Game Day Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take from an aging, angry boomer:

1. Staff at the parking lot usually numbers close to 10 and stands around literally blocking traffic. The 2 guys last night gave me a nice friendly wave from the sidewalk. Boom, straight to my spot with no slow down. Plus

1A. Did I hear cadence from the band outside the arena as I was walking up? For this guy, SERIOUS plus. Love that effort.

2. No anti-terrorist warnings from the event staff as I went through the chicken detectors. I realize the crowd was small, but there seem to be an effort to get people through fast. Plus

3. Multiple ticket scanners that worked. Plus

4. Ability to get an adult beverage (kind of) quickly on the way to my seat. Plus

5. Seat Nazis nowhere to be found or clogging the entrances. Plus

6. Anthem. Plus

7. Ease of transferring tickets to others via Google Wallet. Plus

8. Someone working the sound up and down throughout the game. Plus (not perfect but trying)

9. DJ Spinning in the student section. Not my cup of tea, but clearly some like it. Neutral (but again, trying and everything can't be for me)

10. Sharp dressed guy acting like Todd from MVC Tourney in St Louis. Again, not my cup of tea, but some seem to like it. And it kept many engaged.

11. Music during timeouts. Again, maybe not always my first choices, but I thought they did a good job. I would prefer a little more band and a little less music, but again, that's my personal preference.

12. Student section. BIGLY props to the engagement of the students. Would like a few more...BUT that works for me right now, a lot. Slight deduction for one of the Fear the Wheat banners being upside down. But they were LOUD, engaged, working on some chants like CP3, the Arkansas kid being a baby. I am really, really impressed 2 games in with the game the students are bringing. Kevin has to have some credit I'm guessing there, but still, well done students. Keep it up.

I've said it many times....I appreciate the effort, even if some things don't work. Kevin is definitely following through on his promises to try things and see what sticks. No complaints from me.

Late addition: WIFI works great (after a decade). I realize several of my pluses could be tied to a smaller crowd, but still, good stuff.

Lastly, sorority at halftime. Applaud the effort, but didn't hear why...assuming some kind of fund raiser, but does anyone know? I'm not tight with the Alpha Phis these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I'm not tight with the Alpha Phis these days.
      There is a joke here, but alas I will refrain and let my better judgment prevail...

Comment

My take from an aging, angry boomer:

1. Staff at the parking lot usually numbers close to 10 and stands around literally blocking traffic. The 2 guys last night gave me a nice friendly wave from the sidewalk. Boom, straight to my spot with no slow down. Plus

1A. Did I hear cadence from the band outside the arena as I was walking up? For this guy, SERIOUS plus. Love that effort.

2. No anti-terrorist warnings from the event staff as I went through the chicken detectors. I realize the crowd was small, but there seem to be an effort to get people through fast. Plus

3. Multiple ticket scanners that worked. Plus

4. Ability to get an adult beverage (kind of) quickly on the way to my seat. Plus

5. Seat Nazis nowhere to be found or clogging the entrances. Plus

6. Anthem. Plus

7. Ease of transferring tickets to others via Google Wallet. Plus

8. Someone working the sound up and down throughout the game. Plus (not perfect but trying)

9. DJ Spinning in the student section. Not my cup of tea, but clearly some like it. Neutral (but again, trying and everything can't be for me)

10. Sharp dressed guy acting like Todd from MVC Tourney in St Louis. Again, not my cup of tea, but some seem to like it. And it kept many engaged.

11. Music during timeouts. Again, maybe not always my first choices, but I thought they did a good job. I would prefer a little more band and a little less music, but again, that's my personal preference.

12. Student section. BIGLY props to the engagement of the students. Would like a few more...BUT that works for me right now, a lot. Slight deduction for one of the Fear the Wheat banners being upside down. But they were LOUD, engaged, working on some chants like CP3, the Arkansas kid being a baby. I am really, really impressed 2 games in with the game the students are bringing. Kevin has to have some credit I'm guessing there, but still, well done students. Keep it up.

