Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was CORNPOP there too?

Comment

• My vote for dumbest thread on Shockernet this year. I will never get back the time I just spent reading through most of this drivel. Did someone actually say IB had guys who could hit threes? Wow!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
        My vote for dumbest thread on Shockernet this year. I will never get back the time I just spent reading through most of this drivel. Did someone actually say IB had guys who could hit threes? Wow!
        Well, it wasn't me, but I did take a look since you mentioned the 3pt%. Based on the current %, 1997-8 was the last time we had a worse team 3pt% and only 3 years total was it worse than the current 3pt%.

Comment

• Serious question, I don't know if I've heard anything on it. With the players having so much "authority" now to pack up and move elsewhere to play without having to sit, what responsibility do schools have towards student athletes on scholarship? If the pandora's box has been opened, do schools now have the right to cut any unwanted players loose every season?

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
            Serious question, I don't know if I've heard anything on it. With the players having so much "authority" now to pack up and move elsewhere to play without having to sit, what responsibility do schools have towards student athletes on scholarship? If the pandora's box has been opened, do schools now have the right to cut any unwanted players loose every season?
            Wasn't it always that way?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Wasn't it always that way?
              I don't know. That's why I asked. If they're essentially "employees", do they have to honor the scholarship if the student remains in good standing? Is it a yearly scholarship? By the semester?

Wanted to add as I was reading up on it a bit...According to CBS nearly 35% of student athletes entered the portal in 2023.
              Last edited by JVShocker; January 11, 2024, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                Serious question, I don't know if I've heard anything on it. With the players having so much "authority" now to pack up and move elsewhere to play without having to sit, what responsibility do schools have towards student athletes on scholarship? If the pandora's box has been opened, do schools now have the right to cut any unwanted players loose every season?
                Scholarships are technically just one year guarantees and then are either renewed or not.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My vote for dumbest thread on Shockernet this year. I will never get back the time I just spent reading through most of this drivel. Did someone actually say IB had guys who could hit threes? Wow!
                  The year is young. We can do much dumbererer than this. Patience, Rulz.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    The more I think about all the NIL stuff, and now with Saban retiring, I think we might be at the beginning of the end of the massive head coach salaries. It's going to be difficult for any coach to dominate a sport for any length of time. Even Alabama has players transferring out. It's virtually impossible to develop talent for any length of time anymore. You have a good player and he leaves for a bigger program, you have a diamond in the rough and he leaves to get playing time somewhere. How can anyone sustain success with a constant revolving door?
                    I believe this is an excellent read.

Comment

I said that.

This year we have one player shooting better than 35% from three. Rogers at 38.5.

Last year:
                      Walton 40%
                      Flanagan 37.3%
                      Porter 36.3%
                      Scott 35.7%

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Well, it wasn't me, but I did take a look since you mentioned the 3pt%. Based on the current %, 1997-8 was the last time we had a worse team 3pt% and only 3 years total was it worse than the current 3pt%.
                        The ‘97-‘98 team started 4 guys that are all better than our current roster. Sr Terry Hankton at PG better than our current PGs, Frsshman Mo Evans Soph Jason Perez and Soph Darrin Williams. I’d take all 4 of those guys right now. The biggest problem with that team was the other 9 players.

Comment

• My point in all of this, or my stance is, patience! Out of those averaging 20 + minutes per game this year, only two of them were recruited by PM and staff (Ridgnal and Beverly). Let's give him at least two full recruiting cycles to see what he can do. I don't think anyone thought it would be some miracle turnaround 25 win season. If they did, they are delusional.

Comment

My point in all of this, or my stance is, patience! Out of those averaging 20 + minutes per game this year, only two of them were recruited by PM and staff (Ridgnal and Beverly). Let's give him at least two full recruiting cycles to see what he can do. I don't think anyone thought it would be some miracle turnaround 25 win season. If they did, they are delusional.
                            I never expected much in the way of wins. I did expect to see a team that looked like they knew what they were doing and would improve throughout the season. So far, I'm not seeing any of that. It's concerning.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I never expected much in the way of wins. I did expect to see a team that looked like they knew what they were doing and would improve throughout the season. So far, I'm not seeing any of that. It's concerning.
                              Fair enough.

Comment

My point in all of this, or my stance is, patience! Out of those averaging 20 + minutes per game this year, only two of them were recruited by PM and staff (Ridgnal and Beverly). Let's give him at least two full recruiting cycles to see what he can do. I don't think anyone thought it would be some miracle turnaround 25 win season. If they did, they are delusional.
                                While what you posted is true.. that fact that he couldn't over recruit the backup players (outside of Pohto) from last year should be a bit concerning. Even when accounting for the shorter time period .. this is a pretty bad class IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X