Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Exactly agree.

Except if we’re being real, the 80s, 2000s and 2010s were all pretty darn good. I think the 90s are the exception.

13 NCAAs, 9 NITs in those 30 years. Plus the tournament success.

90s were obviously dark days.
    The ole memory is fading, but here's a quick stab at Shockers history...

We cut our teeth in the early 1900-1910's learning the new game that was sweeping America.
    We caught our stride in the 20's and arrived in the 1930's, thanks to ole Ross McBurney (can't tell you how many times I've lobbied for his jersey to be hanging in the rafters).
    The 1940's were turbulent with WWII and I don't recall much of it.
    The Shockers started showing up on the national radar again in the early 50's (Cleo Littleton).
    We rocked the house in the early 1960's with the arrival of Ralph Miller and Dave "The Rave" Stallworth; we made our first Final Four... and played in the top-rated conference in America (The NIT was equal to the NCAA tournament).
    Darn, if we didn't stub our toes again in the early 1970's. Gene Smithson arrived in the late 70's and brought Carr, Levingston and McDaniel. We came very close to making it to the mountain top again, when the NCAA bent us over the park bench (BOHICA).
    The 1990's should never be spoken about again.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

I started attending regularly in Fogler and up through the beginning of Marshall before I moved away. I will say this fan base is entitled now. Early on there was a lot of enthusiasm for Randy. People were over the moon for that 2003 NIT match up at Iowa State. Absolutely on fire for that Florida State 2004 NIT game. Heartbroken with that Vanderbilt breakaway in 2005. 2006 sweet sixteen and then another short lull before a pretty big rise under Marshall.

My point is our past decade is more the exception than the rule. We need to stand with the team, but demand accountability. I don't think Boatright and IB are the ones to meet the challenge any more than Tom Shupe and Mike Cohen were. However, if I lived in Wichita I'd use these empty seats and $5 tickets as an opportunity to support the team on game day.
      Key words: "but demand accountability"

The only realistic way the average fan can demand accountability and effect change is to vote with their feet and wallets.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
        I don't think Boatright and IB are the ones to meet the challenge any more than Tom Shupe and Mike Cohen were. However, if I lived in Wichita I'd use these empty seats and $5 tickets as an opportunity to support the team on game day.
        You didn’t mention the University President along with Tom Shupe and Mike Cohen, nor did you mention President Muma today.

In today’s big time athletics atmosphere, University Presidents are a big part of the top level team on athletics, and Muma has to take responsibility for what’s happening right now. He may want to divorce himself from what’s happening, but he can’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

The ole memory is fading, but here's a quick stab at Shockers history...

We cut our teeth in the early 1900-1910's learning the new game that was sweeping America.
          We caught our stride in the 20's and arrived in the 1930's, thanks to ole Ross McBurney (can't tell you how many times I've lobbied for his jersey to be hanging in the rafters).
          The 1940's were turbulent with WWII and I don't recall much of it.
          The Shockers started showing up on the national radar again in the early 50's (Cleo Littleton).
          We rocked the house in the early 1960's with the arrival of Ralph Miller and Dave "The Rave" Stallworth; we made our first Final Four... and played in the top-rated conference in America (The NIT was equal to the NCAA tournament).
          Darn, if we didn't stub our toes again in the early 1970's. Gene Smithson arrived in the late 70's and brought Carr, Levingston and McDaniel. We came very close to making it to the mountain top again, when the NCAA bent us over the park bench (BOHICA).
          The 1990's should never be spoken about again.
          Let me fill in a bit about the 30’s and 40’s.

The 1936 Olympic Basketball team fielded a team of Shockers and UCLA Bruins. Jack Ragland and Francis Johnson were former WSU players playing for McPherson Globe Refiners, and we’re coached by Jimmy Needles of UCLA, who was assisted by Gene Smith of WSU. James Naismith presented the medals, none on the team were from KU.

there used to be an Olympic oak on campus. Idk if it’s still there.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Let me fill in a bit about the 30’s and 40’s.

The 1936 Olympic Basketball team fielded a team of Shockers and UCLA Bruins. Jack Ragland and Francis Johnson were former WSU players playing for McPherson Globe Refiners, and we’re coached by Jimmy Needles of UCLA, who was assisted by Gene Smith of WSU. James Naismith presented the medals, none on the team were from KU.

there used to be an Olympic oak on campus. Idk if it’s still there.
            Unfortunately, we're pretty good at the "U" forgetting about the accomplishments of the past.

Comment

• The NITs in the early 2000's were supported and looked forward to because we knew we were building something. Same when Marshall took over a depleted roster. You saw the progress and you knew that was the step in the right direction. The NIT was never accepted as good enough or the end goal.

Anything less than an NCAA tournament appearance should be disappointing after what was built. We shouldn't accept it and be happy with it. Though with the trajectory of the program and the lack of leadership within the department we're going to get back to hoping to make an NIT and hope that it's just a small step in the right direction of where we should be.

I can never fault someone for supporting the kids. But I'm definitely not going to fault those that are unhappy with the leadership and trajectory of the program to not invest and support it. Big money donors can possibly get changes made by throwing their weight around. The rest of us can only use our voices and money in limited ways to be heard. If enough people stop paying and stop going maybe that message gets heard by Muma and he makes changes. He's not high on my list right now, but there's still time for him to improve his standing.

And not attending and supporting the program right now doesn't limit the attractiveness of the job to future prospects. They know the support that is there when the program is being run the right way. Even our poor attendance is better than most of Division I. They know that the money is there if they're successful. That doesn't just go away because we have a **** AD at the moment and a coach in over his head that are deflating the program. Those things will still be there when the right leadership is in place and the right person is running the basketball program.

But first thing is first and Boatright needs to be flushed.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I remember when avoiding Thursday night at the MVC tourney was a great accomplishment.

Comment

• bump

Comment

• Steve Prohm back at Murray State - maybe Boatright (https://goracers.com/sports/general/...-boatright/506) and Kennedy will reunite with him

Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• 7AE90393-6AAB-481D-A601-C3004EFAAA86.jpeg Not sure where to post about Patty, figured the Boatright thread was appropriate.

Comment

• Can’t get this to upload any bigger or clearer.
                        update: was able to get it to upload below.
                        Last edited by apkbaum; March 25, 2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by apkbaum View Post
                          7AE90393-6AAB-481D-A601-C3004EFAAA86.jpeg Not sure where to post about Patty, figured the Boatright thread was appropriate.
                          What a bizarre human.

Comment

• It gets better…
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies
                              We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie

We love to cut you down to size
                              We love dirty laundry…

When it's said and done, we haven't told you a thing
                              We all know that crap is king
                              Give us dirty laundry!

Kick 'em when they're up
                              Kick 'em when they're down
                              Kick 'em when they're stiff
                              Kick 'em all around…”

Comment

• Maybe her vendetta will take out ADDB next…
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X