Fire the coaching staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

I've said this same thing at least twice on this board. Pierre did look to be more involved with the game plan at the KSU game than I have noticed anyone else at any other game.
    But is he a winner?

I believe I’ve posted this after BP was hired. Greg Heiar comes in a year or two later and wins the Juco Championship. He definitely has the credentials as a recruiter, but…

“When asked about his coaching style after the NWF State hire, Pierre said "it's a winning style."

“But last year the Raiders went winless in Panhandle play, snapping five straight league crowns, and failed to qualify for the Region VIII tournament amid a 12-16 campaign.”

But not even two years at the helm, following a 1-16 record in the Panhandle Conference and a 16-22 mark overall, the lauded D-1 recruiter has resigned effective immediately due to "family medical reasons."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• image_9038.jpg

Maybe not the next coach, but next next coach perhaps..? FVV scouting a Raptors 905 game with HC Nick Nurse this morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
        image_9038.jpg

Maybe not the next coach, but next next coach perhaps..? FVV scouting a Raptors 905 game with HC Nick Nurse this morning.
        I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but in the case that you're not...

I hear that from some Shocker fans. FVV is an incredible player, and his influence on this program is large (although it could be MUCH larger and I pray that he realizes that).

He would not be a good head coach. Rarely are great players good coaches or GMs. That's nothing against him, but so many of his instincts and his thought processes are engrained in him, and nearly impossible to instill in another person from him unless we're talking about his son. Those instincts made him an NBA All-Star, but they cannot be transferred by osmosis to those he coaches, although that would be awesome. The things that he was forced to do as a PG from Rockford and having his upbringing were not experiences that another Shocker PG would have, and I hope we never try that.

That said, I want him back at every WSU Basketball Alumni function he can attend as that is such a boon for this program, university, and community. I've said it before; I hope he puts his money where his mouth is.

Who would good head coaches be? Well, we already know. The Jans, the Heiars, the Forbes, etc...maybe it's one of those guys? But there are also likely a few guys lurking in the shadows who can recruit and also scout the hell out of opponents.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Rarely, yes. Not never.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I hear that from some Shocker fans. FVV is an incredible player, and his influence on this program is large (although it could be MUCH larger and I pray that he realizes that).

He would not be a good head coach. Rarely are great players good coaches or GMs. That's nothing against him, but so many of his instincts and his thought processes are engrained in him, and nearly impossible to instill in another person from him unless we're talking about his son. Those instincts made him an NBA All-Star, but they cannot be transferred by osmosis to those he coaches, although that would be awesome. The things that he was forced to do as a PG from Rockford and having his upbringing were not experiences that another Shocker PG would have, and I hope we never try that.

That said, I want him back at every WSU Basketball Alumni function he can attend as that is such a boon for this program, university, and community. I've said it before; I hope he puts his money where his mouth is.

Who would good head coaches be? Well, we already know. The Jans, the Heiars, the Forbes, etc...maybe it's one of those guys? But there are also likely a few guys lurking in the shadows who can recruit and also scout the hell out of opponents.
            I expect FVV to focus most if not all of his money towards Rockford and not WSU .. would also not be surprised if he does coach that he coaches a HS there instead of getting into the college game.

Money wise wont be a problem for him.

Comment

• Why an NBA All-star would want to deal with dumbass parents, politics, lies, cheating and/or reputation stress is beyond me. I hope for FVV's sake that he never, ever coaches college or pro.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• think we can probably leave Heiar off of the potential next coach list moving forward. Not a good look for the NMSU program.
                Experts say coaches "didn't cooperate" with police investigation

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post
                  think we can probably leave Heiar off of the potential next coach list moving forward. Not a good look for the NMSU program.
                  I mean, maybe. But maybe not.

From the article:

“The agent made it very clear he wanted to speak to these three basketball players who look like they helped Michael get rid of the weapon and this tablet,” White said. “Your responsibility (as a coach) is to say, 'Hey, you three guys, law enforcement has identified you as being in some yellow Camaro. Now get your butt downstairs and do what you got to do.'”
                  Ummm, no. Your responsibility as a coach isn't to shove your players in front of the police or do the police's job for them.

Heiar is quoted in the article as saying he wanted to check with his athletic department and see if it wanted to retain an attorney for the players before they spoke to the police. That's a smart move.
                  The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

I mean, maybe. But maybe not.

From the article:

Ummm, no. Your responsibility as a coach isn't to shove your players in front of the police or do the police's job for them.

Heiar is quoted in the article as saying he wanted to check with his athletic department and see if it wanted to retain an attorney for the players before they spoke to the police. That's a smart move.
                    Haha, we both dialed into the exact same part of the article. I quoted the same thing with the same opinion in a different thread.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Hell, at worst it makes Greg more affordable.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

It was a combination of facetiousness and wishful thinking. While FVV is probably not interested, or well-suited, to be HC at WSU I do agree that the program could really benefit from having him more involved as an alumni. On that note, it would be nice to see Landry Shamet come back every once in a while too...

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

It was a combination of facetiousness and wishful thinking. While FVV is probably not interested, or well-suited, to be HC at WSU I do agree that the program could really benefit from having him more involved as an alumni. On that note, it would be nice to see Landry Shamet come back every once in a while too...
                          Very true.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Ron is certainly engaged in the program, which makes sense because he is living here now.

However doesn’t it seem like FVV and Landry are more disengaged than your average high-profile player?

Maybe it just seems that way and I’m wrong. But aside from coming back for AfterShocks like 1.5 years ago I swear I haven’t heard a word about Wichita State from either one of them. Nothing on social media. Just morning period.

Probably that’s proof of the state the program is in, but it seems to me there’s something Like n there causing sour grapes. Someone needs to try to repair those relationships if they were fractured for whatever reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                              Ron is certainly engaged in the program, which makes sense because he is living here now.

However doesn’t it seem like FVV and Landry are more disengaged than your average high-profile player?

Maybe it just seems that way and I’m wrong. But aside from coming back for AfterShocks like 1.5 years ago I swear I haven’t heard a word about Wichita State from either one of them. Nothing on social media. Just morning period.

Probably that’s proof of the state the program is in, but it seems to me there’s something Like n there causing sour grapes. Someone needs to try to repair those relationships if they were fractured for whatever reason.
                              FVV retweeted some WSU stuff last year. I never really got the impression that Landry was proud of being a Shocker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Haha, we both dialed into the exact same part of the article. I quoted the same thing with the same opinion in a different thread.
                                advice given to me by a retired detective...."never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever talk to the cops without an counsel present"

Comment

Working...
                                X