No announcement yet.

Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calm down everyone who's freaking out...and there seems to be a few of you. We're just fine. Considering the body of work we've done, we're right where we belong as one of the top 5 teams in the country. I know we'd all love to have that #1 next to our name, but that's going to be extremely difficult if there are other teams with a 0 - 2 in the loss column and a much stronger SOS. Unfortunately, we're going to have to win out if we want to make it to 1 or 2 in the polls and other teams have to accumulate more losses. I am however just fine with Marshall and the team having a chip on their shoulder for not moving up to were we'd like to believe we belong in the polls. They need something to fuel them and they seem to be fueled pretty well by disrespect...which I wonder is why Marshall is complaining loudly for everyone to hear including his players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
      There are intelligent arguments to be made for placing us 5th or lower, but the "I Just Can't Make Myself Do it" defense is the most frustrating and annoying. It is intellectually lazy and there is no justification for it.
      No joke. Seems to be a popular one recently, sadly.

Good thing their is no AP poll, at the end of the season. If the Shox won it all, these voters probably still could find an excuse to not have them at #1.
      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
        Calm down everyone who's freaking out...and there seems to be a few of you. We're just fine. Considering the body of work we've done, we're right where we belong as one of the top 5 teams in the country. I know we'd all love to have that #1 next to our name, but that's going to be extremely difficult if there are other teams with a 0 - 2 in the loss column and a much stronger SOS. Unfortunately, we're going to have to win out if we want to make it to 1 or 2 in the polls and other teams have to accumulate more losses. I am however just fine with Marshall and the team having a chip on their shoulder for not moving up to were we'd like to believe we belong in the polls. They need something to fuel them and they seem to be fueled pretty well by disrespect...which I wonder is why Marshall is complaining loudly for everyone to hear including his players.
        Couldn't agree more Moose.

A lot of you of getting a major case of the goo-goo over the opinion of journalists, the majority of which never played the game.
        They either have a biased or warped opinion on teams and if truth be known, haven't really seen many play extensively.

I will admit the rankings mean a teeny bit to potential recruits and having WSU's name run continually along the ticker on ESPN is great exposure.

But this isn't college football.

The champion is decided on the court in competition and as much as it pains journalists not to be able to will their sentiment on the American public, their ranking don't mean squat!

That is all.
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          The week we nearly lost to MSU it did have repercussions in the AP with respect to individual ballots and our margins with teams immediately below us.
          Maybe our margins were tighter, but if we would have lost we would had dropped like a rock.
          β€œLet your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
          -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• Originally posted by kochHead View Post
            Maybe our margins were tighter, but if we would have lost we would had dropped like a rock.
            Really? Gosh, never thought about it like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose
              Calm down everyone who's freaking out...and there seems to be a few of you. We're just fine. Considering the body of work we've done, we're right where we belong as one of the top 5 teams in the country. I know we'd all love to have that #1 next to our name, but that's going to be extremely difficult if there are other teams with a 0 - 2 in the loss column and a much stronger SOS. Unfortunately, we're going to have to win out if we want to make it to 1 or 2 in the polls and other teams have to accumulate more losses. I am however just fine with Marshall and the team having a chip on their shoulder for not moving up to were we'd like to believe we belong in the polls. They need something to fuel them and they seem to be fueled pretty well by disrespect...which I wonder is why Marshall is complaining loudly for everyone to hear including his players.
              Originally posted by ShockRef
              Couldn't agree more Moose.

A lot of you of getting a major case of the goo-goo over the opinion of journalists, the majority of which never played the game.
              They either have a biased or warped opinion on teams and if truth be known, haven't really seen many play extensively.

I will admit the rankings mean a teeny bit to potential recruits and having WSU's name run continually along the ticker on ESPN is great exposure.

But this isn't college football.

The champion is decided on the court in competition and as much as it pains journalists not to be able to will their sentiment on the American public, their ranking don't mean squat!

That is all.
              These two sage ShockerNetters speak the truth.

