Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really doubt the Zags will change conferences. Why would they? They already get top recruits, play a good non conference schedule and get a ton of publicity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      What has clearly been established is that the SEC controls the destiny of college sports
      SEC/FOOTBALL
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post
        I really doubt the Zags will change conferences. Why would they? They already get top recruits, play a good non conference schedule and get a ton of publicity.
        The only way the Zags would be an option is if we pulled in enough other western teams and the TV money made sense. Their basketball could afford the travel, their other sports, not so much. We'd have to pull in about half of the MWC to make that a possibility or make a lot more money from TV. I think we get around 2M from it. That's not convincing the Zags to join. I think we'd have to pull in CSU, Boise, Fresno, SDSU, UNLV/Nevada at a minimum to get them to consider. Really, having enough to break up the non-revenue sports into East/West divisions would make moving more justifiable for those schools beyond the front range that worry about sending volleyball and such to the east coast numerous times a year.

If that happens, it will probably take another round of expansion and the B12 taking a Boise or SDSU to convince enough other western teams to jump ship. I'm not sure those two are willing to move right now, but I'd love to be wrong.

I still think pulling in CSU and AFA is the easiest grabs from the MWC. If we just pull those two, and sit tight for a year or two, it may be ok. Though I do think Aresco wants to add four now, and I'm not opposed. But if you're only getting those two from the west, you have to pull in UAB and if Army is really ready to make the jump, those are your 12 football schools. Then you try and convince a VCU or Dayton to jump in to pair with Army. Or Army and AFA if AFA is willing to be football only, which I still have doubts about. Getting to those 12 and then waiting a couple of years to see if the B12 or others make moves as their TV deals come to an end isn't the worst option. I do think the Academies alone at least maintain us at our current deal.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          What if WSU just shows up to the Big East like they were invited, a la George Constanza.

WSU is definitely Penske material.
          Of course.....

Comment

• Sounds like CSU and Air Force are done deals. Also UAB is done but waiting on a partner.

I'm guessing he got CSU and Air Force .. Now to take a run at Army to pair with UAB. Then take another run at BSU and SDSU after getting the exit fees of UC, UH and UCF negotiated (so that he can toss some their way)

Comment

• There's not a single conference that has teams on both the east and west coast. Logistically, it just doesn't make sense. Travel costs are high and the wear and tear on the athletes would be too much to ask. As much as I'd like to see San Diego State or Gonzaga in our conference, I don't see it happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                There's not a single conference that has teams on both the east and west coast. Logistically, it just doesn't make sense. Travel costs are high and the wear and tear on the athletes would be too much to ask. As much as I'd like to see San Diego State or Gonzaga in our conference, I don't see it happening.
                East/West Divisions can make that happen. Very limited travel coast to coast ... especially in olympic sports.

Comment

• It would be a mistake if the AAC stopped at 11 teams. For the 12th team, if they AAC can't pair a football school (Army or maybe App State) with an Olympic sports partner (A10 team) the AAC would be hard pressed to find a better all-sports add than Liberty (as controversial as that may be). Liberty is strong at basketball and football, has a large student body + alumni base, and is a geographic bridge between Temple and ECU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Sounds like CSU and Air Force are done deals. Also UAB is done but waiting on a partner.

I'm guessing he got CSU and Air Force .. Now to take a run at Army to pair with UAB. Then take another run at BSU and SDSU after getting the exit fees of UC, UH and UCF negotiated (so that he can toss some their way)
                    I'll definitely take this for now. Especially if it gets us another top notch non-football school to pair up with a football only.

If Army falls through, I'm still drawn to the potential of Buffalo, and they already have had some decent success. Though I wouldn't mind seeing another Texas school, but I'm not sure if one fits the bill right now. UTSA has potential, but is still pretty new to FBS and their basketball has been poor I believe. North Texas wouldn't be bad but they share the DFW market, but still may be worth it. I hope it isn't Rice. They would have to make a commitment to sports and I think I'd only be OK with them if we had to get to 16 down the road.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                      It would be a mistake if the AAC stopped at 11 teams. For the 12th team, if they AAC can't pair a football school (Army or maybe App State) with an Olympic sports partner (A10 team) the AAC would be hard pressed to find a better all-sports add than Liberty (as controversial as that may be). Liberty is strong at basketball and football, has a large student body + alumni base, and is a geographic bridge between Temple and ECU.
                      I don't hate Liberty. But do school presidents hate Liberty? That's the only thing holding them back right now as they check all of the other boxes.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Sounds like CSU and Air Force are done deals. Also UAB is done but waiting on a partner.

My green and gold birdie confirmed CSU has one foot out the door, just working on small details now. He claims AFA is definitely in and it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't the both of them. I wish I had a blue and white birdie to confirm this but they're a more rare species. Anyway, CSU has been trying to get out of the MWC for years so this is a long time coming.

Regarding SDSU and BSU, I am told this is all but dead. You can blame BSU. SDSU was willing, but not without BSU and BSU wants to wait for B12 expansion. The AAC was not willing to reduce entrance/exit fees for BSU if they got a B12 invite.

The focus has now shifted to Army. Absolutely no clue if there would be a basketball only addition to offset them if they work out.

"It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Interesting scenario I haven't seen discussed.

[jwplayer jF5wU66N-sNi3MVSU] Conference Realignment Is No Longer Pending; It’s Here How will the Mountain West react? Contact/Follow @MWCwire Time to be aggressive, Craig Thompson The Mountai…

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                            Anyway, CSU has been trying to get out of the MWC for years so this is a long time coming.
                            How come?

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

How come?
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

How come?
                                Mainly revolves around media exposure and prestige.

I guess there's a feeling that playing more games in the central and eastern time zones, and in AAC markets (even without Cincy, Houston, and Orlando), will boost brand recognition and recruiting, and that there's value in this even if there's not a significant increase in conference TV money.

Also, I sense a real frustration being part of a conference that doesn't treat its members equally.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X