The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I'm nervous we still haven't heard anything about an official visit...
    Trilly has mentioned it's possible this weekend. The KSU and UT visits weren't really confirmed until Abmas posted something though.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
      I don’t understand why having a pistol is such an issue with people on here. He had a lawfully concealed weapon that he had disclosed to officers when asked. They found his weed (also not a big deal) when the officer went to secure the weapon. Some liberal reporter found it and said “Oooo, booga booga, scary gun!” and you ate it up.

It’s legal and it’s an explicitly protected right and he is free to exercise it.
      I certainly don't have a feeling that SN is up in arms (no pun intended...ok well maybe) about JW merely having a gun. I agree with you that possessing a firearm--in and of itself--isn't a big deal.

At the risk of speaking for others, I think JW is being criticized because he is now part of a program that has recently experienced a great deal of controversy centered around an incident where a former player shot and killed a dude. Regardless of how one feels about gun possession, and certainly regardless of whether possessing one was legal or not, with the microscope firmly affixed on that program right now, doing what he did--though not illegal--is terribly tone deaf and obtuse. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you should do it under certain circumstances. Some have brought up the question of whether it was a violation of team rules--a very valid point. I believe if Coach Oates and/or the school administration was worth a damn, they would have imposed some very strict team rules and had quite a few conversations with the kids about what they should and should not be doing right now.

So I wonder if what you think some on SN have an issue with what they actually have an issue with are two different things. There's a bigger picture here that I think you may be overlooking.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• It kinda feels that Max is not only rightfully taking his time and doing his due diligence...but also getting intel and word that if he comes to Wichita...that coach PM has a couple other "dominoes" willing to come as well depending on everybody's decisions.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Someone found a social media post where he said something like "I don't care what others think, my decisions are my own" followed by two middle fingers. Presumably in regards to his decision to leave. It's here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Trilly has mentioned it's possible this weekend. The KSU and UT visits weren't really confirmed until Abmas posted something though.
            He likes to keeps things close to the vest, reminds me of someone else...

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post

Or Illinois State ?
              Since Dirty Dan no longer roams the sideline, I would *hope* that stereotype will change for the Redbirds. Honestly, before Dan took over, Illinois State might have been my second favorite Valley team. I remember beating them in 2010 to make our first finals in forever. Had a nice little conversation with an older ISU couple at Union Station. Told them I liked their team and that their squad put more worry into me than UNI did. (So much for that theory).
              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Since Dirty Dan no longer roams the sideline, I would *hope* that stereotype will change for the Redbirds. Honestly, before Dan took over, Illinois State might have been my second favorite Valley team. I remember beating them in 2010 to make our first finals in forever. Had a nice little conversation with an older ISU couple at Union Station. Told them I liked their team and that their squad put more worry into me than UNI did. (So much for that theory).
                I felt the same way about ISU and it seemed like there was mutual respect among the fans. But then there were a number of incidents that changed all that: Jans either flipping off or yelling at the crowd (I don't recall if they threw things or just shouted insults), the altercation outside the lockerrooms, and then Kung Fu Charmichael.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post

Is this true or sarcasm? I can't even tell anymore.
                  Yes, it's true. It is a rumor.

Comment

• I personally saw obscene/threatening texts from ISU fans to CJ. Trust me, him giving anyone the bird is child's play.

Comment

• Don’t forget the crowd throwing coins at the team as the left the court.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

I certainly don't have a feeling that SN is up in arms (no pun intended...ok well maybe) about JW merely having a gun. I agree with you that possessing a firearm--in and of itself--isn't a big deal.

At the risk of speaking for others, I think JW is being criticized because he is now part of a program that has recently experienced a great deal of controversy centered around an incident where a former player shot and killed a dude. Regardless of how one feels about gun possession, and certainly regardless of whether possessing one was legal or not, with the microscope firmly affixed on that program right now, doing what he did--though not illegal--is terribly tone deaf and obtuse. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you should do it under certain circumstances. Some have brought up the question of whether it was a violation of team rules--a very valid point. I believe if Coach Oates and/or the school administration was worth a damn, they would have imposed some very strict team rules and had quite a few conversations with the kids about what they should and should not be doing right now.

So I wonder if what you think some on SN have an issue with what they actually have an issue with are two different things. There's a bigger picture here that I think you may be overlooking.
                        No, I get it. But he wasn’t kicked for having a gun, or for having the weed, because there is literally nothing wrong with one and the other is something every other nana player and half the coaches are almost certain to do as well. He was kicked because he turned himself into a distraction. People crucifying JW need to take a chill pill, because we are fans, supporters, and boosters of the school that didn’t kick a player for driving drunk, which is 10x worse than this. In fact, I think we are getting ready to welcome him back on campus to cheer him on…
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Ready for another cryptic tweet from TE like: "Shocker fans should enjoy this weekend to the max"
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                              Ready for another cryptic tweet from TE like: "Shocker fans should enjoy this weekend to the max"
                              The marketing opportunities are endless!! Max potential for NIL

Comment

• Having a legal firearm - no problem with that. Used to have my own selection of them, but they were all lost in a boating accident.

Partaking in weed - not my thing personally, but I fail to see how it differs much from alcohol consumption.

Weed on you and legal gun on you - bit of a problem. Not much different than open container and a gun. You want to get hammered or stoned that's fine by me - you do you - but don't mix that with things that could put others at risk due to your diminished mental state.

Modern day "proactive" law enforcement running around hassling folks for stuff like "loitering" and predicating arrests like this - we can talk about that all day long. I'm 100% not a fan.

My take... worth what you paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X