Shockers vs Rogers State (Exhibition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

No, you read it right. It was an error in the article.
    Today's article on Ballard:
    After notching a double-double in Sunday’s exhibition, the 6-foot-11 center said he plans on letting his game do the talking this season.

Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• I just read through the NCAA guide for 4 year transfers. I would guess the hang up is based on the following question and if there is a waiver for it. Was Cortes academically eligible when he left OU? If not, he can’t play immediately. WSU may be asking for a waiver based on him successfully completing his summer course work and the circumstances that may have contributed to poor academic performance during the 2023 spring semester. If I recall correctly, I believe he left the team for a couple weeks for personal reasons. I don’t know if there is precedent for the NCAA making an exception to this rule. I know there is a mental health exception for other circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
        I just read through the NCAA guide for 4 year transfers. I would guess the hang up is based on the following question and if there is a waiver for it. Was Cortes academically eligible when he left OU? If not, he can’t play immediately. WSU may be asking for a waiver based on him successfully completing his summer course work and the circumstances that may have contributed to poor academic performance during the 2023 spring semester. If I recall correctly, I believe he left the team for a couple weeks for personal reasons. I don’t know if there is precedent for the NCAA making an exception to this rule. I know there is a mental health exception for other circumstances.
        That sounds plausable.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, the waiver will be denied unless there is a specific rule that states:

"Any player named Cortes transferring from OU to WSU shall be granted a waiver."

Comment

• I might be wrong, but at one time a Junior, which Cortez is, had to show progress towards completing a degree. That may have changed, but if not, in addition to potentially needing to becoming eligible it maybe that he still has to pass enough credits to show progress towards a degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
            I might be wrong, but at one time a Junior, which Cortez is, had to show progress towards completing a degree. That may have changed, but if not, in addition to potentially needing to becoming eligible it maybe that he still has to pass enough credits to show progress towards a degree.
            We have a winner….

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

We have a winner….
              I believe it was you that was confident he would be eligible. Are you still confident .. not asking that in a snarky way, but an actual question based on what you have heard. Is that still your feeling or has that changed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I believe it was you that was confident he would be eligible. Are you still confident .. not asking that in a snarky way, but an actual question based on what you have heard. Is that still your feeling or has that changed?
                I am confident his GPA is good enough. Came from a reliable source. Beyond that, I am confounded that the hours requirement doesn’t have or didn’t have solutions that were fixable. Again, that has to be the problem based on logical deduction (but no one has told me that) and ffs, if Jakywon Walton can pass 18 hours at the 11th hour from 1000 miles away, it seems like one of our own’s problem should be easy to fix.

Comment

• Somebody here dropped the ball, Oklahoma didn’t cooperate, or the NCAA can’t screw us fast enough. Your guess is as good as mine.

All I know for certain, is for any chance for us to have a .500 or better season, he has to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    Somebody here dropped the ball, Oklahoma didn’t cooperate, or the NCAA can’t screw us fast enough. Your guess is as good as mine.

All I know for certain, is for any chance for us to have a .500 or better season, he has to play.

Comment

• Taylor's Cortes article from today:
                      Here’s how coach Paul Mills has helped the point guard develop his game this summer and how he could help the Shockers this season.

Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockrah View Post
                        Taylor's Cortes article from today:
                        Here’s how coach Paul Mills has helped the point guard develop his game this summer and how he could help the Shockers this season.
                        “We’ve turned everything in, it’s just a matter of waiting,” Mills told The Eagle last month. “It’s an academic issue, not a two-time transfer issue, so that’s why we’re not overly concerned about it. It’s a process. Now we’re just waiting on that process.”

Uhhhh. I wonder if our new coach knows our history with the NCAA. Don't hold your breath coach.

Comment

• If Cortes is allowed to play at some point this season it will be interesting to see if can in fact change his ways. He has to if he wants to play. A point guard with a 33% turnover rate is certainly not the answer. With that said it does sound like he understands and is buying what Coach Mills is selling.

Based on the comment from a team spokesperson that there is “an ongoing process” for Cortes to receive a waiver from the NCAA to play this season, my money is on Cortes being eligible to play the second semester he he successfully navigates "the process" for the first semester. I would like to hope it would be sooner than that bit this is the NCAA we are dealing with and doing favors for Wichita State seems to be towards the bottom of their mission statement.

So perhaps this season's trajectory may depend in large part on the efforts and talents of Coach Gretchen Torline.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockrah View Post
                            Taylor's Cortes article from today:
                            Guess I'm having another "senior moment", but what exactly does this mean?: "‘Whoa’ and then you’re going to see him barrel over somebody. That’s why he had a 33% turnover rate. That’s not great when one out of three times you’re giving it to the opposition."

He averaged 2.0 assists and 1.4 TO. Am I thinking wrong that a 2 to 1 ratio is 33%. What he had was 41%, yes?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Guess I'm having another "senior moment", but what exactly does this mean?: "‘Whoa’ and then you’re going to see him barrel over somebody. That’s why he had a 33% turnover rate. That’s not great when one out of three times you’re giving it to the opposition."

He averaged 2.0 assists and 1.4 TO. Am I thinking wrong that a 2 to 1 ratio is 33%. What he had was 41%, yes?
                              What Is A Turnover Percentage?

A turnover percentage in basketball is the total number of possessions that end up as turnovers. This percentage is defined as the estimate of total turnovers for every 100 plays. The following are formulas that help to calculate this.
                              • Turnover percentage per possession: TOV/(FGA-OR) + TOV + (.475 X FTA)
                              • Turnover Rate per 100 possessions: TOV X 100/(FGA-OR) + TOV + (.475 X FTA)

The turnover percentage or turnover rate is a statistic that helps compare how opponents in a game are faring. It can also be used to compare performances of different teams or the same team over different seasons.

What is a good turnover percentage in basketball?

As explained, turnovers are a bad thing since they represent losing possession. Therefore, a high turnover percentage is undesirable since it shows that loss of possession takes a lot.

A turnover rate of around 20 per 100 possessions is considered average. Therefore, to have a turnover percentage that is considered good, they ought to strive to maintain it below this. Anything above 33, on the other hand, is considered hazardous.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

1 out of every 3 times he handled the ball he had a turnover. If he averaged 1.4 TO's/game then multiply that by 3 and he handled the ball 4.2 times per game. Out of those 4.2 times he handled, he had 2 assists. 2 assists plus 1.4 TO's = 3.4 of the 4.2 times he handled the ball resulted in either an assist or a turnover. That's an incredibly high rate for both assists per touch and TO's per touch. That explains the "whoa - how'd he do that" followed by "whoa - why'd he do that".
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X