MVC HONORS FOR THIS SEASON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    It's just so typical of the Valley. Gotta keep things even! Don't want any 1 team to get too much attention.

I promise you, we're going to have to be head and shoulders better than every other team to win in St. Louis. There will be NO 1.9 cheating miracle, or any letting of contact go against the Shocks. Given a chance, Commissioner Even will get his group of minions to get a 3rd team into the tournament.

When we get screwed, don't say I didn't tell you so.
    Oh come on we know it all doesn't work that way. The Valley loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I thought Rice may be defensive player of the year since he unofficially led the league in steals.

Comment

Toure certainly got screwed. Toure you're First Team All Conference in my book. It's time to just kick a$$

Comment

While I agree with nearly everyone on this subject, us complaining really only comes off as acting like KU fans, expecting the rest of the world to bow down and kiss our butts because we had a good season. Let's just take it for what it is, hopefully the players hit St. Louis with a little extra chip on their collective shoulders, and we crush whoever is in front of us.

Comment

Votes should be made public. That'd really add credibility to it all and hold voters accountable.
            ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
            www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
              I thought Rice may be defensive player of the year since he unofficially led the league in steals.
              HAHAHA!!!! Didn't he tie with one of his teammates though? Nonetheless, well played!!

Comment

Toure not on 1st or 2nd team is UPSETTING.

First Team Yr. Pos. Ht. Hometown

Doug McDermott, Creighton So. F 6-7 Ames (Iowa) High
                Joe Ragland, Wichita State Sr. G 6-0 W. Springfield (Mass.) North Platte (Neb.) JC
                Colt Ryan, Evansville Jr. G/F 6-5 Batesville (Ind.) High
                Garrett Stutz, Wichita State Sr. C 7-0 Kansas City (Mo.) North Kansas City High
                Kyle Weems, Missouri State Sr. F 6-6 Topeka (Kan.) Highland Park High

Second Team
                Jackie Carmichael, Illinois State Jr. F 6-9 Manhattan (Kan.) South Kent Prep
                Jake Odum, Indiana State So. G 6-4 Terre Haute (Ind.) South Vigo High
                Rayvonte Rice, Drake So. G 6-4 Champaign (Ill.) Centennial High
                Ben Simons, Drake Jr. F 6-8 Cadillac (Mich.) High
                Antoine Young, Creighton Sr. G 6-0 Bellevue (Neb.) West High

Honorable-Mention Selections
                Taylor Brown, Bradley Sr. F 6-6 Atlanta (Ga.) Dunwoody High
                Denver Holmes, Evansville Sr. F/G 6-4 Olathe (Kan.) Olathe South High
                Anthony James, UNI Jr. G 6-0 St. Louis (Mo.) Normandy High
                Toure' Murry, Wichita State Sr. G 6-5 Houston (Texas) Klein Forest High
                Mamadou Seck, S. Illinois Sr. F 6-7 Dakar (Senegal) UCAD / Southeastern Ill.

All-Newcomer Team
                Tyler Brown, Illinois State Jr. G 6-4 Owensboro (Ky.) Apollo / Marshalltown C.C.
                Anthony Downing, Missouri St. Jr. G 6-0 Atchison (Kan.) High / Independence CC
                Grant Gibbs, Creighton Jr. G 6-4 Marion (Iowa) Linn-Mar High / Gonzaga
                Carl Hall, Wichita State Jr. F 6-8 Cochran (Ga.) Northwest Florida State
                Seth Tuttle, UNI Fr. F 6-8 Sheffield (Iowa) West Fork High

All-Freshman Team
                Dantiel Daniels, S. Illinois F 6-6 Wentzville (Mo.) High
                Deon Mitchell, UNI G 6-1 Pflugerville (Texas) High
                Nic Moore, Illinois State G 5-9 Winona Lake (Ind.) Warsaw High
                Ryan Sawvell, Evansville F/C 6-8 Mundelein (Ill.) High
                Seth Tuttle, UNI F 6-8 Sheffield (Iowa) West Fork High

