The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

if there’s no inherent advantages, please explain Memphis getting 10X the 4 and 5 star recruits we get.
    Probably having too many fans that have lower expectations and are ok accepting "limitations" as excuses. Kinda like yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Probably having too many fans that have lower expectations and are ok accepting "limitations" as excuses. Kinda like yourself.
      That’s not a real explanation. And you know that.

Comment

Memphis has zero advantages that we don't have. It's ridiculous to say that we should just be ok with accepting that we don't compete for top recruits.
        Many schools get top recruits but never achieve great levels in the NCAA. Some of the kids rated 4* & especially 5* think they are above working hard and expect the team to revolve around them. How many stars a kid gets is based solely on ability of the individual not his adaptation to a team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
          Many schools get top recruits but never achieve great levels in the NCAA. Some of the kids rated 4* & especially 5* think they are above working hard and expect the team to revolve around them. How many stars a kid gets is based solely on ability of the individual not his adaptation to a team.
          The teams that consistently get 4 and 5 stars do consistently better than the teams mining for diamonds in the rough. Do they achieve to their potential? No. But their results are still consistently better

Comment

That’s not a real explanation. And you know that.
            Well your question wasn't in good faith. How about you explain the advantages that you feel Memphis has over us. Will probably go a long way to explaining your consistent "it's the best we can expect" approach recently

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

I wouldn't look for the Freddy's HQ to stay around here for very much longer. They were bought by an out-of-state firm a year or two ago. When was the last time a business stayed in Wichita in a scenario like this?

And major LOL at folks hoping for philanthropy out of the wealthy businesses and individuals in Wichita. That ain't a Wichita thing, and it is one of the main contributors to the depressed, backwater state of this town. The big 3G contract after the Alabama flirt is legitimately the only time I can recall in the history of Wichita when those folks came together to make something happen for the betterment of the community. Not that I am for some government mandate for such a thing, but towns that are healthy, growing and desirable for relocation have that as a significant component of their positioning. What Wichita has is near zero philanthropic giving, and major projects 100% funded on the backs of individual Wichita taxpayers that somehow end up providing an end product that should have cost half of what it did. It is almost farcical.
              ….but you forgot about the Gorilla Exhibit at the Zoo.

Comment

Well your question wasn't in good faith. How about you explain the advantages that you feel Memphis has over us. Will probably go a long way to explaining your consistent "it's the best we can expect" approach recently
                That’s pure BS. I never once said that, nor do I believe it.

I pointed out a 20+ year span of recruiting history because you’re pretty clearly expecting PM to step in and recruit the same as Penny. And that’s ridiculous.

You said Memphis has no advantages over WSU in recruiting, and it’s pretty obvious from the past 20 years that’s not true.

A former NBA superstar alum as their HC is a good place to start?

I am not saying the programs are dramatically different. Or that WSU shouldn’t be competing at the same level. Or that “we should be happy with whateverthehell”

I’m saying expecting Mills to step in and recruit on pace with Memphis sure ignores a lot of history. Including the best coach in Shocker history not even getting close.

Comment

I pointed out a 20+ year span of recruiting history because you’re pretty clearly expecting PM to step in and recruit the same as Penny. And that’s ridiculous.

You said Memphis has no advantages over WSU in recruiting, and it’s pretty obvious from the past 20 years that’s not true.

I am not saying the programs are dramatically different. Or that WSU shouldn’t be competing at the same level. Or that “we should be happy with whateverthehell”

I’m saying expecting Mills to step in and recruit on pace with Memphis sure ignores a lot of history. Including the best coach in Shocker history not even getting close.
                  Throw in the fact that they’ve got like 7 former players on nba rosters right now…

Comment

So we didn't hire a splash coach. That's on us and not an inherent advantage.

So HCPM gets a pass this year. So we grab a bunch of bench player, or as some have suggested, leave a bunch of scholarships open because he failed to convince players they want to be here. Then we have another mediocre year and half transfer again. Does he get another pass? I mean according to you, our history suggests we shouldn't expect known good players to want to come here very often. When does the accountability start?

I'm also not expecting him to land multiple 5 stars like Memphis but that's a drastic difference than people hyping up players that have been in college 2-4 years with no results and thinking we hit a home run. We have 5 scholarships left. HCPM needs to hit actual home runs with half of those otherwise next year will be worse than this year. Which will likely lead to more turnover.

Comment

Memphis has zero advantages that we don't have. It's ridiculous to say that we should just be ok with accepting that we don't compete for top recruits.
                      The Memphis metro is twice as large as the Wichita metro, and it is 50% black compared to 7% black.

Some might call those differences relevant in the context of college basketball recruiting.

Comment

The Memphis metro is twice as large as the Wichita metro, and it is 50% black compared to 7% black.

Some might call those differences relevant in the context of college basketball recruiting.
                        Probably the most relevant fact would be the number of Division one players and their rankings that come out of either compared to Wichita and Memphis.

Comment

So we didn't hire a splash coach. That's on us and not an inherent advantage.
                          What former NBA super star alum do you want us to hire? X? Fred?

We know you don’t like Mills. Trust me. Everyone gets it.

It clouds your judgement on like every post. That’s the annoying/thing you deserve to get called out on.

He wasn’t my first choice. Or second. Or third.

But I’m going to give him a fair shake.

And acting like we should recruit the same as Memphis is NOT giving him a fair shake…. Which is the entire point I’m trying to get to in this back and forth.

That’s all I have to say on it. Carry on.
                          Last edited by ShockerExpress; April 23, 2023, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I'll take ORU fans insight with a grain of salt IMO. HCPM has a prime opportunity to make this season not a down year by getting Abmas. I don't buy that we can't land high level recruits and transfers. Memphis is having no problem landing them from the AAC and they have done jack **** in the postseason (due to poor coaching). We should be able to recruit at the same level as Memphis.
                            I doubt this season will be a down year. I don't think HCPM does either. He will do better than last year and will make the Shocks watchable again. He may not get to the HCGM level next year but we will be better than last year regardless of who he recruits.
                            I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

I wouldn't look for the Freddy's HQ to stay around here for very much longer. They were bought by an out-of-state firm a year or two ago. When was the last time a business stayed in Wichita in a scenario like this?

And major LOL at folks hoping for philanthropy out of the wealthy businesses and individuals in Wichita. That ain't a Wichita thing, and it is one of the main contributors to the depressed, backwater state of this town. The big 3G contract after the Alabama flirt is legitimately the only time I can recall in the history of Wichita when those folks came together to make something happen for the betterment of the community. Not that I am for some government mandate for such a thing, but towns that are healthy, growing and desirable for relocation have that as a significant component of their positioning. What Wichita has is near zero philanthropic giving, and major projects 100% funded on the backs of individual Wichita taxpayers that somehow end up providing an end product that should have cost half of what it did. It is almost farcical.
                              Forget philanthropy. Even investors are unrealistic, expecting impossible immediate returns. There’s a very old school, tight pocketed mentality about wichita. There many things I love about wichita, but the general state of mind is not one of them lmao

Comment

• So….. recruiting?
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X