Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    My point in all of this, or my stance is, patience! Out of those averaging 20 + minutes per game this year, only two of them were recruited by PM and staff (Ridgnal and Beverly). Let's give him at least two full recruiting cycles to see what he can do. I don't think anyone thought it would be some miracle turnaround 25 win season. If they did, they are delusional.
    You know there were tons of folks predicting 18-20 wins and a third place finish in the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

While what you posted is true.. that fact that he couldn't over recruit the backup players (outside of Pohto) from last year should be a bit concerning. Even when accounting for the shorter time period .. this is a pretty bad class IMO.
      It's not as easy as you assume. You have to give it more than one quarter of a year. I am not concerned about that to be honest. I think it is overblown. He was hired in late March. There are recruiting dead periods in April and August not to mention the ridiculous portal and NIL nonsense and he had to assemble a staff and do all of the normal get to know you stuff with the fanbase and athletic department.

Comment

It's not as easy as you assume. You have to give it more than one quarter of a year. I am not concerned about that to be honest. I think it is overblown. He was hired in late March. There are recruiting dead periods in April and August not to mention the ridiculous portal and NIL nonsense and he had to assemble a staff and do all of the normal get to know you stuff with the fanbase and athletic department.
        Other schools have had no problems doing that. It SHOULD be concerning to everyone. He hit the ground and tripped on his face. Lets see if he can get back up.

Comment

My point in all of this, or my stance is, patience! Out of those averaging 20 + minutes per game this year, only two of them were recruited by PM and staff (Ridgnal and Beverly). Let's give him at least two full recruiting cycles to see what he can do. I don't think anyone thought it would be some miracle turnaround 25 win season. If they did, they are delusional.
          Don't believe anyone was planning on a 25-win season. In fact, not sure I expected a better season than last year. After all, we fired a guy who went 17-15 and 9-9 in conference and 1-1 in AAC tourney (and he should have been fired). Outside of the South Dakota St loss, everything in the non-conference went as I thought it would. My concern is that we no longer have games against Houston (2 last year) and Cincinnati (1 game). Given what FAU has done recently, they are not Houston. So, what should we expect in conference, given I think the schedule is against us. 9-9? 8-10? 7-11? I'll tell you now, if it's worse than 7-11, I'm concerned. Fair enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Don't believe anyone was planning on a 25-win season. In fact, not sure I expected a better season than last year. After all, we fired a guy who went 17-15 and 9-9 in conference and 1-1 in AAC tourney (and he should have been fired). Outside of the South Dakota St loss, everything in the non-conference went as I thought it would. My concern is that we no longer have games against Houston (2 last year) and Cincinnati (1 game). Given what FAU has done recently, they are not Houston. So, what should we expect in conference, given I think the schedule is against us. 9-9? 8-10? 7-11? I'll tell you now, if it's worse than 7-11, I'm concerned. Fair enough?
            You certainly have every right to your opinion. And, if that concerns you then that is your opinion.

Comment

You certainly have every right to your opinion. And, if that concerns you then that is your opinion.
              I believe that what this forum is about. So, no news there.

Just wondered if you had any opinions on what record you would call good, expected, worse. It's all just for discussion.

Comment

• We're currently 0-2

Rest of the schedule is as follows

VS Memphis
                AT FAU
                AT USF
                VS ECU
                VS SMU
                AT Tulsa
                AT Memphis
                VS UTSA
                VS FAU
                AT ECU
                AT Charlotte
                VS Tulsa
                VS Temple
                AT UAB
                VS Rice
                AT Tulane

Looking at this, I think seven wins is probably best case scenario and I don't think we get there.

