack of McDonald's All Americans, or non-conf scheduling INTENT, or etc....

In golf, some guys grew up on country clubs. Other guys grew up playing public courses when they could come up with $25. Once on the PGA Tour, none of that matters as far as rankings are concerned.

I don't want to see a handicap system developed for college basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                      We rose from #16 to #6 without beating anyone that would propel us up in the polls, so there's nothing that would keep us from rising to #1 or #2 for the same reason.
                      Yep.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• #6 in Coaches Poll also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                          Do we really want to start compensating for disadvantages when ranking teams? For example, Team X had less money to pay its coach than all the other top programs, so they get 2.82423 extra points in my handy-dandy rankings calculator. If we start down that road, then we are saying that WSU should be ranked #1 not for being the best team in the country, but because WSU + bonus points for difficulties > best team in the country.

In my mind, the advantages/disadvantages are fine and dandy to talk about, but I want my rankings to be pure rankings. If WSU is the best team, rank them as such, but don't give them credit for a smaller budget, or harder time recruiting, or lack of McDonald's All Americans, or non-conf scheduling INTENT, or etc....

In golf, some guys grew up on country clubs. Other guys grew up playing public courses when they could come up with $25. Once on the PGA Tour, none of that matters as far as rankings are concerned.

I don't want to see a handicap system developed for college basketball.
                          Sounds like a terrible idea to me, but every democrat that just read your post suddenly had a light bulb go on upstairs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                            some interesting disparity, especially at the bottom and others receiving votes. KSU at 25 in the AP and barely on the list for others receiving votes (5, #36) on the coaches poll. SLU at #29 in the coaches poll and #33 in the AP. Need SLU to show up at the end...
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                              Need SLU to show up at the end...
                              Completely agree. A road win against a currently-ranked team takes all the wind out of the "they haven't played anyone" argument.

We should all be the world's biggest bandwagon Billiken and Volunteer fans the rest of this season.

Comment

• Side note: We are #6. In the entire country. People everywhere are talking about it.

How cool is this?

Comment

Working...
                                X