A good ranking is icing on the Shockers' cake. As long as the team keeps winning, all that ranking stuff will take care of itself.

The imporant thing is a #1 or #2 seed in the tournament and wins will accomplish that.

--'85.
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

They need something to fuel them and they seem to be fueled pretty well by disrespect...which I wonder is why Marshall is complaining loudly for everyone to hear including his players.
                I was thinking the same thing. I'm having hard time feeling disrespected when we have a Top 5 ranking. Perhaps 3G feels the need to manufacture some disrespect to fire up his team and keep them focused. The Valley is not very good this year, although I think it is a little better than most give it credit for and dealing with being 9 teams' Super Bowl makes running the table on the road a tough task even in a down year for the Valley.

The main goal has to be to get as strong a seed as possible. How much the rankings come into play in that regard I do not know. Obviously, the publicity that comes from a high ranking is valuable. If the Shocks can continue to take care of business I think the seeding will take care of itself. In order to retain a strong ranking through season end we need a strong run in the NCAA Tournament.

If we are going to lose before the NCAA Tournament I hope we lose at Terre Haute and then repay the Sycamores with a convincing win in the Valley Tournament championship game. If we run out the string through the Valley Tournament at 34-0 it is hard to believe we won't be a No. 1 seed.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 27, 2014, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Really? Gosh, never thought about it like that.
                  I know you are just being a smart ass, but my original point still stands. Voters don't give a **** about all that statistical garbage. It's about W/L and the perception of your program and your opponents, fair or unfair. So it would not be an egregious monstrous atrocity if SDSU were to jump us in the polls.
                  β€œLet your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                  -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

As always, you are dead on. I can't speak for every other idiot on here but for me, this idiot, I'm just having fun with it all. What a great problem to have, right? In this meaningless poll are we 3-4-5?

Comment

I know you are just being a smart ass, but my original point still stands. Voters don't give a **** about all that statistical garbage. It's about W/L and the perception of your program and your opponents, fair or unfair. So it would not be an egregious monstrous atrocity if SDSU were to jump us in the polls.
                      What do you have against statistical measures? Does math intimidate you or something?

We have two paths to measure something in this world - objective processes which try to use reason and logic to explain things, or subjective processes which primarily utilize speculation. Do you prefer the latter for some odd, unknown reason?

Comment

• Any minute now.

Man, I love that we are good enough to be anxiously awaiting this every week.

Comment

What do you have against statistical measures? Does math intimidate you or something?

We have two paths to measure something in this world - objective processes which try to use reason and logic to explain things, or subjective processes which primarily utilize speculation. Do you prefer the latter for some odd, unknown reason?
                          No, I think you are confusing my argument and assuming it is my preference, which I am partly responsible for because I used the term "statistical garbage". I love statistical measures and am in no way intimidated by math (I work with numbers). My point is that the people VOTING are using the subjective process and could care less about the objective statistical measures. They are "sports" people, writers, and "basketball analysts" who know it all and have egos, and most are not going to compare kenpom, rpi, and the endless other statistical measures when voting, trusting that they know more than all that "statistical garbage".
                          -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

No, I think you are confusing my argument and assuming it is my preference, which I am partly responsible for because I used the term "statistical garbage". I love statistical measures and am in no way intimidated by math (I work with numbers). My point is that the people VOTING are using the subjective process and could care less about the objective statistical measures. They are "sports" people, writers, and "basketball analysts" who know it all and have egos, and most are not going to compare kenpom, rpi, and the endless other statistical measures when voting, trusting that they know more than all that "statistical garbage".
                            Yeah, that's the vibe I got from the posts between the two of us. Now clarified. We're on the same team.

Comment

• "For Wichita State, the time has come at last. The Shockers have made it to the top-seed line of Bracketology. And all it took was Michigan State, Villanova and Wisconsin losing last week."

Insider atticle

@ESPNLunardi: Wichita!! http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...ege-basketball

Edit: I know this postef in Brackets thread, but worth it..
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• 3rd in the coaches!

Comment

Working...
                                X