Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

For the same reason that the Beakers won't find another Bill Self hire who will run roughshod over the Big 12. Those guys are unicorns.

To JV's credit, he did say "probably never."
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

What is a Marshall-like hire? And why can't we ever get one again?
      Marshall like hire: Fire and brimstone leader who energizes the fanbase and leads a group of blue collar guys to the Final Four in what should have been a Championship game. The college landscape has changed entirely too much. The college game evolved (and rather quickly I would say) into a pay for play system that the P5 Conferences had unfairly employed for years. Yeah, everybody can play now....big whoop. Doesn't mean the (supposed) stars of college basketball don't want to play in the spotlight at teams like Duke, KU, UCLA (spotlight conferences). Young players today are just so impatient, they can't see 2 or 3 years down the road where they could be. Look at the transfer portal, what are we looking at, maybe 1/5 or 1/6 of current Diivision 1 players entering the portal before all said and done?? Marshall had an incredible run, and it was done with (really) a lot of hard working down to earth guys. So much of that team-building-hard-working aspect of the game has gone by the wayside (maybe its just me).

Comment

• I went back and pulled a post from early November where I went through a lot of different possibilities. Mostly curious to see where I might stand on them now that we're really looking.

I'm still not sure we can pull Forbes from Wake, but it would be worth exploring when the time comes.
        Not going to happen

Heiar will have only had one year of D1 HC experience, but was also an assistant that was being groomed to lead and has had success at the JC level.
        Not going to happen

I'm still open to a guy like Adrian Griffin if he'd still be interested. I remember some don't like the idea because he hasn't been a HC, but he has years of NBA experience, and connections, and is considered a top NBA assistant and is from Wichita. I'd still be open to exploring that should the time come.
        I still love this idea. Really think AG could do great things here if he wanted.

We missed the Jans boat thanks to the moron that used to sit in the top spot of the athletic department. I almost said led, but he didn't lead anyone anywhere but down.
        I'd still be willing to throw everything we have at Jans, but it might not be enough. Plus, he just got there.

Below are some interesting names that appear to be on the hot seat at their current schools. Coaches getting fired seem to be an odd hire on the surface, but sometimes location matters, as does resources and expectations and conference affiliations. Just because I list them, doesn't mean I'm endorsing them. They're just names that are recognized.

Jeff Capel (Pitt) - He's had some success in the past, though he's also had his share of struggles.
        Not at the top of my list but we could do worse if he were available. I think he remains at Pitt for now.

Bobby Hurley (Arizona St) - Was killing it at Buffalo but has struggled with ASU. Definitely has a name the average fan would probably recognize and some fire. Does he need to be on the east coast to succeed?
        I'd take a shot at Bobby if he were available, which I don't believe he is expected to be.

Kevin Keatts (NC State) - Was once viewed as a can't miss but has struggled at NC State, though a lot of people struggle there.
        I'd pass.

Jerod Haase (Stanford) - Another guy that was hot at a lower level and seemed to be the next big thing, but he's run into some struggles lately. KU connections are a negative.
        He's never really done much at Stanford, but did well at whichever Florida school he was at. Still wouldn't be at the top of my list even if he weren't returning for another year at Stanford

Mark Fox (Cal) - Was once a name that I believe people floated around here should we lose Marshall years ago. Went to Georgia and had mixed levels of success and failure and hasn't done much at Cal.
        If he were a bit of a fall back option, we could do worse. Though his putrid run at Cal raises some red flags.

Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech) - Another one of those guys who was seen as the next big thing and was seen as a major recruiter, but has struggled at Tech.
        Eh. We could do worse. We could definitely do better. Maybe I should have made this orange to put it between yellow and red.

Mike Brey (Notre Dame) - His seat may not be as hot as some others, but it seems like his time at ND may be nearing the end. The guy has had some great success there though. Maybe a fresh start is needed.
        I'd have gladly taken a shot at Brey. The last few years were rough at Notre Dame but sometimes you need a change of scenery and this guy can both recruit and coach. I think he could have done well here.

Brad Brownell (Clemson) - Another one of those guys that was considered a great hire when it was made, but he's kind of been like Fox at Georgia. Up and down with nothing really spectacular. Maybe he needs a true basketball school to revive his career.
        Another orange candidate. I just don't have much to say about him.

Then we have some potential younger options that are considered up and coming types.

Bob Richey (Furman) - He has a history on this board.
        No. I don't see his style transitioning to and working in Wichita.

Andy Toole (Robert Morris) - Strong northeastern ties but is seen as a guy ready to make that step to a higher level.
        Not the right fit for Wichita

Jordan Mincy (Jacksonville) - Was previously an assistant at Florida. Has been an assistant at a lot of schools in the southeast.
        Probably not actually ready for a job like Wichita, but still an intriguing prospect.

Luke Murray (UConn) - Currently an assistant at UConn and has previously worked under Sean Miller and Chris Mack. Said to be a good recruiter.
        Another guy that I'm not sold on but we could do worse. He's been in some good programs and under some good coaches.

Brian Michaelson (Gonzaga) - He's been an assistant with Few for nearly a decade and has been said to be a key recruiter.
        I still don't know enough about him. Connections to Few are a positive, but I simply don't know enough to have a good feel if he can be the guy or not.

Ulric Maligi (Kansas State) - Associate HC at KSU and has spent years recruiting Texas for aTm, SMU, Tech and SFA. Said to be a tremendous leader.
        I'd forgotten about this guy. But he has a lot of good connections and I've seen some positive things. Is the next Tang currently coaching under Tang?

