Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

We are a clown show. How many schools in the country are paying three coaches? If Mills has five guaranteed years, it is a ridiculous showing by our AD.

I repeat, we are only in this mess because we kept giving long guaranteed contracts. With Marshall, that was earned and appropriate. It was not for Brown. Mills has a few more years as a head coach, but only one great regular season showing.
    Seriously???? If you were AD, you would have been running around the country offering a 2 year contract. You couldn't get Eck from Kapaun for that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      Length isn't as important as buyout structure. But we will be off all the current severance payments by year 3 anyways.
      Girth is better than length if you use it right. Got it.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Dude get rid of your avatar before I send someone up to Alaska to get rid of it for you.
        I will when fever does. I’m tired of looking at boaty mcboatface
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Seriously???? If you were AD, you would have been running around the country offering a 2 year contract. You couldn't get Eck from Kapaun for that!
          I would have offered a contract that wasn't 5+ years guaranteed. I don't care if we have a big non-guaranteed portion after our liabilities clear, nor do I care about how long that extends. But we have liabilities for a reason. And those liabilities are big part of why we went after Mills, rather than a coach that commands Marshall sized contract.

​​

Comment

I would have offered a contract that wasn't 5+ years guaranteed. I don't care if we have a big non-guaranteed portion after our liabilities clear, nor do I care about how long that extends. But we have liabilities for a reason. And those liabilities are big part of why we went after Mills, rather than a coach that commands Marshall sized contract.

​​
            And you'd be setting Mills up for guaranteed failure on the recruiting and transfer trail and thus be looking for another coach in two years.

Comment

• Do kids even care about that anymore with the portal?

Comment

​​
                Well thank GOD you have absolutely ZERO say in what goes on in the Wichita State athletic department. We would be begging for Boatright to come back.
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                  Do kids even care about that anymore with the portal?
                  Most probably do care and don’t intend to hop around. The current system just makes it tempting to look around at other options.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

And you'd be setting Mills up for guaranteed failure on the recruiting and transfer trail and thus be looking for another coach in two years.
                    Oh no, we'd have to get a new coach! Good thing in that circumstance we don't have millions in liabilities and can afford to spend $5-7M and get the pick of the litter.

Frankly, we still have the possibility of looking for a new coach before Mills goes through a recruiting cycle. If we did what we needed to do to have any shot, that's the path we had. But we'll still be deservedly mocked if Mills has the same contract as Brown with each having just one great season behind it (Brown winning the AAC obviously, Mills winning 30).

Obviously I want Mills to succeed and have this discussion not matter. The jury is still out. But Mills is already not being put in a place to succeed. It is entirely reasonable to rebuild for a year or three under most circumstances. But if it is year three without a 20 win season, he'll know just as much as we do that a lot of money is coming off our books. Could we have waited six years for a 30 win season, like Oral Roberts did, knowing that after year 3 we could spend much more money in a coaching search?
                    ​​​​​​
                    Isaac Brown didn't get that chance.

Comment

• Isaac Brown was NOT mistreated in any way.

Comment

Oh no, we'd have to get a new coach! Good thing in that circumstance we don't have millions in liabilities and can afford to spend $5-7M and get the pick of the litter.

Frankly, we still have the possibility of looking for a new coach before Mills goes through a recruiting cycle. If we did what we needed to do to have any shot, that's the path we had. But we'll still be deservedly mocked if Mills has the same contract as Brown with each having just one great season behind it (Brown winning the AAC obviously, Mills winning 30).

Obviously I want Mills to succeed and have this discussion not matter. The jury is still out. But Mills is already not being put in a place to succeed. It is entirely reasonable to rebuild for a year or three under most circumstances. But if it is year three without a 20 win season, he'll know just as much as we do that a lot of money is coming off our books. Could we have waited six years for a 30 win season, like Oral Roberts did, knowing that after year 3 we could spend much more money in a coaching search?
                        ​​​​​​
                        Isaac Brown didn't get that chance.
                        It is our fault because while you and everyone else went to sleep, WSU did hire President Golden for about 6 months. He was the epitome of a clown. Isaac Brown was given more than he deserved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

It is our fault because while you and everyone else went to sleep, WSU did hire President Golden for about 6 months. He was the epitome of a clown. Isaac Brown was given more than he deserved.
                          That’s an insult to clowns

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

That’s an insult to clowns
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• For clarity, my point on Isaac Brown isn't that he was mistreated. It is that he didn't crack 20 wins in three seasons, and got canned. Would we let Mills get a fourth season in that circumstance? ORU did, and he got a Sweet 16 that year.

We could immediately get new transfers and go back to winning. But we could also be in for a longer rebuild, which is entirely within reason. Will butts stay in seats for a recruiting cycle if that it is what it takes? Will we stick with Mills through thick or thin?

Comment

• WSU had been to the tournament 7 times in the previous 9 years (would have been 8 if they played it in 2020) before IB got the job

ORU hadn’t made it since 2007-2008 before Mills got there.

Totally different scenarios.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X