Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Didn’t stop Texas from going after him.
    Texas had an idea about what they were getting, Texas decided to dance anyways, and Texas lost massively. Chris is not worth WSU's time. I promise.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      We need to spend next to nothing on a coach and $400k a pop for five players. It is the new way of doing business. Guarantee you we would have better results that way. Go hire the guy from Last Chance U for $100k a year.
      100%
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

We need to spend next to nothing on a coach and $400k a pop for five players. It is the new way of doing business. Guarantee you we would have better results that way. Go hire the guy from Last Chance U for $100k a year.
        You do realize $400k might get you one 4* or maybe a couple 3*. And without a real coach they will expect to be the star.. tp type star.
        ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

You do realize $400k might get you one 4* or maybe a couple 3*. And without a real coach they will expect to be the star.. tp type star.
          ​​​
          Nah, $400k per year will get you 5 good portal players. IDGAF about high schools. That method is in the rear view mirror.

Comment

I think he met 400K per player -- 2 million total.

Comment

Nah, $400k per year will get you 5 good portal players. IDGAF about high schools. That method is in the rear view mirror.
              That's what we should be paying our present coach for what he does.

But I hear where you are coming from. The Shox will never be what they were for a year or two under Turgeon, for a decade under Gregg, for a decade under Gene Smithson/Eddie Fogler, and for a decade under Ralph. We might hit a couple of years of winning NIT ball like Harry Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                Beard is an abusive alcoholic, and it's been well known (among entry level CBB staff) for several years.

It's not happening.
                You sound like you have firsthand information. Any more detail on what you're basing this on?

I have been meaning to post on this topic.

I hung out with Beard and a mutual friend (a class act of a coach, neither abusive nor alcoholic, I have known him for many years) at a Final Four a few years ago. Beard was kind, gracious, and loved telling stories about coaching 6 year old kids in 100+ degree weather on the outdoor courts at UT basketball camp in the 80s. The guy paid his dues more than most.

That was my single and only impression of him, but it was very positive. I liked Marshall every time I met him, same with Turge, but you could tell that Marshall was emotionally intense and Turge was not an extrovert. Beard made an impression of a coach that fits the profile of what we would want here.

Anyway, that was just one time and we all know how that goes in reality. What my friend and his wife have had to say about him for years (including after the incident) means significantly more though.

So that's all the firsthand secondhand and otherhand conjecture that means nothing.

Also, I took the liberty of telling my friend and his wife the other night that I speak for the entire Wichita State fan base and could they please get word through to Beard that we all want him.

Okay? Okay.

Bonus random side story - this whole thing reminded me of some coach or athletic department official hanging out with us at that Final Four. When he found out I was a Wichita State fan, all he wanted to talk about was how he couldn't believe we hired Boatright as the AD and that he knew him only as a junior high school volleyball coach in West Virginia or something. Couple other weird comments that gave me a bad feeling, but I don't remember them.

Too Long Didn't Read Summary - I had a couple beers with Beard a few years ago, and based on how good of a guy he is I decided to offer him the head coaching job. Someone tell the lawyers to draw up the paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post

You sound like you have firsthand information. Any more detail on what you're basing this on?

I hung out with Beard and a mutual friend (a class act of a coach, neither abusive nor alcoholic, I have known him for many years) at a Final Four a few years ago. Beard was kind, gracious, and loved telling stories about coaching 6 year old kids in 100+ degree weather on the outdoor courts at UT basketball camp in the 80s. The guy paid his dues more than most.

That was my single and only impression of him, but it was very positive. I liked Marshall every time I met him, same with Turge, but you could tell that Marshall was emotionally intense and Turge was not an extrovert. Beard made an impression of a coach that fits the profile of what we would want here.

Anyway, that was just one time and we all know how that goes in reality. What my friend and his wife have had to say about him for years (including after the incident) means significantly more though.

So that's all the firsthand secondhand and otherhand conjecture that means nothing.

Also, I took the liberty of telling my friend and his wife the other night that I speak for the entire Wichita State fan base and could they please get word through to Beard that we all want him.

Okay? Okay.

Bonus random side story - this whole thing reminded me of some coach or athletic department official hanging out with us at that Final Four. When he found out I was a Wichita State fan, all he wanted to talk about was how he couldn't believe we hired Boatright as the AD and that he knew him only as a junior high school volleyball coach in West Virginia or something. Couple other weird comments that gave me a bad feeling, but I don't remember them.

