X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

7,000 x $40 = $280,000
    10,500 x $20 = $210,000

Bold indeed. Could work out better financially, but it is taking a risk.
    But those 7K are pretty much already spoken for in season tickets I think. Or that was the gist of it I believe.

So it's more like:

0 * $40 = $0
    3,500 * $20 = $70,000
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Thursday is the correct day, but it should read:

Wichita State Men's Basketball
      @GoShockersMBB
      Ugh *Thursday, Oct. 26 at Noon
      11:44 AM ยท Oct 25, 2023

Comment

RH: Shockers Open with Exhibition on Sunday

Every Shocker knows about the standard at Wichita State. They are reminded every day by coach Paul Mills about the standard, how they measure up and how they can improve.

"Every day," said junior Ronnie DeGray III. "At least three times a day in film sessions. And then three times in practice and then three times after practice."

For Mills, his early months as basketball coach are all about showing the Shockers what he expects, reinforcing those expectations with data, feedback, instruction and video and helping them reach that standard.

Over time, the standard becomes part of the program, players enforce the standard and pass it on.

"Eventually you've got to hand the reins over to your players," Mills said earlier this month. "Our job is to teach them what the standard is, lead them in a way that these are the expectations and then eventually hand them the reins."

To reach that place, there can't be uncertainty or mystery about what the coaches want when running the offense or setting a screen or chasing loose balls.

"He makes it very clear," center Jacob Germany said. "We're not guessing on things."

Much of Mills' standards are about hustle โ€“ rebounding, boxing out, sprinting on cuts, sprinting back on turnovers. Some are about offensive efficiency and points per possession. A "care factor" sheet distributed to players tallies who is meeting the standard in those areas that require focus and good habits.Jacob Germany

"In practice, we have to do our job, which is rebounding for most people," Germany said. "If you don't do it, you have to run after practice. It's definitely motivating to do your job and stay to that standard."

Mills said the numbers are improving each day.

"Everybody's job is to defensive rebound," he said. "They get gauged on all those, they get a number at the end of the day. If they don't do their job, you run a 17, which is a pretty difficult thing to do . . . sideline to sideline you have to get 17 touches within a minute. It's not easy. They know every day who's doing rebounding running and care factor running."

For guard Xavier Bell, Mills' standard on getting good shots and not turning the ball over stands out. The best shots are layups and dunks, followed by open three-pointers.

"It's everything I could envision a coach would want," Bell said. "It's very clear, each player, what we need to do."

Freshman guard Yanis Bamba said he appreciates the clarity. "He shows me all the plays and the reads we've got to make," Bamba said. "Something that's really important right now is defense. That's something we work on a lot."

Interestingly, I think when Coach Mills was hired many of us were thinking we finely had a Coach who will stress and focus on the offensive side of the ball. It appears that defense and rebounding are pretty important to him. In fact, I am guessing the defense/rebounding will be ahead of the offense initially, with the offense gradually catching up as the season progresses.

I have to say I have been impressed so far with Coach Mills' style and approach as a coach. Hopefully, it will translate into a more successful and entertaining product on the court.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 27, 2023, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Holy crap. We're gonna be good. I have no idea when. But we ARE gonna be good again.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Holy crap. We're gonna be good. I have no idea when. But we ARE gonna be good again.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The emphasis on sprinting to the other end of the court after a defensive rebound has been brought up repeatedly. Mills' teams have always been efficient at shooting 3's. Mills has said that wasn't his intention. His intention was to shoot payups.

Put all that together and it seems that his game plan includes beating the other team to the other end of the court. Then either get a layup or dish to someone on the perimeter who is wide open for a 3.

A plan for running a transition game would be quite a departure from what we've seen the last couple of years. Wide open 3's would be quite a departure from a couple of SG's that have been in the program lately

The days of getting a rebound and then walking the ball up the court and taking 6 seconds off the shot clock appear to be in the rear view mirror.

