Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
    If the Pac-4 stay together and somehow poach from the AAC we have to pray they take the Navy/WSU combo. Luckily, Navy has such a strong brand that I doubt they get left behind.
    If the PAC somehow survives and invites Navy plus a MBB/Olympic member, that ain’t gonna be us. There’s a far more obvious choice that fits that mold out in the existing PAC footprint.

WSU is in a very poor position currently. We have to hope conference improvement passively comes to us as an existing AAC member. We have nothing to sell on our own right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

If the PAC somehow survives and invites Navy plus a MBB/Olympic member, that ain’t gonna be us. There’s a far more obvious choice that fits that mold out in the existing PAC footprint.
      I guess you hope Navy would have a gentleman's agreement with WSU, at that point
      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        If those 4 schools join, do they stop at 18 or go to 20? 24?

I wouldn't mind just adding Cal/Stanford and staying at 16, but like I said before if it's an "all 4 or no deal" situation; you do the deal.
        If it's not all or nothing, you just add Cal and Stanford then wait a year or two when the MWC exit fees come down then you go after two/four of your choice to go to 18/20. SDSU/AFA/CSU/??? would be the way I would think.

Everything though depends on what Cal and Stanford end up doing.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          If those 4 schools join, do they stop at 18 or go to 20? 24?

I wouldn't mind just adding Cal/Stanford and staying at 16, but like I said before if it's an "all 4 or no deal" situation; you do the deal.
          You grab two or four. Then you immediately go to SDSU and Boise and ask them. They will likely need to join an extra year later due to exit fees but still get it on paper.

Comment

WSU is in a very poor position currently. We have to hope conference improvement passively comes to us as an existing AAC member. We have nothing to sell on our own right now.
            It sucks to say, but if your value as a conference member is solely tied to MBB success then you're probably not very valuable. This applies to any school.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

It sucks to say, but if your value as a conference member is solely tied to MBB success then you're probably not very valuable. This applies to any school.
              The harsh reality--Wichita State has basically no leverage. We're at the mercy of everyone else unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Contrary to the opinion of many, they were invited, and upon hearing the inside scoop, backed out.
                Where did you see this?

Comment

In my pipedream it’s Navy-WSU and Army-Gonzaga if it’s in the pac12. If it were the AAC, Army-Dayton or VCU might be better geographically? The American name makes more sense in my fantasy land. Let’s add the PAC-4 plus army gonzaga and throw in Air Force to get to 20.

Comment

• Comment

• Of course they could convince OSU and WaSU, but they aren’t the prize.

They go against the profile of the conference (major cities) and would only be added if it was required to also get Cal and Stanford (which would be smart).
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                        In my pipedream it’s Navy-WSU and Army-Gonzaga if it’s in the pac12.
                        If we added Cal and Stanford, I would think that opens the door to also bringing in SDSU and Gonzaga, no?

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

If we added Cal and Stanford, I would think that opens the door to also bringing in SDSU and Gonzaga, no?
                          SDSU? Yes.

Gonzaga? Doubtful.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I’ve been asking myself this question. If the AAC could-would add any TWO schools (within reason), who would they be? Any of the PAC 4 leftovers? Air Force? Colo State? Others? Trying to figure out what would make the most sense with everything being considered.

In other words, if you are the commissioner, what two are on your wish list, assuming they would be willing to go to the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                              I’ve been asking myself this question. If the AAC could-would add any TWO schools (within reason), who would they be? Any of the PAC 4 leftovers? Air Force? Colo State? Others? Trying to figure out what would make the most sense with everything being considered.

In other words, if you are the commissioner, what two are on your wish list, assuming they would be willing to go to the AAC.
                              At this point, I think the top two would be Cal and Stanford. High level academics. Bay area exposure. History of solid to good sports programs. Raises the level of academic and athletic standards for the conference. New time zone option. Would definitely move the needle for the AAC in regards to media payout. I don't think any other two schools do that, or at least not to the same level.

If they both say no, I think I would target SDSU for sure. I think they're the clear #3 on my list. Southern Cal, high level athletics in both football and basketball. I believe they're a solid academic institution as well. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure who I'd pair with them. UNLV gives you the larger city that fits within the AAC, but I believe they're looked down upon a bit academically and their athletics hasn't been great in recent memory. Reno is a smaller city, but I think Nevada wins in every other category and would probably be my choice for the #4 spot on my wish list. Probably doesn't really do much for the media dollar, but paired with SDSU would give us a bump.

#5 and #6 on my list would be the Colorado schools. AFA and CSU offer a closer fit in a new time zone. CSU has had some solid athletics in both major sports and has potential, which is why they've often been looked at by the likes of the XII and I believe the PAC, but has always fallen a little short. AFA would bring a lot of prestige as a service academy with high standards. Wouldn't bring much to the court and I'm not sure how much they bring to the gridiron as they seem to ride quite the roller-coaster there. But AFA alone would still probably give the conference a bump in pay just because they're a service academy and you know the thought of Navy v Air Force for football would sell. Colorado is also still a state that's growing and that doesn't hurt.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                                Also if they are comparing AAC vs MWC, Stanford and Cal are much more likely to want to be aligned from an academics standpoint with Rice, Tulane, Navy, USF and SMU than any single school in the MWC

Comment

Working...
                                X