Too Long Didn't Read Summary - I had a couple beers with Beard a few years ago, and based on how good of a guy he is I decided to offer him the head coaching job. Someone tell the lawyers to draw up the paperwork.
                  You didn’t convince me one tiny bit Beard should be considered but that was a hell of an entertaining post we could stand to see more often. The Boatright part was the best.

Comment

Okay? Okay.

I’d hire you based on that.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Okay? Okay.

It seems odd that in defense of someone accused of being an alcoholic you would mention having a couple of beers with him a few years ago. You made it sound like that was the one time you met him and decided he wasn't abusive or an alcoholic.

It doesn't matter what you think. It's what the rest of the nation thinks, and right now Beard would be an easy coach to recruit against

Facts don't matter. The only thing that matters is the perception and interpretation of info that people have. The info on Beard right now (right or wrong) is pretty bad.

As an example that truth doesn't matter, I present the 2020 Presidential election. Some of the people believe the election was done honestly and the the clear winner is in the White House. Others believe that votes were miscounted or changed and the wrong person is in the White House. It doesn't matter which opinion is correct, It only matters what people think is correct..

After losing one coach accused of abusing players, hiring another accused of abusing his girlfriend would give WSU a REALLY BAD reputation. It doesn't matter if Marshall punched a player or if Beard smacked his fiancee. Public opinion has no restriction on "innocent until proven guilty". Public opinion is typically biased toward guilty. Nancy Grace made a career out of that concept.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

It seems odd that in defense of someone accused of being an alcoholic you would mention having a couple of beers with him a few years ago. You made it sound like that was the one time you met him and decided he wasn't abusive or an alcoholic.

It doesn't matter what you think. It's what the rest of the nation thinks, and right now Beard would be an easy coach to recruit against

Facts don't matter. The only thing that matters is the perception and interpretation of info that people have. The info on Beard right now (right or wrong) is pretty bad.

As an example that truth doesn't matter, I present the 2020 Presidential election. Some of the people believe the election was done honestly and the the clear winner is in the White House. Others believe that votes were miscounted or changed and the wrong person is in the White House. It doesn't matter which opinion is correct, It only matters what people think is correct..

After losing one coach accused of abusing players, hiring another accused of abusing his girlfriend would give WSU a REALLY BAD reputation. It doesn't matter if Marshall punched a player or if Beard smacked his fiancee. Public opinion has no restriction on "innocent until proven guilty". Public opinion is typically biased toward guilty. Nancy Grace made a career out of that concept.

Didn’t realize you were the voice of public perception and opinion and a recruiting guru with a finger on the pulse of all inside information relating to college bound basketballers. Good to know.

Comment

While I agree with the public perception part, Beard will get hired somewhere. WSU is not P5 and is just as likely candidate to be a school to take the risk as anywhere. We need someone who can coach, period. Beard can coach. We can require psychological assessments and therapy as part of the hiring process. At the end of the day, if he can create a winning program, kids will want to play for him. Structure the contract that gives us “outs” if he has any recurring issues. You have to at least give him an interview and do the proper due diligence.

Comment

He'll probably coach again, but after a "cooling off" period of a couple years

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              While I agree with the public perception part, Beard will get hired somewhere. WSU is not P5 and is just as likely candidate to be a school to take the risk as anywhere. We need someone who can coach, period. Beard can coach. We can require psychological assessments and therapy as part of the hiring process. At the end of the day, if he can create a winning program, kids will want to play for him. Structure the contract that gives us “outs” if he has any recurring issues. You have to at least give him an interview and do the proper due diligence.
                              He likely will coach at a school that didn't just recently fire a coach for abuse. That's the part that makes those other schools capable of doing everything you listed there and getting away with it. WSU not only fired a coach for abuse, but general perception is that the school tried to brush it under the rug for 5 years.

Comment

Is he likely to be the next coach here? Probably not.

Is there a better option to be the next coach here and could actually be attainable? Probably not.

I really don't care about public perception. Nothing I've seen shows he is definitely guilty of what he was accused of. It doesn't appear that there will be any follow through on the legal side of things. At that point, I'm fine with him being considered.

As to recruiting, trying to use an alleged and dropped (they'll be dropped if he's hired) allegation with no backing isn't going to be more important than his history of winning and developing players to move onto the professional ranks. It's not going to harm his recruiting abilities at all.

Outrage mob is allowed to dictate way too much and generally with nothing to really support it. Once we stop giving them power, we can stop hearing from them on every damn thing.

I support giving him an interview. If Saal doesn't get a good vibe or like what he hears, fine. But ignoring him completely due to the online outrage police would be dumb. Plus, any outrage will be temporary. The positives of having Beard here for a few years far outweigh the negatives of the online cunts
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X