No announcement yet.

Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• His first sentence more or less implies he predicted the Shockers' final four run, which he substantiates with a link...to the CBS tournament page. Not a very credible way to begin an article.
    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
      I thought he made it pretty clear during the broadcast of the St. Louis game that he didn't think we were a top 12 team (let alone top 10). But I would like to see his top 10. I am sure none of them would have any defeciencies at all.

It is also obvious that the St.Louis game is the only time he has seen the Shocks play this year.
      Very true. Easy to pick out offensive deficiencies against a Top 10 defense, on the road. We still scored 70, and pulled out the Win. We beat a Top 10 defense on the road, and a Top 25 offense on a neutral court, in 5 days.

How many other teams are playing those types of games? Winning those types of games?

Gottlieb is clueless.

Comment

• Are we really so high on the Shockers that someone who wrote an opinion article about how the Shox look like a quality team with the potential to be a top 10 team if things click needs to be bashed? Is believing the Shox are indisputably a top 10 team now the only reasonable opinion? Is this team THAT good? My goodness, you would think he wrote about how WSU will be in the NIT at year's end.

Criticize on you knuckleheads.

Comment

• gottlieb is an okie state cowpoker, so..

Comment

• For all of you Gary Williams (Maryland) fans. I saw last week his name on the list of voters, but thought it was just another guy named Gary Williams... no...

Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Have to agree with Jamar. On balance that was a very fair and accurate assessment of our team at this point in the season. The only real issue I would take with him is his assessment of FVV. Obviously, Doug did not see Malcolm in his "mid-season form". Other than that every other critique on his part has been discussed extensively on this board.

The only other critique I would make is that while he points out the reasons we may not be a top 10 team at this point, he did not say what team is. I cannot honestly say I have seen ANY team that doesn't have similar issues. Even #1 Michigan State has issues with their front line and their depth. In that respect, we belong in the top 10 as much as anyone.

Comment

• I honestly don't give a shite what the Dec. 2 poll says. We keep doing what we do on the court and we will be just fine.

Comment

• I disagree with the main point of Gottlieb's article but he's not making up weaknesses. No one is happy with the production of the bench yet and Marshall is playing the starters more minutes than he has in the past. There's no Carl Hall level post threat.

Still, Wichita State has won two true road games and is ninth in Pomeroy and sixth in Sagarin. There's not 10 teams in the country that meet his criteria for top 10.

Comment

• He says "Wichita State -- which beat a good, experienced, defensive-minded Saint Louis team 70-65 on Sunday." then says "In truth, it may have been especially difficult to determine how good Wichita State is based upon the SLU game, as the officiating was in a time warp to last season and there was no emphasis on the new "freedom of movement" rules."

He seems to be basing all of his WSU worth on one game, in which he stated the team they played is defensive minded, and that the freedom of movement rule changes were negated by an officiating crew calling the game disregarding those rule changes, which favor the offense if they called it correctly. How does that make sense? The refs are calling the game in favor of a physical defensive-minded game, yet we are the subpar product because of that? It seems to me, that DESPITE the game not being called correctly, Wichita State still pulled out a win against a defensive team.

Also, Gottlieb's stuttering and missteps when speaking, made it come across like he just didn't do his research prior to the match up, getting certain facts wrong. Based on that, I'm wondering if Doug even knows that there have been 4, count them Four, 1, 2, 3, 4 teams to go into SLU and win a game on their homecourt in the last 4 seasons. It's not like we walked into a mausoleum that is easy to take wins from.

Did WSU play the best basketball of the year? No, they didn't. No one will say that. However, what I take away from the victory, that obviously Gottlieb sees as worrisome, I view as a win that we battled for. We had an off night, our Post couldn't score well early, Cle started slow, Fred had a tough outing, the bench didn't step up when we needed it, but despite that we won. This team, has been molded to be winners by Gregg Marshall. Gregg finds a way to win, and he recruits winners. Guys that don't worry about a stat line, but the final score. Man, will it be a treat to see this team finally mesh together and put out 40 minutes of cohesive, efficient, hard-nosed, play angry, Gregg Marshall basketball.
                    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• I don't think DG is pointing out anything we didn't already know. Yes we have few things we need to work on and improve. There aren't very many teams who don't have some issues to work on 8 games into the season. The positive thing is that we are winning while we are working on those things and I expect we will be a better team a month from now and even better a month after that. Hopefully, we will avoid injuries and hit our peak performance again in March.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 3, 2013, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                        Are we really so high on the Shockers that someone who wrote an opinion article about how the Shox look like a quality team with the potential to be a top 10 team if things click needs to be bashed? Is believing the Shox are indisputably a top 10 team now the only reasonable opinion? Is this team THAT good? My goodness, you would think he wrote about how WSU will be in the NIT at year's end.

Criticize on you knuckleheads.
                        Yes.

Yes.

Good Lord, Yes!!
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Doug hit the nail on the head. Many of you disagree with his comments, but the man knows college basketball and knows more about the game than you and me. Yes, it's an opinion, but I give credence to a man's opinion who played high level D1 ball and has been a college basketball analysts for years. Doug has also been pretty consistent with his thoughts on WSU. He's been a consistent guest in the KC sports radio shows and when WSU was ever mentioned, he was always fair and I never heard him talk down about the Shox. In fact, didn't at one time Doug mention he'd like to coach one day and would jump to be WSU's coach?

He's just keeping it real and none of his question marks are unreasonable. Downshift a little will ya?

Comment

• Without knowing our ranking and record, if I were to have read that Doug Gottleib article I would think that Wichita State is awful and can't throw the ball in the bucket for nothing.

Ughhh.

He is right, just doesn't point out the positives enough imo.
                            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                              His first sentence more or less implies he predicted the Shockers' final four run, which he substantiates with a link...to the CBS tournament page. Not a very credible way to begin an article.
                              No, he meant that he called the games on TV.... he was one of the crew calling the game for CBS....

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                                Doug hit the nail on the head. Many of you disagree with his comments, but the man knows college basketball and knows more about the game than you and me. Yes, it's an opinion, but I give credence to a man's opinion who played high level D1 ball and has been a college basketball analysts for years. Doug has also been pretty consistent with his thoughts on WSU. He's been a consistent guest in the KC sports radio shows and when WSU was ever mentioned, he was always fair and I never heard him talk down about the Shox. In fact, didn't at one time Doug mention he'd like to coach one day and would jump to be WSU's coach?

He's just keeping it real and none of his question marks are unreasonable. Downshift a little will ya?
                                He was actually throwing his hat in the ring for the KState job before they hired Bruce Webber..

Comment

Working...
                                X