No announcement yet.

Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folks are pushing the panic button too early on rankings. We will continue moving up with fits and starts. You cannot put too much stock in any one particular week, especially when only one (or none) of the teams ahead of us lose. The Ls will start piling up for those teams in short order once their conference play begins.

Murray State rose as high as #9 in 2011-12, and they climbed more than 11 spots after conference play began. Don't assume that a week or two of stagnation is permanent- rather, it's pretty normal for this time of year (the lull between the exempt tournaments of feast week and the start of league play after Christmas).

Comment

• Again, I don't give a crap what the December 16th rankings say. March is where it makes any difference whatsoever.

Comment

• I'm fine if we don't go above 10. I think if we win we will, but the prize is the tourney. A top 3 seed is my hope. That keeps a match up with the 1 seed as late as possible.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          BLIND TEST: H - Home, N - Neutral, A - Away, Using projected RPIs of Opponents, * Loss

............Record....Home....Neutral...Away....Ga me 1........2.........3.........4...........5........ ...6..........7..........8...........9.........10

Team A....9-0....H 6 games....N 3.....A 0...RPI...H 22.....N 69....N 82....H 107....H 142....N 178....H 185....H 248....H 351

Team B....9-1....H 8 games....N 2.....A 0...RPI...N 17*....H 50....H 78....H 186....H 223....H 261....H 267....N 272....H 291....H 325

Team C....9-0....H 5 games....N 2.....A 2...RPI...N 28.....A 31.....H 46....H 93.....A 159....N 169....H 186.....H 198.....H 281

Team D...10-0...H 9 games....N 0.....A 1...RPI...A 55.....H 59.....H 68....H 82.....H 84......H 108....H 199....H 219.....H 264....H 280

Team E....9-0....H 6 games....N 2.....A 1...RPI...N 32.....H 57.....A 63.....N 73.....H 164....H 168....H 206....H 242.....H 245

Pick the order you would rank these teams.
          C
          E
          D
          A
          B
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
            Always noon-ish mondays for both major polls.
            i couldn't remember for some reason. thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
              Shox need to go BCS mode and run up scores.
              Bingo. We're seeing the effects of being behind six times at halftime. If we'd have beaten teams like Tennessee State and W&M by 25+, we'd be getting a little more respect.

Most of the voters probably haven't watched more than one or two WSU games so far, so they can't see what us and a few pundits see when it comes to how tough and calm this team is. Maybe if we go beat Bama by double-digits in a game that we control from start to finish, that respect will come. But that's our last opportunity. We'll get no respect for Valley games.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                Bingo. We're seeing the effects of being behind six times at halftime. If we'd have beaten teams like Tennessee State and W&M by 25+, we'd be getting a little more respect.

Most of the voters probably haven't watched more than one or two WSU games so far, so they can't see what us and a few pundits see when it comes to how tough and calm this team is. Maybe if we go beat Bama by double-digits in a game that we control from start to finish, that respect will come. But that's our last opportunity. We'll get no respect for Valley games.
                I agree with the basic premise and this post overall, but Marshall will likely clear the bench and suppress the margins of victory. We are just going to have to take care of business at home and on the road, WIN in St. Louis and beat the hell out of everyone in our path in the big dance.

Even if we destroy Alabama, the doubters will just say Releford was injured or Alabama stinks. Anyone who can rank Ohio State #4 with their schedule and completely ignore that we beat OSU last year, isn't going to listen to anything reasonable. They are going to ignore their lying eyes and believe what they want to believe.

#SCORCHEDEARTH
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Scorched Earth is one of my favorite terms.

Carpet bombing is my other.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• As long as you aren't on the receiving end of either.

Comment

• FWIW, Lunardi has WSU as on "honorable mention" regarding its non-conf scheduling and performance so far.

Joe Lunardi weighs the teams with the best early wins in non-conference play and how much those wins will aid them come tournament time. The Wisconsin Badgers already have some impressive notches in their belt and appear on track for a No. 1 seed.

Comment

• Looks like 11th in the AP
                        ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
                        www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

• Ok, we know we have a ranked team and WILL be at the big dance. We have some talented players BUT there
                          are a lot of teams with rosters full of multiple star players that were recruited well ahead of ours. What sets us
                          above many quality teams is team chemistry, grit, and playing angry. I believe the key to our season is
                          maximizing those three characteristics in the final tournament as we did last year. I just hope maintaining a
                          high ranking does not make us complacent and forget what makes us dangerous. Having said that, our
                          frontline needs to continue to improve and that includes Early who has not yet played to his potential. I'd
                          like to see him play a little more with his back to the basket down low a little more.

Comment

• Originally posted by EB 22 View Post
                            Looks like 11th in the AP
                            The ascent resumes.

Comment

• Confirmed... #11 in AP

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I don't agree.

I'll bet 80% of the voters don't spend enough time to look at margin of victory or have any clue what the halftime scores of our games were. Besides, margin doesn't mean much in hoops once it gets to 12-15. Coaches give scrubs PT, play gets ragged, etc.

Who gets pushed out of the top 10 so the Shocks get in? Can't really make a convincing argument, IMO. Hey, we're in some pretty good company right now at #11 and I'm lovin' it.

Honestly, I don't think you want to be top 5 right now. The target gets HUGE. We're on the ticker, SportsCenter and Top 25 scores page. That ain't bad, folks.

--'85.
                                Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Working...
                                X