The emphasis on defense along with Mills' history of higher-scoring games seems like there's a priority on scoring before the opponents have time to set up their defense. Minimize the number of forced last-second shots. That should get those who are currently going to watch on TV to want to get back into CKA. That style of BB is exciting, and 10,000 excited people is something you can't experience in front of your TV.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                The emphasis on sprinting to the other end of the court after a defensive rebound has been brought up repeatedly. Mills' teams have always been efficient at shooting 3's. Mills has said that wasn't his intention. His intention was to shoot payups.

Put all that together and it seems that his game plan includes beating the other team to the other end of the court. Then either get a layup or dish to someone on the perimeter who is wide open for a 3.

A plan for running a transition game would be quite a departure from what we've seen the last couple of years. Wide open 3's would be quite a departure from a couple of SG's that have been in the program lately

The days of getting a rebound and then walking the ball up the court and taking 6 seconds off the shot clock appear to be in the rear view mirror.

The emphasis on defense along with Mills' history of higher-scoring games seems like there's a priority on scoring before the opponents have time to set up their defense. Minimize the number of forced last-second shots. That should get those who are currently going to watch on TV to want to get back into CKA. That style of BB is exciting, and 10,000 excited people is something you can't experience in front of your TV.
                Some of my favorite basketball the last few years, included lulling the other team to sleep with one player dribbling the ball on the perimeter and then surprising them with a 3 ball attempt with 4 seconds left on the clock that often woke the other team up with a clang.

I don't know what to think about the changes that I've read about. Maybe I'll have something to say after Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Some of my favorite basketball the last few years, included lulling the other team to sleep with one player dribbling the ball on the perimeter and then surprising them with a 3 ball attempt with 4 seconds left on the clock that often woke the other team up with a clang.

I don't know what to think about the changes that I've read about. Maybe I'll have something to say after Sunday.
                  Donโ€™t know if this should make me laugh or cry. Glad those days are long gone.

dudes, we play ball in 2 days!!! Canโ€™t wait.

Comment

MBB Preview: Exhibition vs. Rogers State (Oct. 29)

WICHITA STATE vs. ROGERS STATE
                    Sunday, Oct. 29 | 1 p.m. CT
                    Wichita, Kan. | Charles Koch Arena

TV: None
                    Radio: KEYN 103.7 FM with Mike Kennedy & Dave Dahl

โ€ข Wichita State has 10 players on scholarship eligible to play in 2023-24 and two walk-ons.
                    โ€ข KenPom ranks the Shockers 141st nationally in its preseason rankings and 93rd defensively.
                    โ€ข Wichita State was picked to finish 8th in the American Athletic Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.
                    โ€ข Wichita State returns only 20.3 percent of its scoring from a season ago, having lost its top four scorers.
                    โ€ข The 2022-23 Shockers ranked 230th in adjusted tempo, but that will most certainly change under Mills' leadership. His Oral Roberts squad was 40th in tempo last season.
                    โ€ข Wichita State ranked near the very bottom in the NCAA when it came to 3-point shooting a season ago. Converting on just 30.9 percent of its attempts from beyond the arc, that ranked 324th nationally. Mills' Oral Roberts squad on the other hand attempted nearly 400 more and shot 36.5 percent, which ranked 56th in the country.

The initial bullet point above seems to be saying that both DeGray and Cortes are not eligible this season, although why would Cortes not be able to be eligible of the 2nd semester?

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 27, 2023, 02:14 PM.

Comment

No true PG is disturbing

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                        No true PG is DISTURBING
                        FIFY

Comment

I'm sure HCPM can work around it, but not recruiting a second PG will look really bad if Bijan Cortes can't get eligible.

Comment

Are there different rules for grades when transferring schools. Was Cortes in danger of not being able to play at OU this coming season had he not transferred? Or is this the 'ole had he transferred to a P-5 school there would be no issue with this type of thing? This seems weird to me....
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Does anyone know if goshocker.com will have in game stats (or post game)?

Comment

Been so long since I've been to a game. Can i take pictures at a game anymore? Or is it discouraged?

Comment

Working...
                                X