Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Really don’t understand why Paul Mills isn’t on your lists. Great personable guy who can recruit his ass off.
    Reading about him, I could see where he is a good match as HC at ORU and he may be very happy where he's at. Any info if he's looking to move up?

I was impressed by ORU's tournament runs in 2021. While we basically were tanking our conference and NCAA tournaments, ORU was taking care of business. As a 4 seed, they won the Summit league tournament, then, as a 15 seed, knocked off 2 seed Ohio St, 7 seed Florida, before losing by 2 to a 3rd seed Arkansas.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Really don’t understand why Paul Mills isn’t on your lists. Great personable guy who can recruit his ass off.
      Should have thought of him. Good call. Currently 61 in KenPom, far better than the season they went to the Sweet Sixteen.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• There was a time in the not too distant past that we were paying top 10 salary.....just sayin

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post
          There was a time in the not too distant past that we were paying top 10 salary.....just sayin
          Hopefully next year we will be paying a combined top ten salary to three coaches . IB has got to go for the long term success of the program .

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post
            There was a time in the not too distant past that we were paying top 10 salary.....just sayin
            If you combine all the salaries we are paying right now between 2 coaches and 2 ADs ... we are probably still close to Top 10! :)

Comment

• 3G

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                3G
                This is a realistic and not insane option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

This is a realistic and not insane option.

Honestly, if there really isn't any money, we could potentially make this switch for the same money we are paying now and does anyone think we wouldn't be better off?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Honestly, if there really isn't any money, we could potentially make this switch for the same money we are paying now and does anyone think we wouldn't be better off?
                    Maybe, but there are a few things:

Marshall is being paid crazy money to have zero stress.

He won’t have assistants like Jans, Forbes, and Heiar to rely on.

If he comes back, he won’t be able to recruit well because of the reputation hit. You think opposing coaches wouldn’t tell recruits they’re competing with him for about the incidents (no matter how completely true they are)?

It’s impossible to recapture the magic of a past era in a different conference.

Marshall is a prideful guy and would not be someone who accepts WSU begging him.

So many factors would have him dead in the water. He can still motivate and coach, I’m sure. But it just won’t work and that’s not a slight to Marshall at all. He’s the greatest coach we’ve ever had and built a program that we all can identify with and be proud of.

Comment

• A dynamic, charismatic up and coming coach who has already experienced some D1 success seems like the ticket to me. Someone with a strong drive who is eager to prove themselves. Someone with an excellent basketball mind and an ability to relate to players but still hold them accountable.

That would be a hire I could get behind. I suspect the bigger boosters might feel the same way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

One of the (many) problems with trying to bring him back is that IF he came back it wouldn't be the same money we are paying him right now. We are currently paying him half of what he was owed. That is due to the separation agreement that was signed by both WSU and 3G. That separation agreement also states he will never be employed by WSU or represent WSU in any way. So the only way we can rehire him is by agreeing to void the separation agreement. I'd expect then that if WSU is crawling back to 3G to have him save the program just 3 years after firing him, he's going to want AT LEAST the amount he was paid before (so double what we are currently paying him). I could see him also wanting back pay for the contract that is now no longer voided by the separation agreement.

Another possible monetary/legal issue with this is that it opens WSU up for liability. If there was a NEW incident after rehire and Marshall did something to a player or student and that student/player wanted to sue, WSU would likely need to produce the investigation results from the last time in court. If something was in there and WSU knowingly rehired Marshall, then WSU could be potentially be liable for negligence. Don't think someone wouldn't be searching for an opportunity to make this happen.

Would the product on the court be better? Yes probably. The thing is .. the product on the court can be better with other options that don't have these issues mentioned above. 3G isn't our only option. He was a GREAT coach and did GREAT things for WSU, but WSU as a program is bigger than 3G.

Comment

• Yeah, yeah, now who is going to make the call? I’d be glad to but the AD may want the glory.

Comment

• The arena would be full again. The money would take care of itself. I don't see it happening

Comment

• I'd love for WSU basketball to recreate the magic that was once here with 3G, Ron, Fred, etc.

As much it pains me to say it though, that's not coming back. Probably ever. I think this program can regain it's footing and find some success....but not to the level that we found in the early 2010s.

NIL and the transfer portal have permanently altered the landscape of college basketball. Unless we have a hidden NIL brinks truck somewhere, most good talent from the non-P5 is going elsewhere given the chance. Sad, but true reality.

Tying this all back the head coach. I think we need a head coaching change but I don't think it's a magic pill either.

Comment

• As soon as we start sniffing the top 25 again, we'll have 10,506. Middle of the pack AAC, we'll be lucky to see half full.

Comment

Working...
                                X