No announcement yet.

We Want Beard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A key difference between Marshall abuse and Beard abuse is that Marshall's allegations were against players and were backed up by multiple players at both WSU and Winthrop. As far as I can tell, the Beard allegations were a one time incident, not that it makes it better, but Marshall's perception is much longer and deeper (more concerning).

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Is he likely to be the next coach here? Probably not.

Is there a better option to be the next coach here and could actually be attainable? Probably not.

I really don't care about public perception. Nothing I've seen shows he is definitely guilty of what he was accused of. It doesn't appear that there will be any follow through on the legal side of things. At that point, I'm fine with him being considered.

As to recruiting, trying to use an alleged and dropped (they'll be dropped if he's hired) allegation with no backing isn't going to be more important than his history of winning and developing players to move onto the professional ranks. It's not going to harm his recruiting abilities at all.

Outrage mob is allowed to dictate way too much and generally with nothing to really support it. Once we stop giving them power, we can stop hearing from them on every damn thing.

I support giving him an interview. If Saal doesn't get a good vibe or like what he hears, fine. But ignoring him completely due to the online outrage police would be dumb. Plus, any outrage will be temporary. The positives of having Beard here for a few years far outweigh the negatives of the online cunts
      I kinda agree as "public perception" doesn't seem to matter anymore. From the political climate to sports. It just doesn't seem to matter these days. Unless it's about transgender studies in Uraguay or something like that of course.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        A key difference between Marshall abuse and Beard abuse is that Marshall's allegations were against players and were backed up by multiple players at both WSU and Winthrop. As far as I can tell, the Beard allegations were a one time incident, not that it makes it better, but Marshall's perception is much longer and deeper (more concerning).
        Not taking a stand on this one way or the other, but I wanted to ask the following:

1) As far as we know, the Winthrop situation was one player who "traveled" from school to school at a time that was not commonplace. Was his situation supported by other players? Seem to think one may have.

2) As far as we know, no WSU players actually saw the "hit", but some chose to support Shaq's story. Again, as we do know here, Shaq was a "difficult" young man to handle, which we also know was a viewpoint at least some players did agree with that assessment.

3) Shaq made the decision to stay at WSU and even told a reporter interviewing him before the NCAA tourney his senior year that he had and Marshall had come to a satisfactory understanding of each other, at least said he had of Marshall and hoped Coach felt the same.

Comment

Dear God

Comment

Public would be outraged for about 5 minutes and then move on to the next thing to be upset about (a fact WSU failed to realize the first time and has put us in this situation)

Until proven otherwise, Beard is the best hire in terms of “BASKETBALL” (not considering anything else), which is exactly what this university needs.

Granted, the situation and facts can always change and develop, but a few blue-check-marks and talking-heads should not dictate the hiring process at all, if nothing comes of the legal process.
            Last edited by Shock Top; January 31, 2023, 11:13 AM.
            The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

It seems odd that in defense of someone accused of being an alcoholic you would mention having a couple of beers with him a few years ago. You made it sound like that was the one time you met him and decided he wasn't abusive or an alcoholic.

It doesn't matter what you think. It's what the rest of the nation thinks, and right now Beard would be an easy coach to recruit against

Facts don't matter. The only thing that matters is the perception and interpretation of info that people have. The info on Beard right now (right or wrong) is pretty bad.

As an example that truth doesn't matter, I present the 2020 Presidential election. Some of the people believe the election was done honestly and the the clear winner is in the White House. Others believe that votes were miscounted or changed and the wrong person is in the White House. It doesn't matter which opinion is correct, It only matters what people think is correct..

After losing one coach accused of abusing players, hiring another accused of abusing his girlfriend would give WSU a REALLY BAD reputation. It doesn't matter if Marshall punched a player or if Beard smacked his fiancee. Public opinion has no restriction on "innocent until proven guilty". Public opinion is typically biased toward guilty. Nancy Grace made a career out of that concept.
              Aargh! Good to read you again. Kind of. I usually love your manner and style, but in this case I have to go point by point.

in order:

1. I did not defend Beard. I don't know him. I stated some facts and opinions that I knew firsthand.

2. You are exactly right that the one time I met him, he seemed neither abusive or alcoholic. In fact, it was the opposite.

