Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Never said I did?

I know what the PACs TV deal/payout is and what their football ratings look like compared with the Big 12s.

And I know I would have read a lot of reports saying “PAC 12 won’t be making many moves” or something there abouts if that had actually been decided. Not just some off the cuff remark from a former football player. Someone post those? Look, they could very well stand pat. But that tweet means nothing.

Time will tell.
    I’m just pointing out the irony. You realize he has a radio show on the PAC-12 SiriusXM station right?
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
      At this point an AAC merger of all remaining schools seems most likely. If they can pull that off, BCS status could be within reach.
      I assume you mean the AAC will become one of the Power 5 conferences, replacing the Big XII moving out the Group of 5 conferences (which was AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC and Sun Belt) in the current College Football Playoff structure.

Each conference champion from the Power Five and the highest-ranked Group of Five conference champion is guaranteed a spot in a New Year's Six Bowl.[11] Every year, a non-Power Five team is guaranteed one bid to the New Year's Six bowls; however, so far no additional bids beyond that one have been granted. The CFP games are rotated among these 6 bowls from year-to-year. So in the 7 years of the CFP there 5 AAC teams have played in one of the New Year's Six Bowls. However, no team form the Group of 5 has ever played in a CFP game.

There have been 12 P5 champions that did not make the CFP. The Big 12 champion has been in 4 of the 7 CFP games and that was Oklahoma in 2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20. They are the only Big 12 team to participate in the CFP.

So I am not sure how much difference a Big XII (sans Oklahoma and Texas) merger into the AAC will make in the CFB picture in and of itself. You still will need a team ranked in the Top 4 to make it into the CFP and so far no one what's left of the Big XII or the AAC has been able to do that. But you would think it would improve their chances at least to some degree to get someone in a Top 4 ranking.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 29, 2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I assume you mean the AAC will become one of the Power 5 conferences, replacing the Big XII moving out the Group of 5 conferences (which was AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC and Sun Belt) in the current College Football Playoff structure.

Each conference champion from the Power Five and the highest-ranked Group of Five conference champion is guaranteed a spot in a New Year's Six Bowl.[11] Every year, a non-Power Five team is guaranteed one bid to the New Year's Six bowls; however, so far no additional bids beyond that one have been granted. The CFP games are rotated among these 6 bowls from year-to-year. So in the 7 years of the CFP there 5 AAC teams have played in one of the New Year's Six Bowls. However, no team form the Group of 5 has ever played in a CFP game.

There have been 12 P5 champions that did not make the CFP. The Big 12 champion has been in 4 of the 7 CFP games and that was Oklahoma in 2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20. They are the only Big 12 team to participate in the CFP.

So I am not sure how much difference a Big XII (sans Oklahoma and Texas) merger into the AAC will make in the CFB picture in and of itself. You still will need a team ranked in the Top 4 to make it into the CFP and so far no one what's left of the Big XII or the AAC has been able to do that. But you would think it would improve their chances at least to some degree to get someone in a Top 4 ranking.
        This flows into the expected expansion to 12 where each P5 team gets an autobid.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

I’m just pointing out the irony. You realize he has a radio show on the PAC-12 SiriusXM station right?
          I do. I also have read a lot about this and never actually seen that reported from any reporter/beat writer or anything. I should have said.. take that with a grain of salt. I’m obviously aware he’s more connected than me lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This flows into the expected expansion to 12 where each P5 team gets an autobid.
            How would a 12 team CFB work. The top 2 seeds get a bye on the initial round of games?

Going to 12 teams would be a much bigger impact than becoming a P5 teams. If a 12 team playoff had been in place over the past 7 years the Big XII would have had 4 more playoff teams and the AAC would probably had 3 playoff teams.

Improving the conference profile by adding Big XII teams probably enhances your chances of getting an additional team in the CFP in addition to the autobid.

Are they going to give the highest ranked G5/G4 champion an autobid as well if they go to 12 teams? The AAC would have had 5 teams in the CFP in the past 7 years if that had been the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

How would a 12 team CFB work. The top 2 seeds get a bye on the initial round of games?

Going to 12 teams would be a much bigger impact than becoming a P5 teams. If a 12 team playoff had been in place over the past 7 years the Big XII would have had 4 more playoff teams and the AAC would probably had 3 playoff teams.

Improving the conference profile by adding Big XII teams probably enhances your chances of getting an additional team in the CFP in addition to the autobid.

Are they going to give the highest ranked G5/G4 champion an autobid as well if they go to 12 teams? The AAC would have had 5 teams in the CFP in the past 7 years if that had been the case.
              Four Byes
              IRVING, Texas – A sub-group of College Football Playoff's (CFP) management committee today presented a proposal to change the current four-team format to a 12-team event.

Comment

• AAC & Big12 Merge.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  4 pods of 5. Plays those teams every year in FB and home and home in BB. Rotate through the rest
                  ks/ok teams is a pod, TX teams is a pod.

Can do a North South or East West split of the remainder. Would need to figure out who is the 20th team and where they are at.

Comment

• If WSU, KU, KSU, and OSU played home and home every year, there would be blood in the streets. Everyone thought KU and Mizzou was bad.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Anyone else uncomfortable with the fact that there are an even eight B12 leftovers, and eight AAC “full” members... then the Navy/WSU oddball as #17?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        Anyone else uncomfortable with the fact that there are an even eight B12 leftovers, and eight AAC “full” members... then the Navy/WSU oddball as #17?
                        No. There was a statement made that any decisions made post-OU/TU would be made about money, not balance.

edit: can’t remember who said it. It was someone in the know tho

Comment

Anyone else uncomfortable with the fact that there are an even eight B12 leftovers, and eight AAC “full” members... then the Navy/WSU oddball as #17?
                          Navy/WSU > ECU > Tulsa > Tulane
                          The Assman

Comment

• We've got a lot of chickens being counted and all I see are eggs lying around. I will admit that I am heartened to know that ESPN is indirectly working for our cause, AT THIS MOMENT... but I don't trust them any further than I can throw them. This entire deal is about ESPN making more money; the SECOND we are not contributory to that goal, we are roadkill.

I would temper your excitement and expect the worst. That way you'll only be surprised on the upside.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                              This map might look pretty silly in a couple weeks. I hope it isn't a jinx.

Comment

There are 10 “full” members of the AAC. WSU is technically a full member, just without football, making 11. Navy is an affiliate member, football only, and #12.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X