Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Because Pan American Conference just works.
    OK. I'm buying it.

Comment

• American Pie Conference? (I know it isn't the PAC so maybe Pie American Conference) Just being silly!

If it gets us a better conference situation, I'll do a pie.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Don't love it, but if they let me pick 12-16 teams to be in the new conference it could be really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

No need.

The Big 10 doesn't have 10.
          The Big 12 won't have 12.
          The Southwestern Athletic Conference has teams in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida.
          The Big East is in Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
          The Atlantic 10 has more than 10 and schools in Illinois and Ohio.
          The Atlantic Coast has a school in Kentucky and Indiana.

Pan comes from the Greek which encompasses all, every, whole or all-inclusive. Just because the term pan-american has generally included the Americas as a whole, it can work on the smaller level of just America, which it would be in this case. A conference that includes the whole of America (United States). Going coast to coast would work.

We'd be talking about 13 states and possibly getting to 15 should the add one or both Colorado schools and one of UNLV, Nevada, Utah State, or Boise.

All things considered, I think it would work.
          I was just going by the Merriam-Webster definition:

of, relating to, or involving the independent republics of North and South America… See the full definition

Pan-American

adjective

Pan-Amer·​i·​can ˌpa-nə-ˈmer-ə-kən
          : of, relating to, or involving the independent republics of North and South America

Either way I'm not putting my money on that happening. What will be interesting is what happens when football breaks away from the olympic sports to alleviate the travel issues for those sports. That could get interesting.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 16, 2023, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• How about the PAC-American

Comment

• PanAm Conference

Fly like an eagle with us in the PanAm Conference, just don’t be upset someday when it crashes and goes bankrupt.”

Comment

• So what kind of timetable do you think we are looking at to get this more or less resolved. The damage to the PAC-12 brand is pretty done. Is there any real urgency for the 4 remaining teams to get something done or will they want to slow walk this for a couple of months to see what might develop.

Florida State doesn't seem to be too happy with is lot in life as an ACC Member. Maybe that is just saber-rattling. Hard to say.

Comment

• Premier American Conference
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Post Apocalypse Conference?

Comment

• The American PaCalStan Conference

Comment

• The Moo Goo Gai Pan Conference

Comment

• Picked-over American Conference

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            So what kind of timetable do you think we are looking at to get this more or less resolved. The damage to the PAC-12 brand is pretty done. Is there any real urgency for the 4 remaining teams to get something done or will they want to slow walk this for a couple of months to see what might develop.

Florida State doesn't seem to be too happy with is lot in life as an ACC Member. Maybe that is just saber-rattling. Hard to say.
                            The longer they wait, the higher the exit fees will be for the incoming schools if they decide to try to poach to rebuild. They will need 4 schools within 10 months basically. (they theoretically have 2 years to get back from under the 8 team limit but i doubt they want a year with only 4 schools)

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The longer they wait, the higher the exit fees will be for the incoming schools if they decide to try to poach to rebuild. They will need 4 schools within 10 months basically. (they theoretically have 2 years to get back from under the 8 team limit but i doubt they want a year with only 4 schools)
                              Yeah, the exit fees seem to be a big issue especially if their media deal is lousy or in limbo. Perhaps all the more reason for the PAC-4, MWC-12 and AAC-14 to get together and work out a mutually agreeable and perhaps a mutually beneficial restructuring of their 30 schools into two conferences. Although I don't think that will happen.

As it stands right now, if the Pac-12 does expand their best shot is to pluck schools from the American first since their buyout is cheaper and then wait until 2025 to add some Mountain West programs. So maybe go to 8 schools for the 2024-25 season and then add 4 more from the MWC to get back to 12 for the 25-26 season. Top 4 AAC targets seem to be be SMU, Tulane, Rice, and Memphis. Not sure who the top 4 targets in the MWC conference would be but my guess would be San Diego State, Air Force, UNLV, and Utah State.

Less likely, in my opinion, is a PAC-AAC merger although maybe that would work if ESPN can make the financial incentives attractive enough. There is some question as to whether or not the media rightsholders are tapped out or close to it.

Stanford and Cal were only 1 vote shy of approval to join the ACC. Maybe a bit of spark still remains there.

I have to believe that Stanford and Cal are probably still hoping the can wrangle an invite from the Big 10 but not sure what the prospects for that are. The media rightsholders apparently didn't think they would add that much value. So if that was going to happn it probably already would have.

It seems possible that this is all moving towards the SEC, Big 10, ACC and Big 12 forming an association that will segregate their footbal from their olympic sports and perhaps end up with a conference and division setup that will looks something like the NFL that will operate independently from the NCAA.

As far as Wichita State being proactive I am not exactly sure what they can actually do proactively except as it relates to them positioning themselves as best the can among the left behinds and hopefully getting their program back on a more solid financial footing while trying to make sure their men's basketball program is in the best possible situtation. The best possible situation would probalby be in the Big East but that doesn't seem very probable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Schedule up and use BIG money for NIL for that one year. Pull off some upsets that season and get a school in the college playoffs. Back in business Pac-4. BIG and 12 and ESPN will take you and the other 3 the very next year. Easy-capease.

Who wouldn't wanna see Oregon St. or Stanford play Georgia for all the football marbles? Lol

FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X