Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

My thinking as well. Anyone willing to join the Big 8 right now is not attractive enough for that conference. They are in quite a pickle.
    they have also defacto lost their status as a power conference.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
      Let me repeat : many pundits have said the current AAC is a better football conference than the B12 w/o OU and UT. If I am Cincy, Memphis, UCF or USF, I don't think it is a easy decision to make the move.
      But it just isn't. It's common sense. Viewership is anywhere between 60-80% greater w/ the B12 teams w/o OU/TU.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

I saw this in a media rights thread on some conference board right after the OU/TU news broke. With OSU (under the current earning structure) it’s something like 12m per school. If OSU is picked up it drops to about 7m per school. I think the AAC deal is worth 5m per school.

edit: the conference as it stands is at 37m per school. That means OU/TU are figured to generate 67% (250m) of the income (370m) if those numbers reported are correct. Based on how all this went down, I have no reason to doubt it.
        I read that the B12 membership's "tier 3" revenue was near that 7M mark.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

But it just isn't. It's common sense. Viewership is anywhere between 60-80% greater w/ the B12 teams w/o OU/TU.
          He said better football, not viewership. Viewership can be manipulated.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
            I can't imagine any program that would actually bolster the Big 8 would even consider joining. Everyone besides the Big 8 thinks they will soon fail to exist. Who would be crazy enough to do that? Am I missing something?
            Every single AAC school would leave within 5 seconds to the Big 8/10/12... whatever.

Comment

Every single AAC school would leave within 5 seconds to the Big 8/10/12... whatever.
              Maybe with OSU. Maybe. They are the last quality program left.

Comment

There are plenty of articles with data out there to refute this.
                The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

My thinking as well. Anyone willing to join the Big 8 right now is not attractive enough for that conference. They are in quite a pickle.
                  A lot of "farm", "flyover" and "religious" schools left in the 8. Not that's necessarily a bad thing but certainly a few of them or perhaps all 8 should really consider joining the American TV markets. Not the largest markets in the U.S. but better than say the Mountain West or whatever would be available with their current 8 team membership. Their hesitancy to adapt is exposing their greed...so stopping blaming ESPN for ESPN's greed commissioner. You kind of look hypocritical.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

He said better football, not viewership. Viewership can be manipulated.
                    Oh well hell... if you're gonna qualify it like that. There's been "better" basketball for years among the mid-majors at various points of the regular season and NCAA tournament, but they don't get promoted because... they aren't a B R A N D. Part of major televised sports are actual events, and there's another part this is very contrived.

Brand name programs get maximum exposure because they're popular. And they are popular because they get maximum exposure.

Comment

Where are you getting that 60-80% number?
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Where are you getting that 60-80% number?
                        Some nerd on a forum. Don't quote me.

Comment

Not so sure about that: https://www.blackandgoldbanneret.com...-media-ucf-aac

Comment

• Realistically, we are looking at a Mexican standoff. I imagine money will be the primary factor for all those involved or even potentially involved:
                            • the AAC and MWC teams that could move to the Big 12 (Cincinnati may appeal to the ACC as well)
                            • the Big 12 teams that could flee to the B1G
                            • WVU, who could flee to the ACC
                            • The rest of the Big 12, that are looking to the Pac-12
                            • the AAC teams that don't have prospects to jump conferences right now
                            It doesn't seem to make much sense for any of these parties to pull the trigger without knowing what the other parties will do. ESPN clearly wants to use some of the money it would get from clearing liabilities to get the Big 12 members to flee. The Big 12 doesn't want to cut its pie or give up on the money UT or OU will make, but everyone knows that isn't smart to be the last to leave the conference. The AAC teams would get a payout for joining the Big 12, but the Big 12 of 2025 might be a totally different beast. And it doesn't make any sense for the Pac-12 or B1G to bid against themselves and raise the price; they can afford to wait and see.

Comment

• Media markets still play a part.

AAC
                              4 - Philadelphia
                              5 - Dallas-Ft. Worth
                              8 - Houston
                              13 - Tampa
                              17 - Orlando
                              36 - Cincinnati
                              50 - New Orleans
                              51 - Memphis
                              61 - Tulsa
                              70 - Wichita

There's a lot of growth potential with this lineup

Big 8
                              5 - DFW
                              26 - Pittsburgh (WVU)
                              34 - Kansas City
                              44 - Oklahoma City
                              68 - Des Moines-Ames
                              83 - Waco
                              142 - Topeka
                              145 - Lubbock

MWC
                              6 - San Francisco-San Jose
                              27 - San Diego
                              40 - Las Vegas
                              48 - Albuquerque-Sante Fe
                              55 - Fresno
                              67 - Honolulu
                              82 - Colorado Springs-Pueblo
                              101 - Boise
                              104 - Reno
                              195 - Cheyenne

These obviously aren't be all end all, but it's hard to sell if there is no market. And few of these schools truly draw a national audience on a regular basis. Some will pull more than just their market. But it's still about exposure and if ESPN continues to push the AAC it sets the conference up will for future negotiations. And if the AAC out performs the Big 8, it goes even further. The AAC is generally located in larger metro areas with more TVs and more eyeballs. .

You add WVU, KU, OSU, ISU and Baylor to get to 16 and you better both revenue generating sports and add five more top 100 markets, three of those top 50 to add to the seven already in the AAC. You got to go quite a ways west to get comparable markets for either the AAC or Big 8.

I'm obviously bored at work today and just thinking about possibilities. We have a long time to think about and wait to see what's going to happen though, so might as well have some fun.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Brand name programs get maximum exposure because they're popular. And they are popular because they get maximum exposure.
                                And if ESPN starts giving more of that exposure and hype to the AAC and takes some of it away from the Big 8, things can change.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X