No announcement yet.

Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While beating Memphis yesterday was fun, and WSU played very well, one win does not a season make. This off-season is still crucial for HCPM to get things turned around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I like the 25+ and the regular season champion thing. Those are good milestones. I've just never been a fan of the conference tournament thing IMO. Sure its a way to get an auto bid, but I've never considered the conference tournament champion the "real" conference champion. Don't see a hot weekend meaning more than 2+ months of other games. Putting so much weight on that in the contract feels very "low major" to me. Getting hot for a weekend while not being relevant the other 3 months of the year isn't the goal of the WSU program. We want to be battling for at-large bids. We want to be in the conversation all year .. not just for a week.
      I get what you're saying but winning the conference championship gets us in the tournament. I don't think we will but this team is weird, in that they can compete with and beat good teams or lose to bad teams. Winning conference tournament championships is pretty rare for us. I think we've won 3 in the last 35 years. Turgeon won 1 and Marshall won 2.
      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Is that real? That's really hard to believe.
        Maybe dyslexia is involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

I get what you're saying but winning the conference championship gets us in the tournament. I don't think we will but this team is weird, in that they can compete with and beat good teams or lose to bad teams. Winning conference tournament championships is pretty rare for us. I think we've won 3 in the last 35 years. Turgeon won 1 and Marshall won 2.
          I don't recall Turgeon winning one for WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Bell was playing out of position no matter where he played. He doesn't have a position. He's obviously not a PG and doesn't shoot well enough to be a SG.
            Aargh,
            Bingo. He is a player without a position. He plays hard and I'm sure that Mills appreciates his effort. But he can not shoot or dribble to his right.
            His biggest issue is his court smarts - as in hardly any.
            How many times have we witnessed his dumb decisions on the floor over and over and over?
            However, with Cortes finally getting the message, Bell's minutes went down yesterday and will continue to do so (especially next year).
            I've been all over Cortes, but he finally figured out to move the ball and stop dribbling.
            Plus he did it all on basically one leg!

Thought it was very noticeable that during crunch time yesterday, both Bell and Pohto were on the bench.
            Bell because end of games is when his mind goes blank and Pohto just because he wasn't even close to matching Memphis athleticism.

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post

I don't recall Turgeon winning one for WSU.
              I think you're right. It was Fogler.
              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                If he wins the AAC tourney as the 12-seed, the 1 year extension would have been earned.

Can’t belittle tourney appearances at this point, IMO.
                100% on this!! Absolutely earned if it happens. Not even a question.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

These newbie fans who have only been fans the last 10 years are amazing.
                  Totally! Lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

100% on this!! Absolutely earned if it happens. Not even a question.
                    So you are good with under .500, finishing 12th in conference as long as we get a 14 seed in the tourney every year? Good to know your expectations are super low.

Comment

So you are good with under .500, finishing 12th in conference as long as we get a 14 seed in the tourney every year? Good to know your expectations are super low.
                      Good with a losing season? Who said that? What I said is if he is able to coach this team to come together at the end of the season and get them to win the AAC tourney, I am good with the extra year and bonus. I would consider that earned. Again, you like to put words in people's mouths.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

These newbie fans who have only been fans the last 10 years are amazing.
                        I certainly hope you don't make the mistake of using the join date to this message board to determine that.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Good with a losing season? Who said that? What I said is if he is able to coach this team to come together at the end of the season and get them to win the AAC tourney, I am good with the extra year and bonus. I would consider that earned. Again, you like to put words in people's mouths.
                          I'm not putting any words in your mouth. You wanted to extend him if he makes the tourney. When you extend someone you are saying you are happy with the results and you want an extra year of it. So yes you said you are happy with all those things

Now if you just said you wanted to give him a bonus, then you would just be rewarding the end part of the year. Which I'm 100% on board with. But anyone that thinks that anything shy of the second weekend in the tourney should get rewarded with an extension is idiotic. We could realistically make the tourney without beating a single tournament team. Then if we get blasted by 30 when facing a 3 seed (ie better than the KU team that blew us out this year) that extension would look REAL dumb. Like boatright level of stupidity

Comment

• Let me say, I don’t want to make a habit of the program going sub .500 and having to win 5 games in 5 days to make it to the tourney.

That said, conference regular season and tournaments titles along with NCAA tourney appearances are the name of the game. Gotta make it to the dance and hang banners anyway you can.
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                              Let me say, I don’t want to make a habit of the program going sub .500 and having to win 5 games in 5 days to make it to the tourney.

That said, conference regular season and tournaments titles along with NCAA tourney appearances are the name of the game. Gotta make it to the dance and hang banners anyway you can.
                              I think we agree on that. I think we just disagree with the level of the reward presented.

Comment

I think we agree on that. I think we just disagree with the level of the reward presented.
                                That’s more than fair.

I can agree why an auto extension isn’t a popular idea and one I’d give pause to myself (especially after the IB era).

The Athletic Department and University were probably thinking of something like the season USF is having right now (23-6; 16-2), while finishing 1st or 2nd (maybe even 3rd) in the conference and/or winning the AAC tourney would trigger the auto extension. You don’t plan on finishing 12th and winning the conference tourney very often.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X