Jamion Christian (Unemployed) - Has been a head coach since he was 29 at Mount St. Mary's, Siena and George Washington, where he was let go after last season. He was also an assistant for Shaka when they beat us in the tournament.
        This guy really needs to lead another lower to mid level program and get his mojo back.

Richie Riley (South Alabama) - He may be the most successful coach USA has ever had.
        Another guy that I'm not entirely sure if he's ready or not. But he could intrigue me a bit.

Darris Nichols (Radford) - Was an assistant under Mike White at both Louisiana Tech and Florida before landing the head job at Radford. Too soon to see how he does as the head guy, but was the most successful first year coach Radford has seen in nearly 30 years. Not sure that says much about Radford.
        Needs more seasoning.

Jeremy Ballard (FIU) - Strong ties to the SE, he's found some success at a school not known for it.
        Needs to do more at FIU, but he may be building a little something there.

Austin Claunch (Nicholls State) - Was an assistant under Richie Riley before Riley left for USA. Claunch was promoted and has had some success.
        Another guy that maybe should be orange. I don't think he's quite ready but he shows promise.

Joel Justus (Arizona St) - Currently an assistant to Hurley, he spent a number of years as an assistant at Kentucky where he undoubtedly knows Saal.
        I simply don't know enough about him. I think I put him on here mostly because he probably knows Saal.

Christian Webster (Virginia Tech) - Was an assistant to Buzz Williams and has remained there under Mike Young. Also a Harvard grad and helped lead them as a player to their first NCAA appearance in over 60 years.
        Not at the top of my list but is one I'd be open to considering if things went that way.

Joe Krabbenhoft (Wisconsin) - Been an assistant with Wisconsin since '16. Alleged to be an important piece in player development with the Badgers as well as a key recruiter.
        I'm not sure he's ready to be a HC just yet.

Mike Morrell (UNC Asheville) - Longtime assistant to Shaka and seen as a high level recruiter. Has seen some success in his short time at Asheville.
        He's done a pretty decent job in Asheville. Another one of those guys that could be a bit of a flyer, but could work out.

Ali Farokhmanesh (Colorado St) - We know who he is. He's a young fiery assistant with the Rams.
        He gets consideration just for knocking KU out of the tournament with an absolute dagger. Has a good mind for the game but I know little about his coaching.

Bryan Mullins (SIU) - Another name we know and I think most of us respect. Was seen as an important piece to what Moser did at Loyola. Hasn't been great at SIU, but that's a school with major funding issues and has struggled for some time now. He is a fiery, hard nosed competitor which could play here.
        I respect the hell out of Mullins and I think he will be a good coach. I just don't think it here or now.

Jai Lucas (Kentucky) - Spent some time as an assistant at Texas. Former Burger Boy. Highly thought of.
        A name that has recently popped up from others. Definitely one of those assistants that could be exciting if he were to take over.

I'm done looking at names and lists that pop up about coaching for now. A few of these I may look more into later. Especially the head coaches.

I know some are not too keen on hiring assistants, but as I've said before, some are groomed for head jobs and are seen as head coaches and some are just really good assistants.
        Obviously names like Sampson and Kelsey, McCasland and Pasternack have been added to my list over the last few months and I'd be fairly happy with either of them as well.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• We could hire Griffin, then when FVV retires, you bring him on staff. Groom him while AG has the helm. When AG retires, FVV steps in. Done. Coaching situation set for 30 years, right? Right. Now, I just need to hit Mega Millions so I can be a bigger voice to make that happen.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I went back and pulled a post from early November where I went through a lot of different possibilities. Mostly curious to see where I might stand on them now that we're really looking.

Obviously names like Sampson and Kelsey, McCasland and Pasternack have been added to my list over the last few months and I'd be fairly happy with either of them as well.
            Great list...well thought out...good food for thought...

Comment

• I don't want to get on another bandwagon. Just when I thought things were settling down Tad Boyle shows up. Might be that he is fearing what is going to happen to the PAC12 and wanting to go to a more stable situation. Not sure I want to jump on with him but I am willing to listen to pros and cons. I have always liked the idea of Griffin but Sampson is still my #1. That is until the next name starts showing on the horizon.

Comment

• could be nothing but....
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by Regul8te View Post

I’ve spent the last hour trying to decipher this code to no avail. Either we are really just supposed to breathe or I’m no Robert Langdon.

Just an hour? I am a little....I don't know..........just...disappoinTed, I guess....

Comment

• Quick search of coaches who still wear a suit....

Griffin jumps to the front of my wish list. Plus he's a former East High guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Just an hour? I am a little....I don't know..........just...disappoinTed, I guess....
                      Ted...as in Ted Lasso?

Lasso...cowboy

Cowboy...former Oklahoma St. player

We're hiring Gottlieb?

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                        It's only stopping in DSM for an hour, then on to Kalamazoo, then Oakland.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Griffin isn't an awful idea either. I think we would land some lunkers, but could he get them to gel?
                          I'd be less worried about an coach with NBA experience managing unruly players. It's a much bigger portion of their job at that level, especially because a lot of the responsibilities of a collegiate coach fall to the front office in the NBA. I'd expect an NBA coach to be much more specialized at Xs and Os and juggling stars, since that is pretty much what they are tasked to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

It's only stopping in DSM for an hour, then on to Kalamazoo, then Oakland.
                            So Greg Kampe is the next coach of WSU
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Youth team eh? Do you have trouble turning door handles with ease?
                              No, and no trouble scoring from the baseline inbound, either.

Comment

haha… Nostradamus in his comfort zone again.

Comment

Working...
                                X