No announcement yet.

MVC HONORS FOR THIS SEASON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, selecting Ech-a-sketch-niquee as defensive player of the year is a massive indictment of how bad his teammates are on defense, which includes the MVC POY. So Creighton, a poor defensive team, has the best defensvie player in the league. So are his teammates just poor defensive players or are they just lazy. I suppose it's as Aargh says it is not a focus.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 28, 2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Toure' Honorable Mention LOL

I'm with @Kung Wu: now. Roll through the tournament. Name the scores. Burn the nets. Boo every time someone other than a WSU player is announced to the All Tournament Team.

Have Toure' wipe his *** with the Tourney MVP trophy.

Fortunately, our Coach and our program have more class than I do. I suspect they'll handle it with grace and a handshake.

God I hate this conference.
      Last edited by WuDrWu; February 28, 2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

My guess is what Toure would really value, way more than a MVC 2nd Team All-Conference award, would be a photograph of him and his teammates holding the MVC Tournament Championship trophy abover their heads this coming Sunday afternoon. That's the one I would also like to see come his way.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

Whoa, Ned Cox 6th man of the year?

Edit: Ok, none of our top 7 are eligible for this award due to number of starts. I can return to normal heart functions.
          Last edited by WuDrWu; February 28, 2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I suspect that if we meet CU in MVC tourney final HCGM will not be averse to using some of the selections and non-selections as a motivational tool.
            The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

So GE is the defensive player of the year and not even HM All Valley?

Comment

I figured this would happen but was hoping it wouldn't. That little sCUm from creighton will probably get the POY the next 2 years as well just because of who he is. Wichita got no respect from the Valley this time around. And giving the DPOY to a kid on a team with a bad defense is just dumb. Rant over for now I guess

Comment

Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
                  I have to assume the top three were Toure, Ben Smith and GE. Smith and Murry probably canceled each other out, leaving GE with the most votes by a slim margin.

How Toure is HM and not 2nd team is beyond my mental grasp, however. 1st team was hard to crack, but in my mind, he's easily the 6th best player in the conference.

Comment

I think these specialty awards are sometimes reserved for players who may have been slighted or left out in other areas. A lot of this is just an attempt at spreading the wealth around and trying not to slight anyone. If GE had been HM in place of Toure, then Toure would have no doubt been the DPOY.

Comment

Does Kyle Weems really deserve to be on the 1st team this year with the way he played down the stretch when his team needed him the most? I guess he had good overall numbers, and I suppose these awards are a numbers game as much as anything, but I was not impressed with how he finished the year. Who knows he may come out rejuvenated for the MVC Tournament and play great.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 28, 2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Toure' only being honorable mention is a travesty.

Comment

[QUOTE=AG1219;305575]Echinique is a good defender..

If Echenique is a great defender it would show up in team stats. It has alway driven me crazy that most fans assume the guy with the most blocks or steals is the best defender. This thinking is flawed on many levels. Defense is about fighting thru screens, talking, man/ball vision, taking pride in stopping your man, boxing out, rebounding, always being in a perfect help side position so you don't have to sell out on the help, getting a hand in their face to change shots (IMO more important than a blocked shot) and most important just getting a stop every time down the floor. Plus a whole lot more.

However let's examine Creighton objectively. They play primarily a man to man basic help side defense. They do not fight to the passing lanes hard or their steals would be higher than they are (318th of 345 NCAA D1 teams according to KENPOM's tempo adjusted stats). So they are trying to keep the ball in front of them. This is evidenced by their 3 pt defense which ranks 261st. Their shot blocking is also an abysmal 318th in the country. Wouldn't the DPOY at least boosted this up some if all those opponents of the BlueJays were getting to the rim. Last as a team they are 190th in defensive efficiency. Defense is not played in a vacuum in basketball. The DPOY should not have come from Creighton or from anyone in the bottom half of the defensive team stats in this league.

I'm with Kung Wu now as well so let's burn it up at the Arch. This is an insult.

Comment

That Most-Improved Team will be interesting. Is that for the most-improved players vs last year or is that for the players who improved the most during the current season?

If it is the former Garrett, Joe, Ben and D-Will all deserve consideration.

If it is the latter D-Will should be in the mix.

Comment

Toure' got screwed. That is all I can say. Screwed from DPOY and 2nd Team. Unbelieveable!

Congrats to Garrett, Joe and Carl.

I hope this motivates everyone to step on necks and show no mercy.

Comment

Whoa. Holy crapstix, you are right!
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X