Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syracuse is his hometown

Comment

• Makes sense thanks fellas The article said he transferred from Syracuse. Maybe I read it wrong. Oh well no biggie.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
        Lipscomb will be a very tough opening opponent. Won 20 games last year and return their top four scorers. Only lost to Notre Dame by one last year on the road.
        Our entire schedule is one large nasty minefield.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          Makes sense thanks fellas The article said he transferred from Syracuse. Maybe I read it wrong. Oh well no biggie.
          No, you read it right. It was an error in the article.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

No, you read it right. It was an error in the article.
            A rare miss by the young man. Working the kinks out in the exhibition. I feel bad for bringing it up. Sorry Taylor. No biggie...

GO SHOCKS!!!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Shorten the bench and experiment with fewer combinations and the Shox win this game by 40. We've got about 7 or 8 guys who are going to need to average 30+ minutes. With the NIT changes we don't have to worry about tired legs for the post season.

Playing Germany with Abidde or another player other than Pohto was utter failure. I'm skeptical of Germany's ability to share the floor with Ballard. I hope Pohto is in the best conditioning of his life, because he needs to be a 35-minute player.

Might be too early for this thought, but Ridgnal wasn't a consistent starter at Missouri State. Everyone was wondering why that was. Early reports indicate that may have been because he is not skilled on the defensive end.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• It is early. I'm speculating that C. Rogers will emerge as a solid player and our best 3pt. % shooter and one of our best scorers. Germany will be fine and an asset. Q. Ballard is impressive so far. KP will just keep improving. Both can hopefully get us more double-doubles. The last starting lineup could be the most used one. with DR playing lots of pt off the bench with occasional starts.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Generally, I liked what Coach Mills is doing. I like the spacing on the court and I like what (I think) is our overall purpose to try and be successful. I think, given time, he will be successful at WSU. Define successful you say? He'll win more than he loses.

And I'm trying to be fair in my evaluation. For instance, I thought Kenny was ok, played smart and didn't make many mistakes. But meh. Then I remember, Kenny was a problem for this conference late in season last year. He's clearly better. No reason to think he can't compete successfully.

I try to be the same with Beverly. He played in the F4 last season. The young man appears to be very cerebral and I like that. I like him in transition even if he isn't going to wow you with athletic ability. And that's fine. Not everyone has 5 supreme athletes. He shot mechanics needs work (and I don't think it will change). And it's a borderline set shot and that does NOT work at this level. Nevertheless, I am thrilled this sharp young man chose to play here.

Xavier Bell is a solid player. I think he's struggling to find a true position, but I appreciate a kid who finds what he's good at and embraces it and I think that's what he's doing. He's never going to be a stone cold shooter. Get going downhill and score or make them foul you then play tough as nails D. That works even if he's a bit undersized. Tough local kid, wish we always had an XB on our teams.

Quincy is improved. He needed to and he has. That's great for a big guy. FTs are going to be an adventure. Over 50% and I'll be shocked. And that hurts his ability to help us late in the game. Everybody needs to get better at throwing the ball "up" to him. I can't imagine what Freddy would have done for him....just wow. He's still a step slow but I don't think it will be as noticeable when he's matched up against men his size instead of D2. Keep the ball high.

Colby is a dude. Not a RB dude, but a dude nevertheless. He's going to have to be consistently good, and clutch, for this team to have success.

Has Isaac improved? He certainly has upside. It's not fair to judge on one game because it wasn't his best. But he has shown glimpses and he should move forward. Time will tell. Use that incredible athleticism you have young man and be aggressive. B E aggressive. B E A G G R E S S I V E.

Yanis Bamba. Clearly not ready, but man is he put together. One wonders if he can't find one or 2 things he could excel at while he develops.

