Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

To get a Natty there would be a one year extension anyway ($1.6m) since you need to make the NCAAT to win a natty.
    Can we all get along and admit that the Shocks are not likely to win a national championship this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      Theoretical scenario for those that think an extension would be warranted.

Lets say every single year going forward our regular season results matched this year. We finish well under .500, don't beat anyone that's tourney level, and finish in the bottom 4 of the league. Every single year. BUT every 2 out of 3 years, we manage to win the conference tournament. So we are going to the tourney every 2 out of 3 years .. likely as a low seed .. and likely get blasted in round one.

Would you be happy in this scenario? Because the way the contract is structured it would take a REALLY long time for Mill's contract to run out (Like 15 years).

I sure wouldn't ... but that's what this type of clause enables. 25 wins, and regular season champs makes more sense to me.
      Except we did beat tourney level teams this year.

3 years of below top 5 and no tourney wins and I would start looking elsewhere. That is indicative of major issues with recruiting processes and evaluations. It’s one thing to make those mistakes on a short recruiting cycle, it’s another thing to make them when you have 2+ years of evaluations on your desk. These things are way less likely to happen when you spend time watching players and see how they react in differing and adverse situations.

We have seen how mills system works when run correctly, when the players listen, and when they play smart. More of what we saw yesterday and the system gets a thumb up.
      We have seen the coaching staff has great ability to develop. That gets a thumb up too.
      We have yet to see their ability to attract top talent, keep talent, and identify players that are complementary to each other.

Basically, what I really want to see is that the staff can recruit.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        You don’t plan on finishing 12th and winning the conference tourney very often.
        And the odds of that happening are still pretty minimal given the structure of this tournament.

That said would it not be something to have a Wichita State vs Temple championship game. Not sure how good game it would be with 2 teams each playing their 5th game in 5 days, but at least it would be an even playing field.

Comment

Yes and no. Would going to the tourney be good. Yes. But is going to the tourney as likely a 13-14 seed worthy of a contract extension? absolutely not
          And what makes matters worse? Let's say we DO get that 14 seed in the dance and win a game, maybe even two. Hell, why not three or four? Him getting an extension just off of that would make me SICK.
          "Say it slowly and savor it..."
          Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
            Richmond lost in their conference tournament and don't appear to be an at large contender. Am I missing something?
            Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

I'm not putting any words in your mouth. You wanted to extend him if he makes the tourney. When you extend someone you are saying you are happy with the results and you want an extra year of it. So yes you said you are happy with all those things
              Your second sentence there is the primary definition of putting words in someone's mouth.

Comment

• Stick has obviously never been under a contract. But he is the expert and end all of everything related to how contracts should be structured. You should be on KS’s board of advisors. NOT!

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

3 years of below top 5 and no tourney wins and I would start looking elsewhere. That is indicative of major issues with recruiting processes and evaluations. It’s one thing to make those mistakes on a short recruiting cycle, it’s another thing to make them when you have 2+ years of evaluations on your desk. These things are way less likely to happen when you spend time watching players and see how they react in differing and adverse situations.

We have seen how mills system works when run correctly, when the players listen, and when they play smart. More of what we saw yesterday and the system gets a thumb up.
                  We have seen the coaching staff has great ability to develop. That gets a thumb up too.
                  We have yet to see their ability to attract top talent, keep talent, and identify players that are complementary to each other.

Basically, what I really want to see is that the staff can recruit.
                  We did not beat a team that will make the tourney (at least not yet, FAU is the only hope). If I missed one, please name the tourney team we beat.

I'm not sure how anything else you said = getting an extension though. He has 4 years still to prove everything you said. So yet again, if he pulls off 3 more wins and gets us an auto bid .. give him a nice bonus. There is zero need or reason to give an extension.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post

And what makes matters worse? Let's say we DO get that 14 seed in the dance and win a game, maybe even two. Hell, why not three or four? Him getting an extension just off of that would make me SICK.
                    I've already said, that I'd rather see making the Sweet 16 give an auto extension instead of winning the AAC tourney.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
                      Stick has obviously never been under a contract. But he is the expert and end all of everything related to how contracts should be structured. You should be on KS’s board of advisors. NOT!
                      Cool story. Now would you like to maybe provide a counter position of why it would make sense versus a dumb snarky comment that has zero to do with the conversation? Or maybe just sit this out.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                        Richmond lost in their conference tournament and don't appear to be an at large contender. Am I missing something?
                        Yeah we beat Coastal Carolina and Saint Louis in the Myrtle Beach Invitation TOURNAMENT. OOOOOHHHHHHH! BOOM beotch! EAT THAT!

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Yeah we beat Coastal Carolina and Saint Louis in the Myrtle Beach Invitation TOURNAMENT. OOOOOHHHHHHH! BOOM beotch! EAT THAT!

You're not wrong ...

Comment

• Lot of ad hominem attacks against Stickboy46 for what is an entirely well-reasoned take, yet nothing resembling a substantive opposing viewpoint. Classic Shockernet.

Seems perfectly rational to me to question whether getting hot for a weekend is enough to guarantee a contract extension for a year. If, for no other reason, than shitting the bed all season long to get hot at neutral site games means the program probably isn't making much money off butts in the home seats.

The other two auto contract extensions would do just that. A 25-win season or a conference championship probably means the home games will be well attended.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                              Lot of ad hominem attacks against Stickboy46 for what is an entirely well-reasoned take, yet nothing resembling a substantive opposing viewpoint. Classic Shockernet.

Seems perfectly rational to me to question whether getting hot for a weekend is enough to guarantee a contract extension for a year. If, for no other reason, than shitting the bed all season long to get hot at neutral site games means the program probably isn't making much money off butts in the home seats.

The other two auto contract extensions would do just that. A 25-win season or a conference championship probably means the home games will be well attended.

rjl: hive mind bad.

Also rjl when he reads a discussion with multiple views being expressed:

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                                Lot of ad hominem attacks against Stickboy46 for what is an entirely well-reasoned take, yet nothing resembling a substantive opposing viewpoint. Classic Shockernet.

Hellya

Comment

Working...
                                X