No announcement yet.

Shox vs. Zags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This game does NOT have a forgonzaga conclusion. Regarding the media, I say we let bygonzagas be bygonzagas.

But when the time comes let's kick these suckers right in their nutzags.

Gonzaga's gonna get Tekeled!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I have been pouring over the Gonzaga schedule today, and I just can't for the life of me see where Gonzaga has faced a defense as well rounded as ours the entire season. That really surprises me. I expected to see at least a couple of teams with darn good, well balanced, defense on their schedule.

Interestingly, the only team with statistically awesome defense is Southern, who they just played. They have the 12th best defense in the country (but their offense is weak). Southern gave Gonzaga lots of fits on the defensive end, and I think Gonzaga may be in for a surprise when they see how ferocious we are.

Their offensive stats are pretty heavily padded by the weakness of the defense in their league. The most Gonzaga has scored is 66 points in their last three games. Now I am NOT saying their offense is weak. That would be stupid and wrong. But their offense isn't unstoppable.

We just played the 8th best defense in the country, in Pitt, and were able to get a 70+ game.

We MUST bring that ferocious defense first and foremost. This makes Gonzaga adjust and play OUR game -- a game they aren't used to. If we do that, we just might be able to find those extra buckets we need on quick transition, just like against Pitt.

After reviewing these schedules in detail I am suddenly excited about our prospects.

Edit: They did run over K-State who has a similar defensive ranking to ours, but does not have as well rounded of defensive statistics.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

What I don't like about this game:

-Pro Zag crowd;

-Makers, and more makers for the Zags;

-Defending the pickle roll against the team that does it better than anybody

-Our normal inability to throw it in the ocean.

-The Zags remind me of a better, classier version of Creighton

What I like about this game:

-Nothing to lose-house money

-Our guards vs their guards, can they stop our dribble drives? Can we lock them down?

-Our bench

-Hall vs. Olynyk, don't think the big fella can stop Carl if he can catch it down low.

-The real prospect of getting them in foul trouble

Whoever wins this game, one thing is for certain, I will root for them the rest of the tourney :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          I have been pouring over the Gonzaga schedule today, and I just can't for the life of me see where Gonzaga has faced a defense as well rounded as ours the entire season. That really surprises me. I expected to see at least a couple of teams with darn good, well balanced, defense on their schedule.

Interestingly, the only team with statistically awesome defense is Southern, who they just played. They have the 12th best defense in the country (but their offense is weak). Southern gave Gonzaga lots of fits on the defensive end, and I think Gonzaga may be in for a surprise when they see how ferocious we are.

Their offensive stats are pretty heavily padded by the weakness of the defense in their league. The most Gonzaga has scored is 66 points in their last three games. Now I am NOT saying their offense is weak. That would be stupid and wrong. But their offense isn't unstoppable.

We just played the 8th best defense in the country, in Pitt, and were able to get a 70+ game.

We MUST bring that ferocious defense first and foremost. This makes Gonzaga adjust and play OUR game -- a game they aren't used to. If we do that, we just might be able to find those extra buckets we need on quick transition, just like against Pitt.

After reviewing these schedules in detail I am suddenly excited about our prospects.

Edit: They did run over K-State who has a similar defensive ranking to ours, but does not have as well rounded of defensive statistics.
          Granted their league is weak, but to totally dominate it when teams can scout you ad nauseum and know all of your tendencies is still pretty amazing.

St Mary's is a damn good team and the Zags punched them in the mouth three times.

Also, we give up a lot of wide open threes. Many don't go in because of the other teams tired legs, but if you go back and watch our games, teams can get shots against us from the perimeter. We simply have to switch out on the shooter better than we have all year tonight. Period.

Comment

I am optimistic that our guards will be able to pester them enough to get some easy TO's. That may be wishful thinking, but we did seem to be able to just jab at the ball enough that a couple of times it pops loose.

We are playing a very powerful offense. All the defense in the world isn't going to be enough unless we can improve on our 3 pt shooting.

