Shox vs. Zags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC View Post
    So how are we going to defend their front court? Maybe EO gets more playing time to try slow down Olynyk?
    Thankfully, in my best John Clayton impression, Olynyk isn't a true back down post player. He'll catch it in a variety of places and look to score. Thankfully, I am not sure he is going to shoot over a defender who is within a respectable distance to him. Both EO and Carl are quick enough to guard him close around the Foul line/High Post challenge a shot and then recover should he put the ball on the floor like he does. We might try a guard double down on him, but that doesn't seem like Marshall's style and with Pangos and Bell Jr. shooting 42 and 39 percent from three, respectively, it does not make much sense.

Pick and Roll situations with Pangos and Olynyk are going to be difficult. Our post players are going to have to hedge or Pangos will pull up and shoot it. Our other players will have to make multiple rotations. If we just make one rotation to a rolling Olynyk then on the catch he is skilled enough and has good enough vision to find the guy left open by the rotation - and if we run a big at him it will more than likely be to Harris for a dunk. Pick and Rolls have kind of given us problems this year. Thankfully we're athletic and smart enough on the defensive end to be able to handle it, though they might get some easy ones on us. There's a good chance there will be multiple match-ups per possession as we rotate to guard their pick and roll offense. Guarding their pick and roll will also be hard if Gonzaga is allowed to set their average of about 15 moving screens per game.

If Olynyk is able to back our post players down at will all night it will be a long night. On the same token, if the officials are willing to bail out out of control Olynyk drives with FT's then it will be a long night too.
    Last edited by wsushox1; March 22, 2013, 06:23 PM.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Gonzaga only beat OK State by 1 point while having a +15 rebound average on them. I don't expect Gonzaga will have that large of an edge on us.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

If this has been posted, my apoligies..
        Gonzaga shy to accept the pressure of No. 1 seed expectations

And if Wichita State does beat Gonzaga, the close shave against Southern suddenly factors in as preamble for what could be the latest and most notorious yeah-but footnote to Gonzaga as a program and Few as a coach.
        I speculated in another post a week or so ago, that if we did beat Gonzaga, it would not elevate us, just diminish the Zags in the eyes of the BCS snobs....
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post

I speculated in another post a week or so ago, that if we did beat Gonzaga, it would not elevate us, just diminish the Zags in the eyes of the BCS snobs....
          You are wrong.

Comment

While I believe that we have a legit shot in this game, I think that it is worth noting that if Gonzaga plays up to their potential, this will be a difficult game for us to win. I think that we need to hold Gonzaga to under 65 points if we are going to win. The good news is that they failed to get to 65 against Southern. The bad news is that the game against Southern was only the 3rd time all year they have failed to hit 65 or better. In addition, Gonzaga has scored 80+ 15 times this year to our 2 times. We either need a sub-par shooting performance from Gonzaga or an above average shooting performance ourselves (or both). This game is much like our games against CU. In the game we held CU to under 65, we won. In the other two games, we lost. Same will likely go for the Zags.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Shox have shown the ability to score in an up tempo game. We just havent played a lot of teams that play that way.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post

that's precisely why this kind of talk from the pundits is adding fuel to gonzaga's fire. fact. 'shockers must match fire with fire.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  Thanks for coming on here, even thought the Zags are one of the darlings of the media and WSU is just a mid major it won't matter tomorrow who wins as far as the media is concerned. If you win then its because the Shocks were a mid major and if the Shocks win (I hope) it will be because you were over rated and come from a weak conference. So its really is a no win situation for either team. Congratulations for your success this season thus far and garnering a #1 seed and whoever wins just keep winning to stick it to those bcs bastards.
                  Such a bummer!!! I completely agree. Let's have a great game, and hopefully whoever wins (...and won't be playing Wisconsin! Yahooo!!!!) will make a deep run in the tourney, and earn the respect that is deserved! So excited for this game!!!

Comment

Good luck vs Gonzaga I am really hoping for an Ohio State vs Wichita State Elite 8 game.
                    2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion $200,000 (2460 teams)
                    2012 NFFC Online National Champion $100,000 (1872 teams)
                    2014 DFWC National Champion $9,250 (288 teams)
                    2015 RTS Fantasy Championship 2nd Place $25,000 (3120 teams)

2015 NCAA Bracketology (351 pts more than all 136 at the bracket matrix)

Kentucky Wildcats National Champions 2012 1998 1996 1978 1958 1951 1949 1948
                    The Ohio State Buckeyes National Champions 2014 2002 1970 1968 1961 1957 1954 1942

Comment

It's late March....to win you have to be great. It will take a great performance to win this game. Again, I am very much at peace with where our guys are. I believe we'll come out playing hard and with passion and will compete from tip to buzzer and I will be content with the outcome.

Here's to another great basketball game and good luck to all those involved.

Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by HenryMuto View Post
                        Good luck vs Gonzaga I am really hoping for an Ohio State vs Wichita State Elite 8 game.
                        Who is this Ohio State you refer to?

Comment

It's a great day to be a Shocker! What a fine season for this team, and as a reward, you get to the opportunity to face the #1 team in the land!! Reward, you say? Absolutely! Think of all the players that have worn the Shocker colors over the years. Think of all the great players that have worn it over the years. Think of all the great players that had a chance to knock off the #1 team in the country.

Not that many.

This team has a chance to not only advance into the round of 16, they can do it against the #1 team. That, boys, is immortality in a bottle. When generations of Shocker fans grow up, they will be talking about you guys! I remember my dad talking about the 60's and the high ranking teams that came in and left with their tail between their legs in defeat. Well, is a chance to define this generation of Shocker basketball.

I'm with many here. I'm at peace win or lose. We will play our best and we will be proud of this team.

Go Shockers!
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by HenryMuto View Post
                            You hope for Ohio St to lose?
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

As long as they come out and play smart and bust their ass, I'm good. This should be fun and a hell of a game. We've been wanting to play Gonzaga for years and this is our shot. Regardless of what happens, would love to see a H/H or N/N set up with these two.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'd have to say it was good day!

Comment

Working...
                                X