Fire the coaching staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Maybe Turg would work for free for a year.
    You kid, but for real….
    The Assman

Comment

• Ugh
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Isaac Brown is here till the money makes sense to throw him out. He will not be missed. Our team is uncoached. I don't mean "he doesn't coach them much", I mean that we seem to actively be losing fundamentals. Players get worse the longer they play under Isaac Brown.

The real question isn't what happens next, but what happens after. It will be extremely difficult to build a program from the bottom of a dying conference in the transfer era. People used to care for bad teams because they were still teams.

Comment

• The dark, soul sucking days of this program will come to an end. Have faith that the future is still bright an our days of collecting the tattered souls of our opponents are not done. They are just on hiatus for now.
          The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            It's clear that not much thought went into IB's contract. Wonder how the big donors that didn't have GM's back feel now? They should collectively pony up and cover both contracts. There is one person sleeping well with a smile on his face and that is GM.
            I really don’t think he would want to see what he built turn to this.

Comment

• I don't think Saal has any option now. Retaining IB is a disaster and should not be an option. The athletic department will be bleeding red ink for years, but IB has to go at the end of the season.

That takes care of the first problem. Then the next problem is to figure out how to deal with the financial hole the athletic department would be in.

If the coaching situation isn't dealt with immediately, ticket sales will continue on a downward trend, as will donor dollars. The current financial mess just gets worse and worse. Retaining IB or replacing him both result in dire financial consequences for the athletic department. Changing coaches can put the athletic department on a path to solve the problem. Retaining IB cannot.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Argh. 100 % correct.

Comment

• Make sure I have this right. We have (as been stated by several) the most athletic team, top to bottom, we have had in a long time.

Yet, IB continues to play zone defense on made shots (again very predictable). This gives up, among other things, wide open, catch and shoot three’s. Teams are picking the zone apart.

I wonder what our defense rating is playing zone vs. man to man. Sure seems like m-t-m has been better.

Offense is obviously a disaster show. But to me, it seems they are overall more active in the game when they play m-t-m defense.
                  Last edited by BAShocker; January 2, 2023, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    I don't think Saal has any option now. Retaining IB is a disaster and should not be an option. The athletic department will be bleeding red ink for years, but IB has to go at the end of the season.

That takes care of the first problem. Then the next problem is to figure out how to deal with the financial hole the athletic department would be in.

If the coaching situation isn't dealt with immediately, ticket sales will continue on a downward trend, as will donor dollars. The current financial mess just gets worse and worse. Retaining IB or replacing him both result in dire financial consequences for the athletic department. Changing coaches can put the athletic department on a path to solve the problem. Retaining IB cannot.
                    To add, I'm sure there are many good mid-major coaches out there who would happily take $1 million a year to coach at Wichita State. The school doesn't need to break the bank to get a solid replacement for IB. Pat Kelsey at Charleston, for example, will make $600,000 this season. If WSU were to start his salary at 1$ million with annual increases I'm sure he'd be willing to come.

If they want to go after a more expensive coach they could also backload the contract so that they pay them more once GM and IB's buyouts come off the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

To add, I'm sure there are many good mid-major coaches out there who would happily take $1 million a year to coach at Wichita State. The school doesn't need to break the bank to get a solid replacement for IB. Pat Kelsey at Charleston, for example, will make $600,000 this season. If WSU were to start his salary at 1$ million with annual increases I'm sure he'd be willing to come.

If they want to go after a more expensive coach they could also backload the contract so that they pay them more once GM and IB's buyouts come off the books.
                      I’d be open to a contract like that, and it’s most likely accomplishable if Saal is any good at his job. As I think about it more and more, I feel like Griffin would be a good match for this era and would fit a minimal pay backloaded contract.

Comment

• The last thing we need is another million dollar + 5 year deal with high buyouts. Start around $700k with loads of incentives built in, otherwise we could be back where we are now. This job is a rebuild now and will take 3-4 years to turn around. Not only do they have to recruit and re-recruit our own players every year, they gotta win and get people back into the arena. It’s not the job it was when IB took over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          The last thing we need is another million dollar + 5 year deal with high buyouts. Start around $700k with loads of incentives built in, otherwise we could be back where we are now. This job is a rebuild now and will take 3-4 years to turn around. Not only do they have to recruit and re-recruit our own players every year, they gotta win and get people back into the arena. It’s not the job it was when IB took over.
                          This
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Linda Hargrove?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              The last thing we need is another million dollar + 5 year deal with high buyouts. Start around $700k with loads of incentives built in, otherwise we could be back where we are now. This job is a rebuild now and will take 3-4 years to turn around. Not only do they have to recruit and re-recruit our own players every year, they gotta win and get people back into the arena. It’s not the job it was when IB took over.
                              Unfortunately no coach worth looking at will take the job without at least a four to five year deal with some amount of guaranteed money. Incentives or not. I had no problem naming IB coach in the situation we were in. But the real problem was the 5 year guaranteed deal. Just a bad contract from Day One. I bet IB would have taken a 3 year deal at 2/3 $$ of the contract that was signed. It will be a rebuild job for sure when the post IB era starts. Whenever that will be.

Comment

• Desperate times call for desperate measures.

why don’t you go ask the people who chunk out the bucks who they want to coach the team. Someone with guaranteed competence.

Comment

Working...
                                X