I hate to say it, but we've gotta find a way to get that to at least 25%.

In my dream senario, we'd get Wiggins some decent looks (3+ from deep) and Early becomes a threat from 3.

In my wildest dreams, we get to play a style of ball that we did against Detroit.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I think that our big guys can't be overly aggressive doubling the perimeter dribbler TOO high or they are going to get burned repeatedly. Go out to 19 feet and no further.........22 feet is too far. Get in their passing lanes. Make them earn everything. Do that, hit a few threes and take care of the rock.

Comment

I see a game much like our games with Creighton... Gonzaga poses similar types of challenges. I feel very good about our chances, but see the margin of victory either way the same as our games with CU. Either team could win by 3-12 points....

But I definitely like our chances....:poster_wu:
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I like our chances also, just play our game. I'll be curious to see if we can strip the the ball from their guards and bigs for some fast break action.

Harvard vs Arizona Game - "No self respecting YALE man could ever yell for Harvard"
                  Signed, Thurston Howell III

Comment

If we control their front court, which will be absolutely no easy task, we play right with them. If we can't stop Elias and Kelly, we're in for a long evening.
                    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by I_Vector_Wu View Post
                      I like our chances also, just play our game. I'll be curious to see if we can strip the the ball from their guards and bigs for some fast break action.

Harvard vs Arizona Game - "No self respecting YALE man could ever yell for Harvard"
                      Signed, Thurston Howell III
                      Ginger or Mary Anne?

Comment

• They run the pick and roll a lot and run it well. We haven't defended the pick and roll well this season. That concerns me a lot. And they play better and more physical defense than Creighton. Gonna be a big task. GO SHOX!
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• After further evaluation, here's how I see the game. We'll consistently hang around with the Zags the entire game. Never getting behind by more than 8, but getting to within 4 quite frequently. With 2:47 to play and being down 5, the sense of urgency really takes over and the Shox try to push it to their detriment. We miss a 3 to get us within 2 and the Zags grab the rebound and subsequently and methodically set their offense where Pangos gets open and nails a 3 from the left corner.

Down by 8, the Shox start jacking 3's and miss. The Zags hit their FT's and we ultimately lose in a game which was much closer than what the scoreboard shows. Final score, Zags 83 - Shox 69.

Now, in order to give the best chance for the Shox to win in addition to being too nervous to watch, I will be taking my kids to the movies during the game. The KC Shox jinx will not present as I will not be present during the telecast. I am hoping when I get back home from the movies, I will get on SN and the first thread at the top of the page is entitled, "I Love L.A.!!!", then watch the DVR.

That is my dream and my promise to you that I will keep my jinx away in hopes of a SN victory.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            Ginger or Mary Anne?
                            Mary Anne, no contest, she's from Winfield also.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              Ginger or Mary Anne?
                              Seriously? Ginger would want you to thank her...Mary Anne would cook you breakfast!
                              Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                                After further evaluation, here's how I see the game. We'll consistently hang around with the Zags the entire game. Never getting behind by more than 8, but getting to within 4 quite frequently. With 2:47 to play and being down 5, the sense of urgency really takes over and the Shox try to push it to their detriment. We miss a 3 to get us within 2 and the Zags grab the rebound and subsequently and methodically set their offense where Pangos gets open and nails a 3 from the left corner.

Down by 8, the Shox start jacking 3's and miss. The Zags hit their FT's and we ultimately lose in a game which was much closer than what the scoreboard shows. Final score, Zags 83 - Shox 69.

Now, in order to give the best chance for the Shox to win in addition to being too nervous to watch, I will be taking my kids to the movies during the game. The KC Shox jinx will not present as I will not be present during the telecast. I am hoping when I get back home from the movies, I will get on SN and the first thread at the top of the page is entitled, "I Love L.A.!!!", then watch the DVR.

That is my dream and my promise to you that I will keep my jinx away in hopes of a SN victory.
                                It's hard to be mad at you today.

So did you miss 27 games this year and watch 8? Give me proof of the KC Shox jinx.

Comment

Working...
                                X