Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unfortunately, most online "journalists" these days think they can use other online journalists as sources.

Comment

• Stanford and Cal can ‘die on the vine,’ says ACC head coach

Conference realignment has slowed of late, following the recent exodus of teams from the Pac-12 to the Big Ten (Oregon and Washington) and Big 12 (Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah), but there continues to be discourse surrounding the remaining four Pac-12 schools — Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State. Both Oregon State and Washington State’s athletic directors, Scott Barnes and Pat Chun, have spoken recently about attempting to rebuild the conference, with Barnes telling The Athletic, “I do emphatically believe that four of us, as foundational members, can build something back that is real, tangible, and sets the course for the future.”

Count North Carolina women’s soccer coach Anson Dorrance among those who don’t believe the ACC should add Stanford or Cal.

As reported by The Messenger on Tuesday, Dorrance believes the Cardinal and Bears would be the only teams to benefit from their joining the ACC, expecting both Stanford and Cal to get a significant recruiting bump, to say nothing of a strenuous travel schedule all teams would experience.

“If you put those two schools in the ACC, it’s going to be so easy for them to recruit nationally. So it will just benefit them in my opinion, not us,” Dorrance said. “There’s no way I want to share the glory of our conference with two schools that could do a very good job recruiting against us.”

He continued: “So basically I want Cal and Stanford die on the vine. I look forward to seeing Stanford, which is a really difficult school to recruit against, I would look forward to them basically having it so difficult to recruit the elite soccer player, and then we would be in the position to gain those kids and put the ACC in an even stronger position.”

Not sure that the opinion of a women's soccer coach carries much weight. Seems to be a bit fearful of Standford in particular.

An observation in that article that perhaps does carry a bit more weight and is more to the point was:

The addition of Stanford and Cal to the ACC has been viewed by many as a non-starter, with Neal Pilson, former CBS Sports president, telling On3 Sports, “I don’t think either or both Cal and Stanford add sufficient value to an ACC TV package to induce the conference or ESPN to add them to the agreement. And the travel costs to the two schools for football, basketball and multiple Olympic sports would be prohibitive.”

Comment

• Travel costs are so out of whack (with services in many cases way down over the last decade). Oklahoma travels to Cincy for the only time in the B12 before they depart for the SEC. Hotel rooms are $350-$550 for rooms that would be $89-$150 the other 364 days of the year. Try to get a room in Lubbock on a football weekend for less than $250. I've been to a lot of cool places throughout this great country and I love college sports...but I ain't payin' 5 hunsky a night for mid game in Cincy, or Lubbock or any other damned place. And it's not just football. These places gouge all college related travel. For years (they may still do this) WSU tennis would AirBNB and the kids that didn't pull a bed took air mattresses. Imagine that set up after a 1000+ mile drive, for a conference match.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Travel costs are so out of whack (with services in many cases way down over the last decade). Oklahoma travels to Cincy for the only time in the B12 before they depart for the SEC. Hotel rooms are $350-$550 for rooms that would be $89-$150 the other 364 days of the year. Try to get a room in Lubbock on a football weekend for less than $250. I've been to a lot of cool places throughout this great country and I love college sports...but I ain't payin' 5 hunsky a night for mid game in Cincy, or Lubbock or any other damned place. And it's not just football. These places gouge all college related travel. For years (they may still do this) WSU tennis would AirBNB and the kids that didn't pull a bed took air mattresses. Imagine that set up after a 1000+ mile drive, for a conference match.
          I'm sure the schools have pre-negotiated rates with the various hotel chains so they don't get caught up in the price gouging

Comment

• When WSU first joined the AAC I was told by FADDB that it cost $80,000 to fly the men’s basketball team to a game at Temple or one of the Florida schools. I am sure that was a chartered flight per Marshall’s contract. Today I am guessing those cost are over $100K. DB didn’t say if those cost included hotels and meals or just air travel.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
              When WSU first joined the AAC I was told by FADDB that it cost $80,000 to fly the men’s basketball team to a game at Temple or one of the Florida schools. I am sure that was a chartered flight per Marshall’s contract. Today I am guessing those cost are over $100K. DB didn’t say if those cost included hotels and meals or just air travel.
              If it was just air travel ... at 1000 a person, you would need 80 people going to hit 80k. So i'm going to say its everything or it was just BS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If it was just air travel ... at 1000 a person, you would need 80 people going to hit 80k. So i'm going to say its everything or it was just BS.
                pilot, fuel, hanger fees, etc all add up for charter flights.

Comment

• Sounds like Stanford/Cal/SMU to the ACC is close to happening again

Comment

Sounds like Stanford/Cal/SMU to the ACC is close to happening again
                    That's okay. They will just raise tuition to cover the dramatic rise in expenses, and the federal government will happily dish out loans to the kids to cover those increases. No problem!
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• More thoughts later, but it just doesn't seem like WSU's lack of football really makes any difference. Would the Big12, PAC4, etc. take WSU with football? NO. Gary Parrish and Norlander were talking about WSU on their most recent podcast. Starts around the 1 hour mark. I will post the link later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

That's okay. They will just raise tuition to cover the dramatic rise in expenses, and the federal government will happily dish out loans to the kids to cover those increases. No problem!
                        Literally all of this is one giant “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should” instead of prolonging the inevitable, all those California schools just need to cancel their entire athletic departments, except for maybe ping pong

Comment

Sounds like Stanford/Cal/SMU to the ACC is close to happening again
                          If it does, which I personally don’t get it, I would imagine to get the AAC holdouts to vote yes, it would be for football and possibly basketball sports only.

Stanford and Cal are realizing that no one outside of Standford and Cal really care much about them, imo.

Comment

• August 23

*ESPN's Pete Thamel reports the ACC is once again considering and meeting to discuss the potential additions of California, Stanford, and SMU to the conference. According to Thamel's reporting, the Golden Bears and Cardinal would take a reduced share of revenue, while the Mustangs would not take any broadcast payouts for seven years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                              More thoughts later, but it just doesn't seem like WSU's lack of football really makes any difference. Would the Big12, PAC4, etc. take WSU with football? NO. Gary Parrish and Norlander were talking about WSU on their most recent podcast. Starts around the 1 hour mark. I will post the link later.
                              TL;DL recap?
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post

If it does, which I personally don’t get it, I would imagine to get the AAC holdouts to vote yes, it would be for football and possibly basketball sports only.

Stanford and Cal are realizing that no one outside of Standford and Cal really care much about them, imo.
                                I don't believe the NCAA would allow a Football and basketball only arrangement.

Comment

Working...
                                X