No announcement yet.

Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we overpaid. Where was he gonna go, Dook?

Comment

• Markis McDuffie's baseline jumpers were a work of art.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
        Markis McDuffie's baseline jumpers were a work of art.
        McDuffie had a way of making tough shots look easy ... and easy shots look tough

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

McDuffie had a way of making tough shots look easy ... and easy shots look tough
          And a way of making my skinny legs look fat!

Comment

• Obviously a bad first season can signal that a coach isn't any good, but it also doesn't mean that it was a bad hire. Wes Miller went 18-15 at Cincy his first year and got 8th in the conference, now he has them in the Big 12. His first 5 years at UNC Greensboro he didn't have a winning record, his last 5 years there he averaged 25 wins per season with 2 NCAA bids and 2 NIT's with 3 conference regular season championships and 2 tournament champs. I'm not saying Mills was quite that accomplished at ORU but that is a very hard place to win at and he won there. I still think we have to give him a full cycle (portal and recruiting) before we really judge whether he'll fit or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post
              Obviously a bad first season can signal that a coach isn't any good, but it also doesn't mean that it was a bad hire. Wes Miller went 18-15 at Cincy his first year and got 8th in the conference, now he has them in the Big 12. His first 5 years at UNC Greensboro he didn't have a winning record, his last 5 years there he averaged 25 wins per season with 2 NCAA bids and 2 NIT's with 3 conference regular season championships and 2 tournament champs. I'm not saying Mills was quite that accomplished at ORU but that is a very hard place to win at and he won there. I still think we have to give him a full cycle (portal and recruiting) before we really judge whether he'll fit or not.
              That’s a fair point. Another coach is Dan Hurley at UConn. Look what that man’s doing now. He had a losing record first year at UConn if I remember. In fact, he didn’t do well at all in the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

NFW that is true
                All I know is that there was a zoom with Mills, Tang and Drew and the story was told and all agreed it was true. I saw it right after Mills was hired.

Sometime I will track it down.

Comment

• I hate to say this but WSU is a dumpster fire and has been since they fired FHCGM. It's a total rebuild and hopefully we have a guy who can do that.

With NIL - it can be done but we are behind the 8 ball with that as well.

Having lived thru the dark ages of WSU basketball and the greatest years as well - I'm willing to be patient

Comment

NFW that is true
                    Oral Roberts' Paul Mills nearly fought Kevin Bacon in barbershop (nypost.com)

Comment

• Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

• The early Marshall teams were not great but they were scrappy. You could tell something was there and Marshall (for better or worse) wore it on his sleeve. If I recall correctly, I think he got booted from a game in the MVC Tournament in season one?

Not seeing much fire anywhere on the court these games. It's going to be a rough few seasons. Marshall could lose but you felt like you still had something out there to root for. Like I said here before, everyone knew this was going to be a rebuild, but few thought that rebuild would require everything to be taken down below ground level.

This team is extremely turnover prone. What's worse is that our shots are frequently so bad that they may as well be turnovers themselves. It's clearly a talent problem when Rogers is the only dude who draws the defense's attention. That said, seems like a biddy basketball coaching strategy to pull the 4 others to the other side of the court to help eliminate help defense when Rogers tries to beat his man off the dribble.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I'm thinking that with the transfer portal in play, coaches don't have as many years to be a success as they did in the past. Tang up at K State is a good example of the quick success I am hoping for with PM. My point is, I think the "hot seat" comes quicker for today's coaches since there is a good chance they won't have the same roster next year, let alone for 2-3 years, unless they are a coach people want to play for.

Comment

• The more I think about all the NIL stuff, and now with Saban retiring, I think we might be at the beginning of the end of the massive head coach salaries. It's going to be difficult for any coach to dominate a sport for any length of time. Even Alabama has players transferring out. It's virtually impossible to develop talent for any length of time anymore. You have a good player and he leaves for a bigger program, you have a diamond in the rough and he leaves to get playing time somewhere. How can anyone sustain success with a constant revolving door?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              How can anyone sustain success with a constant revolving door?
                              Let's just try and do it for a couple weeks.

Comment

Let's just try and do it for a couple weeks.
                                i get it, just thinking bigger picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X