All-Defensive Team
                Jackie Carmichael, Illinois State Jr. F 6-9 Manhattan (Kan.) South Kent Prep
                Gregory Echenique, Creighton Jr. C 6-9 Guatire (Venezuela) St. Benedict's (N.J.) HS
                Toure' Murry, Wichita State Sr. G 6-5 Houston (Texas) Klein Forest High
                Ben Smith, Wichita State Sr. F 6-5 Oklahoma City (Okla.) Northern Okla. - Enid
                Troy Taylor, Evansville Jr. G 6-0 Anderson (Ind.) High
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Does Kyle Weems really deserve to be on the 1st team this year with the way he played down the stretch when his team needed him the most? I guess he had good overall numbers, and I suppose these awards are a numbers game as much as anything, but I was not impressed with how he finished the year. Who knows he may come out rejuvenated for the MVC Tournament and play great.
                  It's a numbers game as well as a "how big is your name" game. Every coach/media member knows Weems and how great he can be. He was a lock to be 1st team MVC the day the season kicked off unless he just completely bombed or got hurt. Same with McDermott.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti View Post
                    While I agree with nearly everyone on this subject, us complaining really only comes off as acting like KU fans, expecting the rest of the world to bow down and kiss our butts because we had a good season. Let's just take it for what it is, hopefully the players hit St. Louis with a little extra chip on their collective shoulders, and we crush whoever is in front of us.
                    KU fans whine because they believe they are entitled to honors. We are bitching because our players have earned them and were passed over. I dont see anyone on here complaining in a down year.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• The only thing I'm saying, the only thing I'm complaining about is that Toure was put on Honorable mention.

GARBAGE!
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti View Post
                        I don't think everyone wanting one of the best players in the Valley to be rewarded with AT LEAST a 2nd-Team All Conference selection is "expecting the rest of the world to bow down and kiss our butts because we had a good season".

He deserved it and I'm glad everyone here notices it and is pointing it out. I'm sure the team noticed it as well, especially TM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti View Post
                          It isn't us complaining because the program isn't getting respect. I, and I think a lot of guys here are complaining because this is the league/voters, whoever, being politically correct and making sure that all the teams get a piece of the pie. That is the ONLY way, Toure Murray doesn't get 2nd team. He probably should be a first teamer for God's sake, the way he played over the same stretch of games that Weems was suckin' teat. Weems is good, but Weems is about Weems! Period! You never see Toure act like a jag and make a complete fool of himself when things aren't going his way, and he has had enough times in his career here where that was the case. You couldn't tell from his demeanor whether he just had 30 points, or whether he threw the ball away to lose the game. Dude held his head high and acted first class, EVERY step of the way.

Hat's off to Toure! I'm sure that he couldn't care less about this. But for Toure and all he's done, I for one hate to see him get snubbed, because of what I see as "Everyone gets a turn" mentality. This is division I basketball, not biddy ball where everyone gets a trophy. If the best team has the best players, it should be reflected as such.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Toure' not making at least 2nd team is complete BS. I was having a conversation with @Flutapotamus: last night, and I said that maybe Toure' should win Valley player of the year. No, he doesn't have the stats like MCD or Stutz, but IMO he is the best overall player in this conference. His all-around game, Offense, Defense, Rebounding, Assists, Steals, everything. I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in this Conference. Him not making at least 2nd team is asinine.

Comment

• Toure's Stats for the year:
                              SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
                              2011-12 WICH 28.9 4.2-9.8 .425 0.5-1.8 .283 3.2-4.1 .789 4.8 3.3 0.3 1.2 1.6 2.1 12.1
                              Simons of Drake's stats for the year:
                              SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
                              2011-12 DRKE 35.7 5.8-12.2 .475 2.6-6.2 .426 2.0-2.3 .860 3.4 1.4 0.2 0.8 2.1 1.7 16.2
                              Toure, playing 7 less minutes per game, has more rebounds, assists, blocks, steals per game.

Simons only beats Toure out in FG% by .050%, 3pointers/game, 3P%, and points per game only by 4.1

Please tell me how you put a Junior Drake player that missed 4 games in the MVC due to illness, at 2nd team all-valley, and Toure Murry who played in every single game this year, a Senior, who has proven that he's one of the best all around basketball players to play at Wichita State, at Honorable mention.

GARBAGE!
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Congratulations to a well deserved 1st team showing by Stutz and Ragland! And Toure too -- screw those voters. Congrats to Hall and Smith as well! All very well deserved.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program ...

BEGIN FINAL RANT

It's arguable that even Ehimen Orupke is a better defender than Eche-pink-gay.

From statsheets.com:

EO: Defensive Rebound %: 25.6 Steals %: 1.5 Blocks %: 12
                                GE: Defensive Rebound %: 23.0 Steals %: 1.0 Blocks %: 6.9

Yes, that's correct, EO leads GE in ALL 3 defensive columns they are showing. And I am not advocating EO as the DPOY -- but Eche-pink-gay? So get rid of stats and what is left for Eche-pink-gay? NOTHING. So the stats aren't in his favor, but without them it comes down to subjective match-ups and game results. Did he out-defend his opponents better and more often than every other person in the league? The only way to gauge that is by looking at raw numbers (points allowed) -- how else can you make sense of it, if you aren't looking at individual stats?

EO collected 27 blocks in only 230 minutes of playing time. Eche-pink-gay collected 49 in 706 minutes. Chew on that tasty cow patty, which as you all know, was cooked evenly by the heat of the Texas sun.

END FINAL RANT
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X