Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post
    Reports out of the B1G say they are not interested in expansion right now. Reading the tea leaves here but it seems like they are waiting for a big fish.

Other reports say that even/odd numbers do not matter to the P4. What matters is money generated by a school.

Also, KU generates next to nothing because their football is such a mess.
    That is actually not true. KU generates the 3rd most in the Big12.

Comment

• This might deserve another thread, but here is an interesting article in the Topeka paper about KU and KSU needing Board of Regents approval. And note some strange comments about WSU not getting KBOR approval before bolting to the AAC.

KU, K-State need Kansas Regents approval to leave Big 12 Conference (cjonline.com)

Comment

• OU and Texas officially applied for SEC Membership starting 2025 .. Step 2 for them to be gone by next year. They are following the legal route right now to start negotiations.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
          This might deserve another thread, but here is an interesting article in the Topeka paper about KU and KSU needing Board of Regents approval. And note some strange comments about WSU not getting KBOR approval before bolting to the AAC.

KU, K-State need Kansas Regents approval to leave Big 12 Conference (cjonline.com)
          If we had to rely on their approval, we'd probably still be in the MVC, even though the AAC boosts the prestige of both athletics and academics/research by being affiliated with larger and more similar universities.

The KBOR may not have much say in KU/KSU since the XII is falling apart. Hopefully they don't try to dictate they stay together as that may very well harm both.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

If we had to rely on their approval, we'd probably still be in the MVC, even though the AAC boosts the prestige of both athletics and academics/research by being affiliated with larger and more similar universities.

The KBOR may not have much say in KU/KSU since the XII is falling apart. Hopefully they don't try to dictate they stay together as that may very well harm both.

Trying to keep them together is one thing (could be positive), but" to fight "against" or allowing any of the three Div. 1 schools to "fight against" doing what is best for them, or the schools being allowed to "proceed to fight against WSU" from entering a conference that is good for them is another.

Comment

• I thought it was notable the comments about the financial impacts of the move to the AAC - seemed kind of cryptic.

Comment

I thought it was notable the comments about the financial impacts of the move to the AAC - seemed kind of cryptic.
                Dr. Bardo may have known them, and not trusted them, and their political support of WSU. IIRC, Jon Rolph who was on the BOR, had some cryptic reactions of his own, and seemed to not support the BOR actions (by withdrawing from voting) during the Jay Golden saga.

Comment

I thought it was notable the comments about the financial impacts of the move to the AAC - seemed kind of cryptic.
                  Those comments could be taken a couple of ways.

Has it been a net financial loss?

Has it been a net financial gain, but not what some on the BoR wanted to see?

And here's the thing. WSU knew it would be a net loss initially. And then with Covid, you can't judge the move just yet.

Comment

• Lots of pipe dreaming going on in this thread. Hope for the best but you better prepare yourself for the worst. We have absolutely ZERO pull. And the AAC has next to zero when it comes to Power conferences.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Make it happen!!
                      -
                      North South
                      WSU/Navy UH
                      Cinci SMU
                      Temple Memphis
                      KU UCF
                      KSU USF
                      OSU Baylor
                      ISU TTU
                      WVU TCU
                      Absolute ZERO chance. But oh boy, would it be glorious!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                        Lots of pipe dreaming going on in this thread. Hope for the best but you better prepare yourself for the worst. We have absolutely ZERO pull. And the AAC has next to zero when it comes to Power conferences.
                        I don't think anyone thinks the AAC has the same pull as a power conference.

The question is whether the Big XII (12 minus 2 now minus 2 more) without Texas and Oklahoma is actually a power conference.

Comment

• And this how ESPN legally funds this

Comment

That is actually not true. KU generates the 3rd most in the Big12.
                            That’s what I thought too. The conversation it was in was regarding football and TV rights, so I’m not sure that basketball is enough to make up for it. I’m sure this isn’t a convo about endowment.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I don't think anyone thinks the AAC has the same pull as a power conference.

The question is whether the Big XII (12 minus 2 now minus 2 more) without Texas and Oklahoma is actually a power conference.
                              Go sit in Boone Pickens or Snyder stadium for a game and get back to me on that. The boosters of those respective clubs would commit murder in the street before they would join an AAC. They would go independent first.

Comment

• This will NEVER be in the AAC.

Comment

Working...
                                X