Jake White?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
    Of course I am old enough to remember the days when Cold was asserting that Graham Hatch didn't have enough athleticism to play for the Shocks and that we would be in big trouble if we ever had to rely on him starting games for us. So I take all this with a grain of salt. . .
    But he loved Casey Crawford. :) He has a long history of expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
      Of course I am old enough to remember the days when Cold was asserting that Graham Hatch didn't have enough athleticism to play for the Shocks and that we would be in big trouble if we ever had to rely on him starting games for us. So I take all this with a grain of salt. . .
      To be fair.. when Graham come to the Shockers fresh off his mission, he was slow as molasses and that is saying a lot when you consider that the Turgeon teams were not fast team to begin with. It was fairly unanimous on ShockerNet that GH was in trouble unless he made a major turnaround. Well he turned out to be the hardest working player Turd or HCGM had ever coached and contributed greatly in his own way (he was never really athletic). I was one of GH's biggest fans and it was very early on. I think you're misremembering. I will also say that GH was from a different Shocker era and might be a bit out of place on our current team. And when I say current I mean right now. I think even Wessel would be struggling at the speed we are playing now. Baker better bring it when he returns.

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
      But he loved Casey Crawford. :) He has a long history of expertise.
      Everybody on here loved Casey Crawford until he turned us down. He ended up going to the ACC and then transferring to the Big 12. He would have been at least as big of a signing as Paul Miller. Who knows how he would have turned out playing for the Shockers. He was BCS material all the way.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        He was BCS material all the way.
        Can you prove it with pics?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Everybody on here loved Casey Crawford until he turned us down. He ended up going to the ACC and then transferring to the Big 12. He would have been at least as big of a signing as Paul Miller. Who knows how he would have turned out playing for the Shockers. He was BCS material all the way.

T

False. I'd heard enough bad about him from people I trusted to not be in love with him. And I don't think I was the only one.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            False. I'd heard enough bad about him from people I trusted to not be in love with him. And I don't think I was the only one.
            No offense to the people you trusted, but there were several actual coaches who were payed a lot of money to evaluate basketball talent that disagreed with "your people" - Turgeon was one of them. Everybody on this forum was on the edge of their seat for this kid until he made some comment about wanting to play for a "major" program or something along those lines. Then the place turned on him as it should have.

by Jerry Meyer - 09/28/2004
            Crawford has the makings of a high major combo forward. Blessed with size and strength, Crawford has developing skills with the ball and above average athleticism. He can present match up problems for opponents with his size and versatility. He does need to improve his lateral quickness for defending the perimeter.
            When he came to Wichita State to work out with the team, you could tell he was a special player. He obviously had some mental issues as was evidenced by his hopping around from BCS to BCS schools. He probably would have been a JT Durley type at WSU who eventually developed into a dominating force. But that is in the past.

I enjoy a good joke like anybody else, and always giggle about the Crawford ribbing as I was deeply in love with this ball player, but let's not let time distort the facts of the case. Crawfish was the real deal physically and could have been a star at WSU with the right direction.

T

Comment

A number of people questioned his work ethic. He was outplayed continuiously during AAU ball by "lesser" talents. Maybe he could have been a JT type that would have been forced to, but those who I was in contact with that watched him A LOT, had major questions about what he'd do. They proved to be the ones who had a better peg on what he'd be than the ones you listened to. It is what it is. All I'm saying is don't pretend everybody was in love with him. He definitely had question marks if you want to admit it or not.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I am glad the pounding on Jake has stopped.

I am not wild about threads, which focuses almost exclusively on the shortcomings of a player.
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Jake White > Casey Crawford.

CrawFish's creer stats were 4.5 ppg and 1.7 boards.

Crawford played a year at Wake Forest, sat out a year after transferring to Colorado, played two years, and quit playing with a year of eligibility remaining.

While it's a good thing for a basketball player to have a good relationship with their mothers, not many bring their Moms along on their official visits.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by I_Vector_Wu View Post
                    Plus 1. These young men bust their butts in practice, in the weight room, in the classroom, they represent WSU quite well. To have to put up with this kind of criticism from the "loyal" fanbase is just crap. They all have my respect good game or bad. "I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes". JMO
                    amen brother. I like Jake and beside his 3 point shot, he has did what they have asked of him and has contributed in the success of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      A number of people questioned his work ethic. He was outplayed continuiously during AAU ball by "lesser" talents. Maybe he could have been a JT type that would have been forced to, but those who I was in contact with that watched him A LOT, had major questions about what he'd do. They proved to be the ones who had a better peg on what he'd be than the ones you listened to. It is what it is. All I'm saying is don't pretend everybody was in love with him. He definitely had question marks if you want to admit it or not.
                      "The ones I listened to?" Do you mean Rivals? Mark Turgeon? The head coach of Wake Forest? I'm no recruiting expert, but if you had a better handle on the situation than they did, perhaps you are in the wrong occupation?

T

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        Jake White > Casey Crawford.
                        Perhaps statistically when it's all said and done.... but Crawfish definitely had more gifts, talents, size etc.

Jake White's athleticism, and skillset are a dime a dozen at his size. He is going to have to make up the difference if he wants to fit in on this Shocker team with hard work and smart play.

Anybody that knows anything about life understands that hard work trumps talent more often than not. But when they both come together... look out! I suspect that Casey had a hangup with the work ethic part of things... I bet he wasn't any more lazy than JT though and we all know how that kid turned out. Casey was 6'9", 245lbs and very athletic. He could have been quite the special player in the MVC with the right care. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

T

Comment

Back on topic.

I have seen some flashes out of Jake that impress me and some slip-ups that leave me scratching my head. He seems to have dropped off a bit from the end of last year, but as has been pointed out already, he is only a sophomore. Jake had a pretty good pedigree when we signed him so I remain hopeful, however, he is playing on one of the more talented Shocker teams in decades so any weaknesses he has will be glaring. Jake White ain't no Rob Kampman, even though he might look like him from time to time playing with all our high-flying athletes.

T

Comment

"The ones I listened to?" Do you mean Rivals? Mark Turgeon? The head coach of Wake Forest? I'm no recruiting expert, but if you had a better handle on the situation than they did, perhaps you are in the wrong occupation?

T

One of the Rivals guys, Eric Bossi, was one of the main onrs who questioned him. Add that to a number of people in the KC area that watched him and his questionable AAU performances and there were a lot of red flags.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Jake is having himself a second half right now against Bradley. This is why I love Jake White.

Comment

Cold?? You there buddy?
                                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X