As of now, odds IB is back next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I was coming at from more of a "how much does a few hundred thousand extra matter when you're a multi-millionaire living in Wichita, Kansas?" angle.
    Then that would be a question for WuDrWu.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I was coming at from more of a "how much does a few hundred thousand extra matter when you're a multi-millionaire living in Wichita, Kansas?" angle.
      Most highly competitive individuals don't think that way. Salary alone is a competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Most highly competitive individuals don't think that way. Salary alone is a competition.
        This reminds me of a quote: "The tragedy for many ambitious people is that they have no sense of enough."

While I agree with your statement generally, some coaches can be extremely successful without being captive to biggest paycheck. For example, UCLA reportedly offered to double Jay Wright's salary in 2019 and he chose to remain at Villanova.

Last edited by TrackSuitAndTie; January 31, 2023, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Marshall I believe was also rumored to have turned down more money from UCLA or Cal because he understood cost of living exists and he still technically made more money in Wichita.

Not everyone sees things that way. I used to work for a 3rd party accounting firm and noticed someone went from working at a restaurant I believe in AZ to the same restaurant in the Bay Area, and while the numbers on the check were higher, he had much less spending power. Maybe he had other reasons to move to the Bay Area, perhaps he was from there and wanted to get home. Maybe he felt the job title was more important and could lead to bigger things. But I want to say his spending power went down something like 10%.

Also, I don't want Turgeon.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

Using $600 per ticket * 3,000 (max) more tickets = $1,800,000. Any additional SAS0 $$ have to go towards scholarships.
            And that's the absolute, best-case, pie-in-the-sky scenario. I would expect a bump of 1000 to 1500 new season tickets, depending on the hire, to be the best we can reasonably expect. After how the pandemic changed people's behavior and spending habits, and the recent inflation, it's going to take awhile to refill the arena, I fear.

I expect the significant donors will know Saal's plan, one way or the other by the end of this month, if they don't already. So whether IB is still our coach next year, I don't think it will cause much additional financial harm.

Comment

• Hearing rumblings of another mass exodus at the conclusion of the season.

Comment

• But..... He's a PLAYERS coach!!!!!
                The Assman

Comment

Hearing rumblings of another mass exodus at the conclusion of the season.
                  if true, it would have to be the final nail for IB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

if true, it would have to be the final nail for IB.
                    IBall apologists will simply blame NIL and lack of support/resources. The narrative will be no coach can be successful at WSU under the current landscape.

Comment

Not surprising at all. These guys talk and they know how successful those who transfered out have become under better coaching.

Comment

• Hmmm, which road are we going to take?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Ok, I’m alright with another mass exodus if it means getting rid of IB and cleaning house

Comment

This is probably true for 65% of the schools in the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Nice job. With these numbers, it doesn't make sense to fire IB. I would say you need to factor in what happens with season tickets. I would not expect season tickets to fall to much further. I would look at historical numbers to see how bad it got in the 90's. That is probably the low point.

For the new coach hire, you can look at what happened with Turgeon and Marshall to get an idea of how much tickets sales could recover. It will depend the excitement of the hire. There is a thread with where I showed attendance levels through the Turgeon that you can get some estimate.
                              The low point is lower and the ceiling is lower. Your option in 1994 was whatever game was on ESPN or the brand new ESPN2 (lumberjack competitions), Seinfeld, Murder, She Wrote, or the piss trough and wooden benches at Henry Levitt. Many more options for your entertainment dollar today that don’t involve driving through traffic from further and further suburbs (remember when the Cotillion was in Eastern Colorado) after work to a rough part of town, walking through freezing winds and getting wanded by security to watch a mediocre team with no local kids and little affinity to the university play mediocre basketball against teams that never saw the airwaves in the pre-ESPN+ era. Remember that one Valley game a week we used to get on KWCH brought to you by State Farm? That was overexposure relative to some of our existing and future conference mates.

WSU can have great crowds and semi regular sellouts and be nationally relevant again, but it will not be 2016.The “abyss” term that was thrown around here referencing the ‘90’s would find Mariana Trench depths in today’s landscape. Look at the crowds that are showing up. A lot of blue and silver hair. That doesn’t bode well for long term support.
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                                This is probably true for 65% of the schools in the country.
                                But when it's every year that ain't good.

Comment

Working...
                                X