Dalen Ridgnal. How he didn't play consistently at Missouri State is a head scratcher. But facts are facts. Good motor. I hope he doesn't fall in love with the 3 because I doubt he's a 60% shooter. If he is....fire it up young man. Cautious optimism here...and he seemed completely lost on the defensive end.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I think Joy finds minutes. Yeah, he's got a ton to learn but he's put together and seems to have a good amount of want to. Again, lost a lot out there but there's some things to work with here.

Germany....withholding comment. Assuming he just had a bad day.

Cortes, clearly we need him or teams will pressure us to death (they are going to anyway) and destroy us. Maybe we can get him at semester. But we need him and another PG. I realize it's not happening, but that's what we need.

Love the walkons and everything about their heart etc, but they aren't helping us during the games.

As it stands now, today, I have the over under on wins around 9X.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

With it being academic related, there are likely rules/laws preventing them from discussing it to some extent
                    I wonder if the athletic department has asked Cortes if they can talk about his situation. The player has the right to speak on his own behalf or allow the coach or athletic department to do so. If Cortes is being screwed around by the NCAA, it may be beneficial for the public to know. I thought each university was responsible for determining academic eligibility. If WSU believes what Cortes did this summer makes him eligible, I don’t understand what the problem is. How hard can it be to add up credit hours and figure his gpa?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post

I wonder if the athletic department has asked Cortes if they can talk about his situation. The player has the right to speak on his own behalf or allow the coach or athletic department to do so. If Cortes is being screwed around by the NCAA, it may be beneficial for the public to know. I thought each university was responsible for determining academic eligibility. If WSU believes what Cortes did this summer makes him eligible, I don’t understand what the problem is. How hard can it be to add up credit hours and figure his gpa?
                      Perhaps the issue is that Cortes took a couple of classes of the type that UNC offered their athletes. Perhaps WSU refused to accept them as transferrable and the athletic department is asking the NCAA to overrule admissions because "everybody" was able to attend those classes at OU, The issue might be whether the NCAA can allow transferrable credits that WSU admissions will not allow.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                        Lipscomb will be a very tough opening opponent. Won 20 games last year and return their top four scorers. Only lost to Notre Dame by one last year on the road.
                        No Joe Pleasant to worry about, though...:)

Comment

• WSU admissions works like this:

When transferring in a course ..

If the title of the course is 2 words or less, prepend "Remedial " to it and subtract 200 from the course number.
                          If the title of the course is 3 or more words, prepend "Introduction to " to it and subtract 300 from the course number.
                          If the course number is > 0 accept the credits, otherwise reject the course and make the student pay us to take a different course.

Examples: Say Cortes is transferring in ...

"English II" which is 210 in the OU catalog.
                          WSU's admissions department: "2 words, so subtract 200 = 10 ... we'll accept it as Remedial English II."

"Algebra I" which is 160 in the OU catalog.
                          "tsk, tsk, Remedial Algebra I won't fly here with a -40 rating."

How about "Advanced Number Theory" which is a doctoral level class of 730 at OU?
                          "We'll accept 'Introduction to Advanced Number Theory', but at only 430, it just won't fly for graduate credit."
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

No Joe Pleasant to worry about, though...:)
                            Don't speak too soon. I'm sure the NCAA would love to give him a waiver to play for WSU the moment he's brought up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Don't speak too soon. I'm sure the NCAA would love to give him a waiver to play for WSU the moment he's brought up.
                              Thankfully we now have a coach who would realize he shouldn't be starting over an elite wing who is now on an NBA roster.

Comment

• I'm not sure why anybody is expecting Cortez to be available this semester. It seems pretty cut and dried about what Cortes needed to do - he needed to complete the classwork per Mills. So if he is not eligible, it would seem that he DID NOT complete the classwork.

Oklahoma transfer Bijan Cortes, who is still clearing academic hurdles to become eligible and will not be able to play in games for WSU in Greece, a team spokesperson confirmed to The Eagle. Mills is confident Cortes will complete the necessary classwork in order to be ready to start the season,

Comment

Working...
                                X