I've said it many times....I appreciate the effort, even if some things don't work. Kevin is definitely following through on his promises to try things and see what sticks. No complaints from me.

Late addition: WIFI works great (after a decade). I realize several of my pluses could be tied to a smaller crowd, but still, good stuff.

Lastly, sorority at halftime. Applaud the effort, but didn't hear why...assuming some kind of fund raiser, but does anyone know? I'm not tight with the Alpha Phis these days.
        Two bolded parts .. The drum line was outside the main entrance playing when i came in.

The halftime was some sort of Charity thing but didn't catch what for. Was probably about double the length that was needed but the Sorority girls in the student section loved it and were cheering it on. If it takes things like that to help get the student sections packed .. i'm all for it. The student section banter was a lot of fun. Will be really fun during the closer/tough games.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

There is a joke here, but alas I will refrain and let my better judgment prevail...
          Ross and I didn't have any 'fleas' back in our day at the U. Thought they were a nice-looking bunch of young women (hope that's ok to say?).
          They definitely weren't the "Omega-Mu's"...

Turn it up!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• APhi won Songfest on Sunday night which apparently qualified them to perform their show at halftime. It probably got an extra 50 girls to the game on a Monday night when the chapters have meetings so that was a plus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Two bolded parts .. The drum line was outside the main entrance playing when i came in.

The halftime was some sort of Charity thing but didn't catch what for. Was probably about double the length that was needed but the Sorority girls in the student section loved it and were cheering it on. If it takes things like that to help get the student sections packed .. i'm all for it. The student section banter was a lot of fun. Will be really fun during the closer/tough games.
              Hundo P. Anything to get the students there is good by me. Well done!

Comment

• I thought all the changes have been very solid.

It would be appreciated more with a larger crowd as well, where even more people would be engaged.

Saal needs to ignore the complaints about music, because we don’t need them to start playing Perry Como or Hank Williams Sr. on the ones and twos ;)!

(All jokes aside, I thinking blending in some more classic rock, 80s/90s music, and EDM would be a good touch, but modern stuff with a lot of bass is what’s going to get played a lot too, because it’ll keep the younger/newer crowd engaged. They will find a healthy balance)

Looking forward to when Jillian does her next game so we can hear people throw a kiddie tantrum over her voice!!
                The Assman

Comment

• Pretty sure one of the first things he did upon classes resuming this fall was to speak to the Greeks. They can do so much to organize and drive the student section.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• An AD that does his job .. An amazing concept

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                      I thought all the changes have been very solid.

It would be appreciated more with a larger crowd as well, where even more people would be engaged.

Saal needs to ignore the complaints about music, because we don’t need them to start playing Perry Como or Hank Williams Sr. on the ones and twos ;)!

(All jokes aside, I thinking blending in some more classic rock, 80s/90s music, and EDM would be a good touch, but modern stuff with a lot of bass is what’s going to get played a lot too, because it’ll keep the younger/newer crowd engaged. They will find a healthy balance)

Looking forward to when Jillian does her next game so we can hear people throw a kiddie tantrum over her voice!!
                      You got a problem with Perry Como? Them's fightin' words.

My better half said, and I quote, "at least they didn't have screamer girl here tonight. I'll give them that."

Me: She's in line for next game.

Better Half: I'm not going then.

Comment

My better half said, and I quote, "at least they didn't have screamer girl here tonight. I'll give them that."

Haters gonna hate...

Comment

The next bush that Mrs. Doc beats around will be the first, so...

78-65

Comment

Hundo P. Anything to get the students there is good by me. Well done!
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I have a major request. Can we get those big pump jugs of mustard and ketchup? And a bowl-thing with relish? Those tiny little packets of relish and mustard suck big green donkey johnsons.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                                I have a major request. Can we get those big pump jugs of mustard and ketchup? And a bowl-thing with relish? Those tiny little packets of relish and mustard suck big green donkey johnsons.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X