Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
    Abdur-Rahim and Spradlin have not done enough at this point in time. My line in the sand is a winning percentage better than Isaac Browns. If they couldn't win 60% of their games in the conference they are in, why would they do better here at this point in their career? These are coaches with sparse postseason performances where over half their seasons have been under .500. Want to know how many losing seasons Marshall had at Winthrop?

0. He had zero.

That's the type of thing I want to see from an incoming coach. There are some names floating around with resumes that don't have the blemishes we see with those two. DeVries has never had a losing record and has a solid winning percentage. Kelsey's only losing season was his first, of 10. Richey has never had a losing season. Those are the names I think are getting some real play.
    I think both Abdur-Rahim and Spradlin could both take bigger jobs, but still one step away from taking a job like WSU.

I wouldnt worry about Abdur-Rahim's overall record too much. Kennesaw had never had a winning season at the D1 level prior to this year, so he had to start at step 1 in building up that program. Seeing the win count steadily progress from 1, 5, 13, 26 is impressive. He's from the area and seems very passionate about what he's building at Kennesaw. I'd love to see him stay with the program as they transition into C-USA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
      He’s had 1 winning season as head coach (45-73)

He might be a great coach but his record and 1 winning season out of 4 years is not impressive. First year he had only 1 win.
      if we didn’t give IB additional time, why would we give this guy 4 years?

He’s unproven and WSU is not that desperate to take a chance on an unproven coach. He needs seasoning.

Because 1-28 in Year 1 to 13-18 in Year 3 is the same as 16-6 in Year 1 to 17-15 in Year 3.

I think there are better options but some of you people are being obnoxious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
        He’s had 1 winning season as head coach (45-73)

He might be a great coach but his record and 1 winning season out of 4 years is not impressive. First year he had only 1 win.
        if we didn’t give IB additional time, why would we give this guy 4 years?

He’s unproven and WSU is not that desperate to take a chance on an unproven coach. He needs seasoning.

My comment was more based on his connections and what those connections might have to offer the search committee from a trust standpoint and the AD.

Few coaches win right out of the gate. He's done a nice job managing the roster and building the program. Do I think he's the best man for the job? No. I also (as most I'm sure) have little to no idea how he is managing the program from an academic, booster and fund raising standpoint (which is either 1 or 1A in importance).

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

My comment was more based on his connections and what those connections might have to offer the search committee from a trust standpoint and the AD.

Few coaches win right out of the gate. He's done a nice job managing the roster and building the program. Do I think he's the best man for the job? No. I also (as most I'm sure) have little to no idea how he is managing the program from an academic, booster and fund raising standpoint (which is either 1 or 1A in importance).
          Also, even a light amount of research would have shown that they haven’t even been a D-1 program for 20 seasons and started a football team in 2015. Hard to compete for resources when that’s happening.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

Some people might diasagree that WSU is on equal footing with TT. They are in the big 12 minus 2 plus 4 but we do have Wichita and they have Lubbock.
            Big 12-2-2+4.

You forgot the change to 10.

Comment

• Chance to take a look at Preston Spradlin on Sunday at 5:00 P.M. Central on ESPN+ against UAB if you have it. Still lean toward some of the names mentioned here like Sampson, Richey, and Kelsey.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Didn’t he coach Robby Benson?
                Help me

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Help me
                  The movie One on One. The actor who played Robby Benson’s coach was GD Spradlin.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

The movie One on One. The actor who played Robby Benson’s coach was GD Spradlin.
                    I knew the GD part

Comment

• All that matters is what they have done the last 3-4 years since NIL and the portal became silly. Anything else before that is not applicable in today’s world. Jay Wright wanted no part of redefining how he did his job while some coaches seem to have improved with the new era.

Spradlin actually fits that criteria.
                      Last edited by shoxlax; March 17, 2023, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• I know many are hung up on the value of nil deals relevant to the transfer portal. While I believe there is a value, I still think we would have better retention if the players had a coach that they felt could get them NBA ready. If Tulsa offered a 4 or 5* $100k nil, I believe Houston or Memphis could bring that same kid in with less than half that amount.

Comment

• I don’t see much Creighton in DeVries squad. Don’t remember them playing that way in 2021 First Four either. I’m thinking his background and personality may be a better fit for us than either Pat Kelsey or Bob Richey. His resume I think certainly trumps both of those guys.

Comment

• The meme potential of Abdur-Rahim is off the charts.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• What about a coach from a different sport? Gene Keady never played basketball at K-State and went on to coach Purdue for 25 years.

And recently I've been watching this documentary about an American football coach who has success as a soccer coach in England.

Just a thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                                Abdur-Rahim looked good. Intrigued by the suggestion of Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State as well.

The only coach I have eliminated is Paul Mills at Oral Roberts. Just not ready for prime time, IMO.
                                Hope McCollum gets an interview. Not saying he should get the job, but with his .811 winning %, four DII National Championships and 5 NABC DII National Coach of the Year Awards, Saal should talk to him.
                                "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                                X