Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
    There are actually 3 ways for HCPM to get a one year contract extension each year:
    • 25+ regular season wins
    • Regular Season Conference Champion (including tie)
    • Conference Tournament Champion

He only has to hit one of those 3 to get the extension and based on the wording, even if he hit more than one milestone, he only gets one year added to his contract (in other words, he can't get 3 years added by hitting all 3). I think the incentives are good because if he hit any of the three WSU should be in the NCAA tournament, although there's always the chance the 25+ wins may not be good enough depending on the quality of the wins.

But it's nice to see there's some additional incentive to win the conference tournament even if the first two aren't met.
    I went back and looked at both the contract and posts from when it was first released, and it looks like the one-year contract extension is a one-time thing. Basically HCPM signed a 5 year contract and within those 5 years, he could get an extra year added by hitting one of the 3 milestones (25+ wins, conference champ, conference tournament champ). If he hits one of the milestones, then he gets an extra year, but then the milestones are done. So he could get 25+ wins the next four years, but he'll only get one extra year. Here's some more info:

Post regarding it from about a year ago - https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...65#post1388165

Wichita Eagle article mentioned in the post that mentions how it works - https://amp.kansas.com/sports/colleg...273595485.html

Information from the contract - "In the event Coach earns and receives a one (1) year contract extension (as set forth above): (1) Coach's Guaranteed Compensation shall be $1,600,000; (2) Coach shall be eligible to earn Other Compensation equal to those amounts set forth in Appendix C for Contract Year 5; and (3) Coach shall be eligible to earn Incentive Compensation in the amounts set forth above, provided; however, that Coach shall not be eligible for any additional contract extension. The maximum term of this Agreement is six (6) years."
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Mills contract seems to be set u to be survivable if he is replaced after 3 years when Marshall and IB are paid off. If Mills can win 25 games, or a conference regular season championship, or get an NCAA auto-bid by winning the cong=ference tourney, I'm good with giving him another year.

If he doesn't do any of those in his first 3 years, then terminating him is an option.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
        Except we did beat tourney level teams this year.

3 years of below top 5 and no tourney wins and I would start looking elsewhere. That is indicative of major issues with recruiting processes and evaluations. It’s one thing to make those mistakes on a short recruiting cycle, it’s another thing to make them when you have 2+ years of evaluations on your desk. These things are way less likely to happen when you spend time watching players and see how they react in differing and adverse situations.

We have seen how mills system works when run correctly, when the players listen, and when they play smart. More of what we saw yesterday and the system gets a thumb up.
        We have seen the coaching staff has great ability to develop. That gets a thumb up too.
        We have yet to see their ability to attract top talent, keep talent, and identify players that are complementary to each other.

Basically, what I really want to see is that the staff can recruit.
        Too many hypothetical's to take your post seriously. Cohen beat 2 ranked teams in the same week. How'd that end up?

If the Niners could have got to Mahommes in OT they were gonna win. If Jordan hadn't returned the Jazz were going to win 2 titles instead of none. See the analogy? Ludicrous huh?

Comment

• I think winning the tournament and getting to the dance deserves a bonus.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            I think winning the tournament and getting to the dance deserves a bonus.
            I don't think anyone disagrees with that from what I can tell. The discussion has been how much of a bonus and on what form and should that be determined without regard to how you did in the regular season when we need to draw good crowds.

No doubt making the dance deserves a bonus and each win in the dance deserves and escalating bonus. However, I think contract extensions should be discretionary and not part of the incentive bonuses. Keep as much flexibility as you can.

Comment

• Kunkel posted on Twitter that IB is pursuing the Rice job. That would be interesting.
              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Saw some NC State grumbling on twitter than their HC gets a TWO-year extension with a conference tourney title.

I wonder how standard any of that is or if it really varies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Nothing is stopping us from manually extending the coach though. I definitely think there should be a financial bonus. Absolutely that gives him a reason to try. Just auto extensions should be lofty goals
                  There is ALOT stopping me from "manually extending the coach" in fact I think that is illegal in most states.

Comment

• Just read an article about Oklahoma State coach search. Number one is Dusty May from FAU and number two is Paul Mills. There is a pretty big list but PM was listed as number two. Not sure what to think about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

There is ALOT stopping me from "manually extending the coach" in fact I think that is illegal in most states.
                      Actaully extending the coach might be a good alternative to extending the coach's contract as an incentive bonus although that might depend on who is doing the extending.

Comment

• If you think WSU has NIL issues for basketball players, Google search what OSU’s coach said. Classic case of NIL money going to football, not basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wichita Willy View Post
                          Just read an article about Oklahoma State coach search. Number one is Dusty May from FAU and number two is Paul Mills. There is a pretty big list but PM was listed as number two. Not sure what to think about that.
                          Doubt whoever wrote that really knows any more than anyone else. These lists are always pretty comical because they change daily and end up hiring someone no one is talking about lol
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Mills, at Thursday’s public introduction in the arena and news conference, spoke about his philosophy and goals. Wendy Mills and daughters Audrey and Abbey accompanied him.
                            • “We know people expect to win, and I can assure you that my entire family expects to win too, so we could not be more excited about this opportunity.
                            • “The first thing you want to do is find players who are committed, and obviously a lot of these gentlemen sit right there on that second row (at Thursday’s introduction), but there are also a number of players across the country who want to be a part and play in front of a passionate fanbase, so I don't think it's going to be difficult putting a roster together that's good enough to win championships."

March 24, 2023 - Paul Mills walked on the court at Charles Koch Arena as head coach of the Shockers for the first time on Thursday. He is well acquainted with the building, however, and how Wichita State fans can fill seats and affect games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wichita Willy View Post
                              Just read an article about Oklahoma State coach search. Number one is Dusty May from FAU and number two is Paul Mills. There is a pretty big list but PM was listed as number two. Not sure what to think about that.
                              I heard Bob Richey was their target.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I heard Bob Richey was their target.
                                Yep. Danny Ainge set up the meet

Comment

Working...
                                X