3. I said repeatedly with expression, implication, and joking that it doesn't matter what I think. Read the TLDR. Also, this is a message board.

4. It does not matter what the nation thinks. JFC. I don't care if you're a Fox News whack job or a CNN whack job, that stuff - especially circumstantial conjecture - matters for about a week nowadays. Do you know how many coaches do **** that is unacceptable in wider society? Did you ever play? Do you want to give back the 2013 Final Four, because I can pretty much guarantee Marshall was more "abusive" to that team than Beard was to his teams (sources: I can't say, but I believe them)

5. Could you elaborate on how much "the nation" thinks about Wichita, Kansas? I was born and raised there and live in a slightly larger city, but I don't think people these days can hold one topic in their head for more than a week. Especially one where the facts are inconclusive or nonexistent.

6. "The info on Beard is pretty bad". Okay, maybe. But if you are telling me that people born in the 1990s and 2000s - the parents of current high school recruits - are researching and agonizing over one news story with little or no information instead of who can get their kid to the next level... you gotta lotta wood to chop with me. Have at it though. After that you can reconcile it with your implication that mass media info is flawed (your 2020 election example).

7. You care a lot about what other people think. So do sheep. I thought we were wolves around here.

8. Would you rather have a "bad" reputation or a winning reputation if the "bad" can't be proved?

9. "Public opinion is biased toward guilty". Uhhhh... so is racism, sexism, feminism, and most other -isms. Let's fight the good fight.

10, Honest question - if it turned out in the near future with evidence that Beard was legitimately defending himself, would you still say that public opinion matters more than truth or would you wait for public opinion to turn? I'm no literary or political expert but I'm pretty sure that's how Orwell and others said we end up getting ruled by idiots. And hiring bad basketball coaches.

Anyway - I hate to come across as a Beard cheerleader (honestly, I would rather have Jans or Marshall back). But this nonsense about "optics" is stupid.

Hire the best man for the job. Period.

Like we should have done last time.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  Moving to Andover I believe

Comment

I understand a contract is pending on "Gene's" street in east Wichita.

Comment

The argument that the public will forget, especially if Austin doesn't pursue any serious charges, is changing my mind. The difference with Jans is that there was video circulating on the Net, and there was an alumnus making noise about it.

I still have some fear that if Beard's version is the way it happened, then he has a crazy GF that comes along with him. Having had one of those I'm not fond of them, especially in situations that make news reports.

If Beard is to be considered, I trust Saal will thoroughly vet him and won't make an offer unless he is satisfied with what he finds.

There will probably never be another public whisper about the incident other than "no charges filed" or "charges filed". Either of those would be a major factor in any consderation of Beard. We might not even hear anything if no charges are filed.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I’m curious why anyone thinks Beard would come here. He had a seven year, $35 million contract. The number’s being kicked around here are about 1/5th amount. He can afford to wait it out until he gets a much better deal than we could ever offer.

Comment

Because he’s tainted. Schools with money don’t have to take the risk, they can just hire and pay whoever they can get. Beard has to spend some time in purgatory and stay clean for a few years before he gets that kind of jack again.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                            I’m curious why anyone thinks Beard would come here. He had a seven year, $35 million contract. The number’s being kicked around here are about 1/5th amount. He can afford to wait it out until he gets a much better deal than we could ever offer.
                            What year of that contract was he in?

IF he were to file lawsuit to get paid that contract by proving he was let go without cause, where would that money come from?

IF he were to win it, after spending all that money on attorney fees (UT has some great lawyers who would pass the case around pro bono for years).

Coach Beard will coach somewhere if not next year by the year after, why not here?

Comment

Well, just speaking for myself, if I’m in my peak earnings years, and I’m at the top of my game and I’m recognized as one of the very best in my highly competitive field, I’m not taking a job for 20% of my current pay because of something like this. His ego would not allow that.

Comment

A. I don't think he's coming to WSU - don't get me wrong - he would be great

B. If he does consider coming to WSU - Saul could find the funding - Even @ 7 year $35m.

C. We aren't SMS

D. I know nothing -

Comment

Working...
                                X