No announcement yet.

MVC HONORS FOR THIS SEASON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defense is a team oriented skill. The DPOY should be the anchor on a great defensive team. He should be the guy getting the toughest assignment week in week out. There is not a stat that makes it easy to identify a great defensive player. You can look at steals or blocked shots but they don't begin to tell the whole story. Ken Pomeroy's defensive efficiency stat is a pretty good tool for teams but not any single player. The only people who will really know who the best defensive player in this league is are the players themselves . We should have them vote.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      1st Team: Joe Ragland, Toure' Murry, Colt Ryan, Doug McDermott, Garrett Stutz
      2nd Team: Antoine Young, Rayvote Rice, Kyle Weems, Greg Echineque, Jackie Carmichael
      HM: Grant Gibbs, Jake Odum, Ben Simons, Anthony James, Jake Koch

Newcomer Team: Grant Gibbs, Jamar Gulley, Carl Hall, Seth Tuttle, Nic Moore

POY: Garrett Stutz
      DPOY: Ben Smith
      FOY: Seth Tuttle
      NOY: Grant Gibbs

That's how I see it right now. If I took more time I might tweak a couple of things, but I don't feel like it right now.
      Agreed.

Comment

Originally Posted by HarpBros

10. Wichita State Shockers
        This may very well be the best Shocker team since Xavier McDaniel, Cliff Levingston and Aubrey Sherrod took the floor for Wichita State. Gregg Marshall has a team full of major conference talent, and this team plays hard and together. Toure' Murry is one of the best individual defenders in the country, and he is helping lead the best non-BCS conference team -- and one of the best overall teams -- in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Signman View Post
          The administrator of the MVC Fans site shows Echenique as the defensive player of the year. I think this is comical considering how bad defensively Creighton is as a team. The defensive player of the year should come from one of the best defenses in the league. According to KENPOM Creighton ranks 8 out of 10 in defensive efficiency as a team in the Valley and 190th out of 345 D1 teams. Shouldn't the defensive player of the year come from a team that plays a little defense.
          I don't see it either. Creighton's defense was exposed as a weakness.

Comment

2nd Team: Antoine Young, Rayvote Rice, Kyle Weems, Greg Echineque, Jackie Carmichael

That's how I see it right now. If I took more time I might tweak a couple of things, but I don't feel like it right now.
            I like this.

Comment

It's been 29 years (1983) since WSU placed two first-team MVC selections (X & Carr...Sherrod was on second team).

I's been 47 years (1965) since WSU placed three first-team MVC selections (Dave Stallworth, Kelly Pete, Dave Leach).

Comment

On 2nd thought...one minor change, as much as I love Ben I think Toure' is the more complete defender and should get DPOY. It's a close call but I lean to the 4 year man.

Comment

Originally posted by Signman View Post
                  On 2nd thought...one minor change, as much as I love Ben I think Toure' is the more complete defender and should get DPOY. It's a close call but I lean to the 4 year man.
                  I thought about that, but it was Ben who was chosen to shut down a number of offensive threats this season so I'm sticking with giving him the award.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Question, is the Larry Bird Trophy based on Valley performances only, or the entire season even with non-con's included?

If it's MVC only, then I think talks of Stutz taking down the trophy aren't as far fetched as some believe.
                    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                      Question, is the Larry Bird Trophy based on Valley performances only, or the entire season even with non-con's included?

If it's MVC only, then I think talks of Stutz taking down the trophy aren't as far fetched as some believe.
                      Sully mentioned in his chat the other day that it is up to the voters' discretion- they can base it on either just MVC play or the entire season.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                        Sully mentioned in his chat the other day that it is up to the voters' discretion- they can base it on either just MVC play or the entire season.
                        That seems a little silly. I would have hoped they had that set in stone.

Thanks for the reply though 89. Appreciate it.
                        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Paul Suellentrop mentioned in his chat last week that there was nothing that said you only had to consider Valley games. If that is factual, and I have no reason to think it's not, then you have to give the award to Doug, imho.

Edit: Guess I was a little late to the party here....

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            If that is factual, and I have no reason to think it's not, then you have to give the award to Doug, imho.
                            Agreed, hard to take issue with McD winning POY.

But if Echenique snags DPOY....

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                              That seems a little silly. I would have hoped they had that set in stone.

Thanks for the reply though 89. Appreciate it.
                              It's strange that they let them choose. In baseball they use VALLEY ONLY STATS to pick the award winners.

Also it is unfair to use the non-con. WSU played a lot tougher non-con schedule than CU. Valley stats keep everything on a level playing field.

Comment

Not bad at all! Not sure the committee will play it out that way, but it's a very honest and realistic assessment of what should happen.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X