No announcement yet.

MVC HONORS FOR THIS SEASON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup it makes sense lete chose a defensive players on the valley worst defense as the DPOY. Only in the mvc
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I hear Garrett Stutz is a shoo-in for the 2012 Rodney Dangerfield award presented by the MVC referees.

Comment

I hope our team rallies around Toure and throws down for the show down and wins Toure an MVP of the NCAA tourney when we claw, scratch, and rip our way into the championship game!
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I guess I'm "ok" with how the voting went. I think the biggest shame is Toure didn't even get second team. Instead, he was stuck with honorable mention.

Here's to hoping Toure can throw that in everybody's faces this weekend.
          ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
          www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

Thats the only "travesty" that I see is Toure getting honorable mention. Dude is at least top 5 in the league as a player.

Im not going to say anything about Echinique's defense because the only time I really watched him was against us. He benefited from some calls but over all looked pretty good. I dont get why people get so hung up on team performance for an individual award.

Comment

All I know is that Creighton couldn't stop Weems, Ryan, and our guards at the end of the year were making them look bad. For that Creighton earned a second team for Antoine Young and a Defensive POY for GE. Ben Smith stopped Ryan the last time we played E'ville and McDermott (the highest scorers in the league) both times. Ben should be the DPOY by a high margin. We dominated the league and don't have as many good players.

Comment

It's just so typical of the Valley. Gotta keep things even! Don't want any 1 team to get too much attention.

I promise you, we're going to have to be head and shoulders better than every other team to win in St. Louis. There will be NO 1.9 cheating miracle, or any letting of contact go against the Shocks. Given a chance, Commissioner Even will get his group of minions to get a 3rd team into the tournament.

When we get screwed, don't say I didn't tell you so.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                  Thats the only "travesty" that I see is Toure getting honorable mention. Dude is at least top 5 in the league as a player.
                  By Sunday afternoon, players from the other teams will be "mention"-ing Toure' and most of the conversation won't be "honorable".

Go Shocks!

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
                    I have to assume the top three were Toure, Ben Smith and GE. Smith and Murry probably canceled each other out, leaving GE with the most votes by a slim margin.

How Toure is HM and not 2nd team is beyond my mental grasp, however. 1st team was hard to crack, but in my mind, he's easily the 6th best player in the conference.
                    I blame @ShockerFever: for this travesty. Banging the "Toure' makes stupid mistakes" drum all year long broke the will of those willing to vote for him.

I kid because I care.

Comment

Toure earned at least a second team.
                      "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Sr. Toure Murry only nets honorable mention? I don't get that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          All I know is that Creighton couldn't stop Weems, Ryan, and our guards at the end of the year were making them look bad. For that Creighton earned a second team for Antoine Young and a Defensive POY for GE. Ben Smith stopped Ryan the last time we played E'ville and McDermott (the highest scorers in the league) both times. Ben should be the DPOY by a high margin. We dominated the league and don't have as many good players.
                          Pinkie was busy guarding the other 4 offensive players while the rest of the CU team was doing the Dougie and watching those guys score at will.

Comment

[QUOTE=Signman;305592]
                            Originally posted by AG1219 View Post
                            Echinique is a good defender..

If Echenique is a great defender it would show up in team stats. It has alway driven me crazy that most fans assume the guy with the most blocks or steals is the best defender. This thinking is flawed on many levels. Defense is about fighting thru screens, talking, man/ball vision, taking pride in stopping your man, boxing out, rebounding, always being in a perfect help side position so you don't have to sell out on the help, getting a hand in their face to change shots (IMO more important than a blocked shot) and most important just getting a stop every time down the floor. Plus a whole lot more.

How many layups did Joe, Toure, D Will, and Ben have during the game with Creighton? I guess you could say he was good because Garrett only played 13 minutes but he didn't plug up the middle against our other players.

However let's examine Creighton objectively. They play primarily a man to man basic help side defense. They do not fight to the passing lanes hard or their steals would be higher than they are (318th of 345 NCAA D1 teams according to KENPOM's tempo adjusted stats). So they are trying to keep the ball in front of them. This is evidenced by their 3 pt defense which ranks 261st. Their shot blocking is also an abysmal 318th in the country. Wouldn't the DPOY at least boosted this up some if all those opponents of the BlueJays were getting to the rim. Last as a team they are 190th in defensive efficiency. Defense is not played in a vacuum in basketball. The DPOY should not have come from Creighton or from anyone in the bottom half of the defensive team stats in this league.

I'm with Kung Wu now as well so let's burn it up at the Arch. This is an insult.
                            How many layups did Joe, Toure, Ben, and D Will have against Creighton the last game we played against them? I guess you could say that GE had a good defensive game because Garrett only played 13 minutes but he didn't plug up the middle against our other players.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              I blame @ShockerFever: for this travesty. Banging the "Toure' makes stupid mistakes" drum all year long broke the will of those willing to vote for him.

I kid because I care.
                              Well, I banged the "Echinique fouls more than anyone in the history of the Valley drum" all year, Doc, but it didn't do a damn bit of good.

Comment

TM was screwed! He should be on the 1st team in place of Kyle Weems. It is really hard to believe that he didn't even make second team.

Congrats to all of our award winners!

Comment

Working...
                                X