Memphis is a loss
                FAU is a loss
                USF is a toss up, but it's on the road so probably a loss
                ECU is a toss up, but at home it could be a win
                SMU is a loss
                Tulsa is a toss up, but it's on the road so I'm going with a loss
                Memphis is a loss
                UTSA should be a win
                FAU is a loss
                ECU is a toss up, but on the road I'd expect a loss
                Charlotte is a loss
                Tulsa is maybe a win at home
                Temple is a toss up, but at home could be a win.
                UAB is a loss
                Rice should be a win
                Tulane is a loss.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

While what you posted is true.. that fact that he couldn't over recruit the backup players (outside of Pohto) from last year should be a bit concerning. Even when accounting for the shorter time period .. this is a pretty bad class IMO.
                  Melvion Flanagan and Shammah Scott?
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                    Melvion Flanagan and Shammah Scott?
                    What exactly do those two have to do with my comment?

Comment

What exactly do those two have to do with my comment?
                      Those are the backup players from last year that he couldn’t “over recruit”?

Or hold overs from last year that he couldn’t push out?

I’m not sure what you meant, if you were talking about those two or specific players on this team.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Those are the backup players from last year that he couldn’t “over recruit”?

Or hold overs from last year that he couldn’t push out?

I’m not sure what you meant, if you were talking about those two or specific players on this team.
                        I'm meaning that the backup players from last year (Bell, Abidde, Ballard) are still getting healthy minutes. None of those players really saw the floor much last year. So its disappointing that he couldn't "over recruit" them. Though Ballard is probably a pass since he has a lot of potential and is harder to find big men.

Just looking at who he landed, Beverly, Degray and Ridgnal would be solid off the bench people for a competitive team. Cortes wouldn't probably get minutes on a decent team (at least what he's shown so far). Germany can't even get on the floor for this really bad team. Joy either (but at least he's young and raw so a bit of a pass there), and TBD on Bamba since he's redshirting.

I said it in on the offseason and i still believe it. We recruited a bunch of non AAC-Level starters. The problem is .. we were only returning one maybe 2 starters (Rogers and both Ballard and Pohto are in that "maybe" category). If you had to ask me which of our players could start on Memphis or FAU or even SMU .. only one I'd say confidently is Rogers.

So that's where my comment came from. We were starting from a collection of "backups" outside of Rogers. And we really didn't land anyone that was solidly above those players.

Irony about your post those .. i actually think we could use a Melvion Flanagan at this point lol

Comment

I'm meaning that the backup players from last year (Bell, Abidde, Ballard) are still getting healthy minutes. None of those players really saw the floor much last year. So its disappointing that he couldn't "over recruit" them. Though Ballard is probably a pass since he has a lot of potential and is harder to find big men.

Just looking at who he landed, Beverly, Degray and Ridgnal would be solid off the bench people for a competitive team. Cortes wouldn't probably get minutes on a decent team (at least what he's shown so far). Germany can't even get on the floor for this really bad team. Joy either (but at least he's young and raw so a bit of a pass there), and TBD on Bamba since he's redshirting.

I said it in on the offseason and i still believe it. We recruited a bunch of non AAC-Level starters. The problem is .. we were only returning one maybe 2 starters (Rogers and both Ballard and Pohto are in that "maybe" category). If you had to ask me which of our players could start on Memphis or FAU or even SMU .. only one I'd say confidently is Rogers.

So that's where my comment came from. We were starting from a collection of "backups" outside of Rogers. And we really didn't land anyone that was solidly above those players.

Irony about your post those .. i actually think we could use a Melvion Flanagan at this point lol
                          Melvion Flanagan would cook half the players we’ve got right now. I really liked the kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

You know there were tons of folks predicting 18-20 wins and a third place finish in the conference.
                            Great example of why we keep saying that legalization is not an answer!
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

Melvion Flanagan would cook half the players we’ve got right now. I really liked the kid.
                              He's at NAIA now for a reason... dude had a great run but also had moments that showed why he was totally outclassed at this level.
                              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

He's at NAIA now for a reason... dude had a great run but also had moments that showed why he was totally outclassed at this level.
                                His 3p% last year would be 2nd highest on the team this year though lol. 37.3% vs 38.5% for Rogers

Comment

Working...
                                X